Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,908

1 members and 1,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Fee" for lending out breeder males

I've already spoke with a breeder, and I'm planning on picking up a breeder sized male at an expo next weekend to pair with one of my females. I believe my friend will be picking up a close-to breeder sized female from the same breeder.

My friend is already asking to use my male to pair with her female, which I have no problem with. My question is, what is an acceptable fee to ask for her using my male? How do I determine what's fair to take in a clutch that can have anywhere from $60 normals to possibly $1000 morph babies? The pairing would be lesser x spider. She said that if she got two lesser bees that I could have one (which would be awesome), but I'm not sure if that's a proper trade.

This will be my first year at attempting to breed, so still trying to learn some of the ins and outs of it all.
    Ball Pythons - 1.0 Normal, 1.1 Piebalds, 1.1 Lessers, 0.1 Pastel het OG
    Dogs - 1.0 Boxer/Bulldog mix, 1.0 Doberman

Cat - 1.0 Siamese mix

RIP Bear, my beautiful, sweet girl

Thanks
    The way I have always done it is , split the clutch 50/50 value wise.

Thanks

Re: "Fee" for lending out breeder males

Quote Originally Posted by Patience Cooper View Post
    The way I have always done it is , split the clutch 50/50 value wise.
    I haven't bred yet, but me and a few friends have already talked about this and this is exactly what we came up with. 50% is better than 0%. You just have to make sure that where ever your BP(s) go, they will be getting the best of care while they are gone or it really isn't worth anything.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    dog breeders usually "usually" have a contract made. I've seen deals that the person with the stud, this case the sire, the owner would get first dibs on the one animal, plus a percent of cash from what's sold.
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Registered User CapeFearConstrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    From what I've been told by several established breeders is that the owner of the more valuable snake gets first pick, then the other guy picks one, and so on. Also, lesser bees are not even going for $1000 this season, so they aren't going to be that much next season.
    Josh
    Cape Fear Constrictors
    http://capefearconstrictors.com | Facebook | YouTube

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CapeFearConstrictors For This Useful Post:

Ally. (08-29-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I've only loaned out one male, and gave a female to a friend to be bred by one of his.

The male I loaned out was a breeding loan that I really didn't care what came of it. I just let him use my male but I don't want any babies. I was giving that male to my sister after I got him back anyway..

My big female on the other hand, means a lot to me. I let a breeder friend take her for a few months to be bred to a couple high end males but she didn't take. I took her back to do my own breeding this fall. The agreement was 50/50 split. If there happened to be an odd number of morphs, he said I could have the extra, but I wouldn't care either way.

Now there is the possibility of sperm retention since she locked multiple times all summer with his males. If I do still get a morph from his pairings, he will be informed and we'd still split whatever we could 50/50. If there was only one from his pairings, and the rest from my pairings, I'd just give it to him.

The point I'm making is you need to figure out what will be done in every scenario. There has to be trust between the two of you, and some give and take.

It's easier if your friend lives near you and is a well known and trusted friend.

Otherwise, you really need to document your agreement, what will be done in any scenario the clutch can provide. A contract of sorts is a great idea if you both are in it for gain.
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 08-29-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Breeding loans are where lots of people get into situations where there are hard feelings at the end. You should have a contract that specifies every detail of every contingency. Who is responsible if the loaned snake gets sick? What is compensation if the snake dies? Who is responsible for vet bills? Who pays for food during the breeding loan? What happens if the person who owns the snake moves? What happens if there is only one nice morph in the clutch? How does the split happen? When does the split happen? and on and on and on.....

I've started to go down this path once, but when I started working through a contract with the partner, we both decided we didn't want to pursue because there are just too many opportunities for misunderstandings and bad feelings.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Ally. (08-29-2012),C&H Exotic Morphs (08-30-2012),Jabberwocky Dragons (08-29-2012),jben (09-02-2012),Serpent_Nirvana (08-29-2012)

Thanks
    Oh, and don't forget quarantine procedures. That will add months to the loans.

I'd just avoid them.

Thanks

Re: "Fee" for lending out breeder males

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM75 View Post
    I haven't bred yet, but me and a few friends have already talked about this and this is exactly what we came up with. 50% is better than 0%. You just have to make sure that where ever your BP(s) go, they will be getting the best of care while they are gone or it really isn't worth anything.

Just my 2 cents.
    I know lesser bees aren't going for $1000, I was just using that figure amount as an example. Also, with dogs, you're right, the owner of the stud generally gets first pick. But that's also in a litter where all pups will be close to the same in value.

I trust my friend 100%. If anything were to happen to my male (god forbid) while in her care, she'd take full responsibility. And I'll also be using my male too so she'd only probably have him for a few days every couple of weeks so feeding wouldn't be an issue. I also don't want half of her clutch. That would be more babies I'd have to sell. But getting a lesser bee out of it would be awesome. So maybe if she's willing to make that deal, then we could go from there. I just didn't know what was acceptable, but seeing as how most people split the clutch 50/50, giving me a lesser bee (if she gets one) would be more than fair on her end.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! This is why I love this site everyone is more than willing to be friendly and help out!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Oh, and don't forget quarantine procedures. That will add months to the loans.

I'd just avoid them.
    They should be done quarantine by the time breeding season starts, though. And if we have to start a little later, that's okay too.
    Ball Pythons - 1.0 Normal, 1.1 Piebalds, 1.1 Lessers, 0.1 Pastel het OG
    Dogs - 1.0 Boxer/Bulldog mix, 1.0 Doberman

Cat - 1.0 Siamese mix

RIP Bear, my beautiful, sweet girl

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I would NEVER breed in-house then send a male out then bring it back and breed in-house with him and then send him back and forth, not a chance...

The only way anyone uses my males that I am also breeding is in my house.
    If a male gets breeder loaned it goes to the other persons house and stays there until the breeding season is over and then goes into quarantine when it returns to my house.
    Jerry Robertson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast