Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,482

2 members and 3,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

My BP is in his hide the whole day after eating

Hi all,

I finally fed Elliot today and he easily finished up two mice without much difficulty (he had difficulty in the 1st one as he struck the mice from the back and began eating it from the back rather than head first). Anyhow after eating he just went into his hide and this was in the afternoon today. I assumed he would be active again at night (like how he was in the previous nights), but seems like he's been in his hide all day long after his meal.

I am assuming this is very normal? How long before he starts coming out again? It was such a joy to watch Elliot take his first meal as he took both the hoppers live.

Below is a video of him taking his first meal although I thought he was struggling at first in the beginning...you'll see why in the video

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    A hiding bp is a happy bp.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (08-30-2012),Flikky (08-28-2012),Iamelliot (08-28-2012),Skittles1101 (08-30-2012)

Thanks

Re: My BP is in his hide the whole day after eating

A happy ball python is a hiding ball python.

Elliot is happily digesting his meal. My BPs rarely come out of their hides anyway. I normally don't see them unless I pull them out to hold them. If he's usually out and moving, it may be an indication that something is wrong. He could be hungry. He could be too warm. He could be too cold. He might even be trying to find a place to hide that offers him security. What are your temps like? What does your set up look like?
    Last edited by BHReptiles; 08-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakehobbyist View Post
    A happy ball python is a hiding ball python.

Elliot is happily digesting his meal. My BPs rarely come out of their hides anyway. I normally don't see them unless I pull them out to hold them. If he's usually out and moving, it may be an indication that something is wrong. He could be hungry. He could be too warm. He could be too cold. He might even be trying to find a place to hide that offers him security. What are your temps like? What does your set up look like?
    Thanks Snakehobbyist for your comment. My setup is fairly simple and I don't have any issues with temps as I live in the tropics anyway (Malaysia!). So my temps get about 29 degrees (Celsius) during the night and up to 32-33 degrees in the day. So you're saying that every time if the snake is out during the evening/night, it means it's hungry? Lol I thought the boy just wanted to stretch himself!

He's usually out during the day (in the mornings) but will return to his hide in the afternoon and come out again in the evening/night. I guess this is not normal?

Thanks
    Snakes are going to do what they want. If he hides a good bit of the time and eats well and your husbandry is good, he will be fine. Mine come out for a stroll here and there, but they are happy in their homes. And no, not every time will it mean they are hungry. Mine like to switch from cool to warm and vice versa a bit, so that could be the case as well!!!

BTW, my girl tried to eat her 3rd meal with me like that and I ended up having to throw it out because she had it half way down and spit it up....but she ate it fine the next day. My boy has NEVER had any issues eating mice/rats live/frozen!!! All snakes are different!!! Just remember, as long as they hide most of the time, they are happy and ok!!!
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    While a hiding ball is a happy ball they should not hide without ever coming out. Elliot is acting normal. Mine will usually stay put for two days after feeding and then return to coming out a bit each night. It is never that long but it is regular. I work nights so I'm up nights. I think this has allowed me to see my snakes act more natural than you day walkers. I could easily see how it would seem your bp never moves if I only observed it during the day.

Now if he stays active day and night for extended periods of time you need to check the cage numbers, but a nightly crawl is nothing to worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know his weight?

It is always hard to judge size on a video but it kinda looks like one mouse would be fine. What feeding regiment are you trying?

Mouse weight?
    How often?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Our BP always hides for a couple days- then starts to poke her head & body out more and more during day time hours. Usually 2-3 days post eating, I'll see evidence in her tank that she was out & about at night- moved hides, knocked down "plants" off the side of tank lol We always joke that she's "redesigning her tank at night" Also, she's always pooped at night

Otherwise, she comes out when we take her out. And the only other times I've seen her cruising her cage during the day, is when she's hungry. Sure enough we feed her and she's back to her regular "hide" routine.

Thanks

Sounds as normal as can be. He'll be back out again once he's digested a bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    While a hiding ball is a happy ball they should not hide without ever coming out.
    I guess my comment was misleading. I never SEE my girls moving however when I do my bedchecks, they have usually moved from the hot side to the cold side of the tank and vice versa. I will always find shavings in their water and temperature probes moved around. They do move, I just don't see it. It must be when I'm asleep or away. Sorry if I didn't make that clear!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    A hiding bp is a happy bp.
    X2. He is probably just digesting. No worries.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.