Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

0 members and 3,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Next step up in reptile keeping?

So, in snake words, what is the next level? I've kept a cornsnake, and currently have my first ball python. What's next in terms of difficulty? I've been eyeballing sand boas and hognose so far... what is the third fourth so on easiest snakes? Or reptiles?
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't be asking myself what's hard/easy, I'd be asking what am I interested in?

I'm going for stuff I like personally. Like I love pacman frogs, they're easy and low maintenance, and come in cool colors. I really want tokay geckos one day cuz I like some of their morphs and how feisty they are. I want a boa morph one day and I really want a gtp because they're gorgeous display animals and I kinna have a thing for vicious critters with attitude.

So... what do you like the look of? What are you interested in? How much space and funds do you have? I'm sure you'll find something you'll love Good luck!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

AK907 (08-25-2012),Capray (08-25-2012)

Thanks
    Honestly the more common types of snakes are going to all be pretty easy to keep. Always challenge yourself!! Hog nose snakes are considered "rear fanged" but they sure are pretty and stay small and are fairly easy to handle. I bought a tri color hog a few years back and that thing was awesome and not so common!
    But it really just depends on what your into, and what size ur abled to handle. Besides my Bps i tend to get stuff thats not so common.
    "You can derelict my balls, capi-tan." -zoolander
    lots o ball pythons!
    www.holdfastreptiles.com

Thanks

Re: Next step up in reptile keeping?

I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered on this site, the next step is having 20 bps.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fidget For This Useful Post:

Capray (08-26-2012),irishanaconda (08-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be asking myself what's hard/easy, I'd be asking what am I interested in?

I'm going for stuff I like personally. Like I love pacman frogs, they're easy and low maintenance, and come in cool colors. I really want tokay geckos one day cuz I like some of their morphs and how feisty they are. I want a boa morph one day and I really want a gtp because they're gorgeous display animals and I kinna have a thing for vicious critters with attitude.

So... what do you like the look of? What are you interested in? How much space and funds do you have? I'm sure you'll find something you'll love Good luck!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Good advice.

However, if you want a challenge without it being too difficult, check out amazon tree boas. They come in a plethora of colors, have a little more specific husbandry than balls/corns and are lots of fun and will keep you on your toes. You'll want to pick up a box of band-aids at time of purchase too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (08-25-2012)

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

It's all about what you like. I do hours of research usually before buying a new addition. And yes I have rehomed many after realizing I was in over my head or didn't enjoy the animal as much as I thought I would. I.E. the 14 foot burm I rescued years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time but a couple months of wrestling her and almost losing more than once I decided maybe I should have started off with a baby so I traded her to a breeder for a hatchling. Lol. I'm staying with balls and leopard geckos as the main staples in my breeding collection because of the variety. However the wife and I seem to have a contest to see who can bring home the next strange and challenging thing. She brought home a couple stepped runner lizards last week and a tarantulla the other day. So now I get to confront my fear of spiders. And today I took in an orphaned squirrel the neighborhood kids rescued. Atleast til I can get a hold of a wildlife rehabilitation center. So really it all comes down to what can you handle, enjoy, and care for with out putting you or the animal at risk. Sorry for all the rambling I just remember being where you are now but I didn't have internet or local reptile nerds to ask for help. Lol good luck in what ever path you choose.
    Last edited by BFE Pets; 08-26-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: stupid auto correct on android phone
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BFE Pets For This Useful Post:

Capray (08-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    There's nothing that hard work and knowledge won't prepare you for. Unless you're considering a giant or something hot, then even the preparation part of almost any new snake species that is commonly kept in captivity isn't out of your scope. Even if someone was considering a giant or a hot, I wouldn't recommend they spend 10 years working with corn snakes.

You've mentioned sand boas and hognose snakes in the same sentance, and IMO those are two species that often have overlapping interests for keepers. If that's what you're interested in, go for it. They both make fantastic first-time snakes and you'll have no problems keeping one happy and healthy. My only issues with western hognose snakes is that I've had the same issue that practically all snake keepers have with any species at some point: feeding strikes.

The snakes you will find available as CB hatchlings in the US, with rare exceptions, pretty much all make fine animals to keep for someone with the basic understanding of snake keeping who is willing to put in what I would consider even just minimal effort (but possibly more than just a little $, new housing isn't cheap).

Thanks

I want to set up a nice natural terrarium, as in the book "the art of keeping snakes"..