Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

1 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Handling my BP for the first time

Hi all,

Greetings from the other side of the world Malaysia :-) . I acquired a 2 month old male BP yesterday. He seemed to be settling into his new home alright (he seems to enjoy his hide and last night he was busy checking out his cage - sniffing around the corners in particular. Earlier tonight I decided to pick him up. I noticed that as I stroked him (in the middle) he started to constrict and tension up. I was abut surprised but I continued to gently stroke him (although at times I did panic during the stroking session as he started to 'tightened' himself - was just afraid he would strike at me). Hedid move his upper body into an S curve shape. After a few minutes I picked him up and left him on my couch. He curled into a ball and I tried to stay behind his head so that I would not be struck at. Eventually he started to uncoil and began moving very fast on my couch. I admit I got kinda panicky so I quickly lifted him up and dropped him back. I moved him straight to his hide where he quickly went in and hid. That was about 45minutes ago. I just checked the cage and Elliot is out again sniffing his cage.

Any idea why he started moving very rapidly after uncoiling on my couch? It was quite nerve wrecking for me as this is my first time handling a snake on my own. I am usually more confident when people are around me but handling a snake when you're alone...kinda scary

Also when I picked him up after he started moving very rapidly I kinda just carried him rather fearfully back to his cage. Not sure if that added additional stress to him.

Thanks
    Hes still ypung abd not used to being handled. He should grow out of it after a while with more handling.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    He needs time to adjust. Leave him alone without handling him for at least a week. Though many here suggest not trying to handle until you have had three good feedings.

Balling up is what they do. So when you touch it many times it will respond with balling up. It is natural.

As far as moving quickly on the couch. They don't like being in the open. He was probably trying to make it to cover before he was eaten. Again its their nature.

Until you get over your fear only handle him while sitting on the couch. This way if you drop him it will not be to far.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-26-2012),Iamelliot (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Handling my BP for the first time

You really do need to give your snake some time to acclimate before handling like that. He sounds very stressed out right now. If you are nervous like that, your snake can sense that. Just try to keep calm. A bp bite will not hurt that bad. Dogs and cats will do more damage to you when they bite.

Thanks

Iamelliot,

I was the same way because I was new to this and I'm in my mid 40's y/o. I was always scared of getting bit, but it really doesn't hurt. It's cute in a way because when they try it, nothing happened. It felt more of a push then a strike. I can tell you a puppy or cat's playful nibble hurts more. My 11 y/o daughter got bit two days ago, but nothing happened. No cuts, no marks, no pain. When it happened she laughed about it saying "I can't believe Humphrey bit me". She described it as an infant nibbling on your skin.

Nonetheless, what we did was handle the snakes for longer times as time passed by. At first we handled the new ones 5mins, then 10 mins, etc. We now handle some of them for 1 hour. My daughter actually has them on her lap as she does homework or watches tv. The first few times they would sit on my lap in a ball and then open up exploring. With my daughter, they are comfortable with her and never ball up and love to explore and hide in her hair.

The best thing to do is not stress them and in your case balling up means it's stressed, then taking off across the couch to get away. I'm not an expert and recently a beginner to BP's myself but build your relationship slowly so it trusts you and learns you are not a threat. I was a corn snake lover and still am but nothing beats the docile nature of the BP. Corns are great pets too but they can't stay still always on the move. The BP's are slow moving and are more prone to stay still when they are comfortable.

