Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

1 members and 3,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My roommate's cat Dobby was born in our den from the mama cat left behind by the house's previous occupants (who left a year before -- grr! and the mama cat lives with my father now). His birthday is Monday and he'll be 4 years old. Apparently he decided to celebrate it by spending a lot of money.

Dobby is a big (17 lb.) swaggering solid white tomcat (fixed) who thinks he owns the neighborhood. We've tried keeping him inside, but it can be difficult with an armload of groceries or something, and he always seemed to do just fine holding his own in fights and running fast from cars. The worst he's ever come home with is a little tear on his ear.

This morning Dobby came home with a deep cut at least 2" long (he didn't want me investigating too closely) to the bone or close to it, following the curve of his tail, about 3" from the base. It looked like it was sliced with a lawnmower's rotary blade. I called my roommate who was already on the way to work and told her to get home and take her cat to the vet. She asked if I'd take him and I told her I would if she'd pay for the time I missed from work. An argument ensued but the end result was she turned around and came home and took Dobby to the vet.

She took him to the vet closest to our house where I've taken my cat and dog but she hadn't been before. He agreed it looked like a cut from a rotary blade and suspected Dobby had been under the hood when someone started their car this morning. Thank goodness whoever it was apparently turned off the car immediately.

Anyway, to keep a long story from getting any longer, he scheduled Dobby for immediate surgery and thinks he can be ready to go home this afternoon, but is entirely unsure whether he'll be able to save the tail. Apparently Dobby didn't suffer any internal injuries, for which we are grateful, but he may or may not lose his tail and either way my roommate's going to be out about $400 which will probably mean I have to cover more of the bills.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awwwwwwww....poor Dobby! I hope they can save his tail!!

Is Dobby named after the house elf in the Harry Potter books? Cute name! I'm glad his injuries weren't more severe!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Yes, he is named after the house elf, and my sister's childhood nickname was Winkie, so we have a pair of them. I hope the doc can save his tail, too. He said he was going to give it his best shot because cats are too proud to not have tails, tho dogs do just fine without.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    sorry to hear about Dobby.
    I have assisted with a few tail amputations and luckily it is not an extremely complex procedure. I bet he'll be good as new in no time.
    I'm glad his injuries weren't more severe!
    Thanks
    rsuty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Thanks, Rusty. I'm glad it was just his tail, too, as I've seen a lot worse done when cat meets car (that's how I came to have a tripod cat for a while). Hopefully he'll be able to keep his tail and there won't be any problems with infection.

Thanks
    OK, an update on Dobby: although we couldn't see it, apparently his tail was sliced all the way from base to tip. The doctor was, however, able to save the tail. It's a good thing that it was sliced rather than chopped or mangled. Dobby will be coming home in a couple of hours. ::whew::

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm so glad he's going to be OK! He'll be proudly waving his banner in no time!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks, Judy, I hope you're right.

Thanks
    Glad to hear that Dobby is doing well...he's still in my kitty prayers tho.
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

Thanks
    Thanks, Sass. I'm sure he can use them to help fight off infection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast