Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

3 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Dehydrated??

Thanks

Dehydrated??

Hi y'all, I'm a little concerned about my female albino. I bought her from an individual that claimed he was a breeder, I went to his house to purchase two albinos & a ghost. While there I asked to see his incubators (I'm planning on breeding when the worms are ready) but he said his business partner had everything set up at his place, due to a recent move. I bought the snakes anyways, I just couldn't pass on the deal he gave me. The albino female I purchased had a bowl movement while in the hands of my mother at the "breeder's" house so I took that as a good (healthy) sign. Well when I brought her home my boyfriend pointed out she was noticeably wrinkly on her sides. A couple hours later I looked in her viv & she had shed (a perfect one at that) I may be paranoid but I have a feeling she is dehydrated. What do y'all think? Let me know if more pics are needed.

& to make a long story short I found out the guy is a jobber. I got him a good deal on a snake from a personal breeder friend & the dude turned around & posted it on CL for a $300 profit.

Don't know if this helps but she turned down an adult mouse- didn't want anything to do with it.
    -TAYLOR
    1.0 AMAZING BOYFRIEND- HUNTER
    BALLS
    0.1 NORMAL- CERSEI, 1.0 GHOST-JESSE JAMES, 1.0 ALBINO- RA, 0.1 ALBINO- CYBELLE, 1.0 HIGH WHITE PIED- WYATT, 1.0 SPIDER- KRONOS, 0.1 PASTEL- CLEOPATRA

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    She looks fine to me. Wrinkly skin usually means an upcoming shed as well. And you did mention she did shed.
    But if you feel that she's dehydrated, just make sure she has a water dish in her enclosure and she'll drink on her own.

Did you offer food before or after a shed?
    Sometimes snakes don't like to feed during a shed.
    And I would leave her be for a week before offering food. This gives her time to adjust to her new environment. So I wouldn't be concerned about her turning down food yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade (08-25-2012)

Thanks
    Okay thank you for the info. She has a large water bowl & I offered the mouse the day after she shed but she reacted like she was frightened by it. Like you said, I'm just going to leave her be for a week before offering another meal. Thank you for your opinion & advice!
    -TAYLOR
    BALLS
    0.1 NORMAL- CERSEI, 1.0 GHOST-JESSE JAMES, 1.0 ALBINO- RA, 0.1 ALBINO- CYBELLE, 1.0 HIGH WHITE PIED- WYATT, 1.0 SPIDER- KRONOS, 0.1 PASTEL- CLEOPATRA

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    does not look dehydrated, what the mouse live or F/T? what was it eating before hand?
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nstinct For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade (09-16-2012)

Thanks
    More pictures are always welcomed! ;P
    + I agree with the others, she does not look dehydrated.

M

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrl249 For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade (09-16-2012)

Thanks

Re: Dehydrated??

Quote Originally Posted by 1nstinct View Post
    does not look dehydrated, what the mouse live or F/T? what was it eating before hand?
    The "breeder" I bought her from said she was eating live adult mice, but I honestly think he never fed her (you know how jobbers just try & flip snakes for a profit ASAP). I offered her live, she balled up & acted like she was scared of it & I offered her fresh killed- still didn't want anything to do with it. Like y'all suggested, I'm going to give her a week to settle in before offering her the next meal. Thank y'all so much for the opinons & advice! I think I'm just a worrier! Lol.
    -TAYLOR
    BALLS

Thanks
    Good news... she has taken three live adult mice (5 days in between feedings) & she is looking a lot better now. Thanks y'all for the advice & putting my mind at ease! Blessed be!
    -TAYLOR
    BALLS

Thanks
    Great! In my opinion she did look kind of thin, some breeders dont feed their hatchlings as they are supossed to. You can really notice the spine in the first pic, and in the other one I think its obvious she didnt have a good meal for a while. A got a couple of YB last december and they were six month old, weighting 130g each !!! The male is now at 600 and the female 350(she´s a bad eater)

Thanks

Re: Dehydrated??

Quote Originally Posted by rafacacho View Post
    Great! In my opinion she did look kind of thin, some breeders dont feed their hatchlings as they are supossed to. You can really notice the spine in the first pic, and in the other one I think its obvious she didnt have a good meal for a while. A got a couple of YB last december and they were six month old, weighting 130g each !!! The male is now at 600 and the female 350(she´s a bad eater)
    Yeah she started out @ 159g but I've gotten her up to 275g in 3 months on a 5 day feeding schedule. Its a shame how people that just "flip" snakes for profit (the middle man) don't take proper care of the snakes & try spending the least amount of $$ on them- feeding every 5 days adds up if you're not breeding your own prey.
    -TAYLOR
    BALLS