The one thing i do which really helped me with the new ones was when picking them up, I would distract them with one hand in front of them, then pick them up from behind with my other hand. Since we've been doing this, we haven't gotten bit since. Just my 2 cents

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iamelliot View Post
    Earlier tonight I decided to pick him up. I noticed that as I stroked him (in the middle) he started to constrict and tension up. I was abut surprised but I continued to gently stroke him (although at times I did panic during the stroking session as he started to 'tightened' himself - was just afraid he would strike at me).
    Maybe someone can correct me but snakes are unlike other pets, dog, cats... I don't think they like to be stroked and others may disagree. The reason for this I read is in the wild predators would grab them by the head, tail, or mid-body and have them for supper. Every snake I've had has reacted the same way yours has but I have a few now that allow us to stroke their heads and inspect their body's without tensing up. With time, some longer then others, will allow this. The key here is to build your relationship with your little one and when they trust you, you'll notice the change.
    1.0 Normal BP, 1.0 Axanthic BP, 0.1 Pastel het Ax. BP, 1.0 Spider het Pied BP, 0.1 Mojave BP
    2.0 Normal corns
    0.1 Anery corn
    0.1 Amel corn

7. The Following User Says Thank You to icejd7 For This Useful Post:

Iamelliot (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    Don't worry about a bite...hundreds of people in here have photos of their bite and it rarely draws more then a drop of blood. It is more funny then painful. Don't be scared around the snake. Be confident and the snake will notice. Cheers!
    0.1.0 Columbian Boa: Nibbles
    0.1.0 Ball Python: Cuddles
    1.1.0 Pit Bulls: Rosie and Conan
    0.0.1 Black Moore Gold Fish: Godzilla
    0.0.1 Multi Colored Gold Fish: Multi Cam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icejd7 View Post
    Maybe someone can correct me but snakes are unlike other pets, dog, cats... I don't think they like to be stroked and others may disagree. The reason for this I read is in the wild predators would grab them by the head, tail, or mid-body and have them for supper. .
    Hi Ice,

Thank you for your reply I actually got this "tip" from a youtube video I was watching where the owner was saying that stroking helps the snake realize that you are there and that you do not intend to hurt him. The video explained that stroking for a few moments will ease the snake and then it will be easier to pick him up rather than to just pick him up straight away.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamelliot View Post
    Hi Ice,

Thank you for your reply I actually got this "tip" from a youtube video I was watching where the owner was saying that stroking helps the snake realize that you are there and that you do not intend to hurt him. The video explained that stroking for a few moments will ease the snake and then it will be easier to pick him up rather than to just pick him up straight away.

Any thoughts on this?
    Nah i just go in for it. Hesitation is what will get you bit imo. None of my adults have ever acted aggressive enough where i felt like i was gunna get bit. If i rub them then usually theyll puff up, hiss, or flick their bodies at me bc im annoying them. So if i know i need to take them out i just reach in and get them. Once you grab them and theyre out of the cage theyre always fine.

The only time i dont do that is with an "aggressive" hatchling. My baby lesser likes to act tough sometimes so ill just reach in an cover her with my whole hand and then pick her up. Shes never bit, she always just balls up. Its kinda like my way of discouraging her "tough girl" behaviour she tries to intimidate me with lol. Ive also reached in and grabbed her too and she usually just balls up then too. So either way is fine imo.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Iamelliot (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    I just pick her up. I don't waste time by rubbing mine before hand. Like I said be cool and confident and your snake will know. When I got mine a month ago she was in bad shap and now she is the happiest snake in the whole world. She isn't head shy as much. She doesn't ball up vey often. She's just a happy little snake and I am proud to own her.
    0.1.0 Columbian Boa: Nibbles
    0.1.0 Ball Python: Cuddles
    1.1.0 Pit Bulls: Rosie and Conan
    0.0.1 Black Moore Gold Fish: Godzilla
    0.0.1 Multi Colored Gold Fish: Multi Cam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    The only time i dont do that is with an "aggressive" hatchling. My baby lesser likes to act tough sometimes so ill just reach in an cover her with my whole hand and then pick her up.
    Thanks Mike. Would you still consider a 2-month old python still a baby?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darthkevin View Post
    I just pick her up. I don't waste time by rubbing mine before hand. Like I said be cool and confident and your snake will know. When I got mine a month ago she was in bad shap and now she is the happiest snake in the whole world. She isn't head shy as much. She doesn't ball up vey often. She's just a happy little snake and I am proud to own her.
    How old is yours Kev?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast