Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,678

0 members and 1,678 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660
    Thanks

Hoped it would never happen, had my first escape today

I was trying out an animal plastics rack that was given to me in a trade, well the tubs had about a half inch gap that i thought was too small for my pastel to squeeze through. Turns out it was too big a gap he got out , lucky for me I walk into my room and he had just crawled up the rack to the higher level and was hanging out he has since been put in my regular escape proof rack .
    It's funny when I walked in he was looking in the spiders tub as if to either make fun of him like haha I'm out here or to say hey come join me, then I said "Houdini what are you doing?" he turned to me as if to say oh crap I'm busted.
    So happy he was in plain sight and have taken proper precautions to make sure it never happens again
    1.0 Pastave YellowBelly
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Pied
    0.1 Pinstripe possible dh albino og
    0.1 Specter
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Chocolate
    0.1 Black Pastel Het Orange Ghost
    0.1 YellowBelly Sub Saharan Giant
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel ph Caramel Albino

1.0 Coastal x Diamond Carpet Python

Thanks
    1/2" is way too much gap for any BP. If they can get their head through it they can start to warp the tub enough to get out.

The racks I've built for our collection have about a 1/16" gap at most, but i've never measured it exactly just going off the thickness of 2 blank DVDs i used as spacers to build them.

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    I have 3 C-Serpents racks and they are quite tight fitting so there is not enough gap for even a hatchling to escape out of a gap between the tub and shelf.

I have however had a few larger bp's... 850g Pinstripe and a 825g Pastel wedge their tubs out far enough to nearly escape. They are in V18 tubs and have enough strength to be able to use their mass to wedge the tub out of the shelf a bit. First time I thought I didn't push the tub in all the way after cleaning... second time there was no mistaking my Pin wedged her tub out. Thankfully they were never able to wedge the tub out enough to escape.

Here is my fix..... I used galvanized roofing nails with the tip ground smooth and my dremel to make a hole for the nail to fit into. The heads are so flat that they do not cause interference when removing a tub from the shelf.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

Flikky (08-28-2012)