Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

2 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

african dwarf frogs

anyone have these? looking for information on them..i have read several websites about keeping temps around 77 and a ph of 7.1 and feeding the brime shrimp and blood worms...my dad bought my son 2 of them...but they didnt do no research on them first...if you have some can i see pics of your tanks with them?..thank you in advance..

Thanks

Re: african dwarf frogs

Well, if they were bought from Grow-a-Frog, you didn't get the dwarf ones. They sell them as that, but you get African clawed frogs instead. So instead of being a frog that grows 2-3 inches long and lives a couple years, you get a frog that grows more than twice that and lives in excess of forty years. I speak from experience.

Thankfully you can ID a dwarf frog from the African claweds. If both the front and back feet are webbed, then you have one of the dwarves. If only the back feet are webbed...well, you might need something bigger than a fishbowl.

That said, their care is pretty similar. I have no pictures handy but I keep the African clawed in a 5 gallon aquarium with a filter, plastic plants, and a couple hiding places that are sold for use with fish. I don't have substrate on the bottom because it makes cleaning easier. Two of the dwarf frogs should do fine in a 5 gal tank.

Thanks
    I kept a couple of those guys for a long time! Their lifespan is supposed to be pretty short, but they lived with me for 2 1/2 to 3 years before I rehomed them. They were pretty bulletproof for me, kept a pair in a 5 gallon with no filtration but weekly water changes (was the same schedule as my goldfish so it was easy to do). Fed them frozen bloodworms every 3-5 days and siphoned out whatever they missed. I had aquarium gravel at the bottom but the feeding was always done over a little dish, eventually they learned that's where food appeared. The tank was pretty densly decorated so they had all sorts of nooks and crannies to hide in when they felt the need.

I didn't do any research though, that's just what worked for me. I'm glad to see you're looking up on their care, it really isn't complicated at all

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks

Re: african dwarf frogs

well someone dumped a lot of fish food in the tank with them at my daughters birthday party...and we didnt realize it till the next day..and they were dead so...they lived 2 days....the only thing i could figure out is the dirty water killed them...or they were sick when my dad bought them from petsmart