Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,496

2 members and 3,494 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mykee View Post
    How will you determine the difference between a true birth defect and human error (incubator spike, etc)?
    I think a little more thought needs to go into this before "launch".
    Both natural and human error defects are important to document. If documenting all the human error related defects, we could possibly rule out inheritance for those certain traits. And it could possibly be used to improve incubation methods to avoid such error. Just state the defect reasoning in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    3) Possible reasoning for the defect (i.e. random defect, incubation temperature drop/spike, affiliated with morph, etc. etc.).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 08-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Both natural and human error defects are important to document.
    You can mess up ANY morph if you screw with the temps. Totally useless IMO.
    As for learning from someone else errors in incubation; keep your incubator between 87-90.
    Problem solved.
    Last edited by mykee; 08-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mykee View Post
    You can mess up ANY morph if you screw with the temps. Totally useless IMO.
    As for learning from someone else errors in incubation.
    It's not pointless. If we can weed out what's genetic and what's actual temperature based, I find that rather informative.

And as for improving incubation. Well, clearly there are folks who are still getting incubation based defects....

Either way, I wanted a thread to document any sort of anomaly....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

- - - Updated - - -

Black Pastel
    Defect: Kinked spine, eyeless, deformed jaw, fused body.
    No known incubation errors. It could just be a random defect.
    The parents were a Black Pewter Butter to a Normal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Flikky (10-12-2013),meowmeowkazoo (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    Nikki - It amazes me that snakes that are that badly deformed even make it all the way through incubation. Crazy.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    I think it's a good idea. Though I do worry that there may be fluctuations in incubation temperatures we may not know about. I'm crazy about checking temps, I'll do it to pass the time (go through tub to tub, etc) but there's no way for me to know if it changed at any point between. And being gone for a whole work day means that there's a 10 hour period where I'm not able to know.

Does anyone know of an app or program that could remotely check a thermometer you have at home? Or maybe just records temperature fluctuations during the day? I think that information would go a long way in this type of a situation

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Well, you guys know I'm going to add my experience to this thread.

First up is Athena. My adult normal female. She was born eyeless, and there was another hatchling in her clutch that had a deformed jaw. I do not know if that one survived. There were I believe two or three other hatchlings in the clutch that were normal, and Pat and I believe this defects may have been caused by an incubation issue. Athena eats well, shed and grows normally, and is very healthy. And just because I can, here is her pic.

Next up is a clutch of my own babies. I had two fires that were born eyeless, one normal born with one eye, and one normal with a deformed lower jaw, this baby also does not appear to have a tongue. This was caused by a known incubation issue. My incubator malfunctioned about 45 days into their incubation, and spiked to 120 before I caught it. There were other clutches in the incubator as well. The mojave clutch, which was sitting at about 50 days, showed no ill effects from the temp spike at all. All 6 babies hatched completely normal. The multi sire clutch of my husbands was at about day 30, and they all appear to be normal as well.

Here are a few pictures of the fires and normals that were hatched with minor defects.

I have two clutches still in the incubator. My pied clutch was only at about day 10 when the spike hit. Once they emerge, I will know if they have any problems from the incubator spike. The final clutch was not in the incubator at the time.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 08-26-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Flikky (10-12-2013),maegalcarwen (05-06-2013),nykea (07-08-2013),satomi325 (08-26-2012)

Thanks

Re: The Official Birth Defect Documentary

For all the types of threads that are started on here, this seems like it will serve a more useful purpose than many of them. What is the currently accepted way to humanely dispatch severely deformed snakes?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfiend138 For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: The Official Birth Defect Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by gardenfiend138 View Post
    For all the types of threads that are started on here, this seems like it will serve a more useful purpose than many of them. What is the currently accepted way to humanely dispatch severely deformed snakes?
    I believe pithing is the most humane.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

gardenfiend138 (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    And pithing is what, exactly?
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts
    Via wiki
    Pithing /pɪθɪŋ/ is a slaughtering technique in which the brain of the animal is destroyed by a tool called a pithing cane or rod, which is inserted into the hole which is created by captive bolt stunning. Trained slaughtermen will be experienced in the use of captive bolt weapons. After stunning, the rod is inserted into the stunning hole and pushed to its full length, the rod then remains locked in the hole and is disposed of with the animal. Pithing destroys the spinal cord, thus killing the animal, and also may reduce the reflex kicking which occurs at stunning, and so contribute to the safety of the casualty slaughterman. This method is also used when dealing with diseased animals in the case of epidemic or notifiable disease. Pithing is viewed as a humane way of killing an animal that is going to be slaughtered or destroyed for disease control or humane reasons, for example an animal which is severely injured in an accident. When animals must be killed humanely on farm for disease control purposes or in an emergency situation, disposable pithing rods allow the slaughterman to adopt best practice. They ensure humane slaughter, seal the stunning hole reducing bleeding and so provide good biosecurity protection and eliminate the need to bleed out the animal. Disposable devices will help to ensure that the rods do not represent a risk of disease spread, and that they remain with the animal when it is disposed. In the case of outbreak of notifiable or epidemic disease, government agencies and welfare organisations may develop contingency plans. "Planned stocking" may be necessary to ensure that rods are available at short notice in the event of a disease outbreak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast