Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

0 members and 3,208 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: het...?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington
    Not to nit pick BUT...

The chance that a pair of 50% hets are BOTH hets is actually only 25%. However, the chance that they are both not het is only that also
    That's exactly what I said above ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    But just as likely as their both being actual hets is that they're both normals, in which case all you will get are normals.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington
    so if the original pair doesn't produce clowns you could breed offspring back to both parents and have a good chance of eventually producing a clown.

Of course you also have to deal with the odds of hitting on the 25% chance in one of the eggs in a small clutch. Here is a chart I made with the odds for certain clutch sizes:

http://snakemorphs.home.comcast.net/odds.htm#table
    Thanks, Randy. I hadn't seen a formula for calculating odds across clutches yet. That will come in handy.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    this stuff is so confusing..... i think i understand though.... thank you all for helping me out

THIS IS THE BEST BALL PYTHON SITE EVER!!!!

sry i had to let that out. everyone is so helpful here

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Someone said that the odds where 50% that they where both hets, however, you find the odds of both things happening (them both being hets) by multiplying together the odds of each unrelated event (the 50% chance that each one has) in order to come up with the 25% chance that both are hets. Since they each are also both 50% chance not hets it does come out the same as was also stated by someone.

Thanks

Pro Exotics

Oops, you're right. Jennifer said
    Quote Originally Posted by emroul
    If you bred a 50% possible het with a 50% possible het, you have a 50% chance that both of those are actually 100% het.
    and I think what she meant was
    If you bred a 50% possible het with a 50% possible het, you have a 50% chance that each of those is actually 100% het.
    but you're quite right that you multiply your odds to come up with the odds of both events occurring (ie., 50%*50%=25%). I was working out a lot of this stuff recently, so it's pretty fresh in my head, but I can certainly see how it would confuse someone who hasn't had a biology class with a portion devoted to genetics recently, and having to be careful on wording to avoid misinterpretation makes it even more of a challenge.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12