Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

3 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Caught a wild baby king snake, thinking about keeping it, had some questions.

I was mowing today and saw a baby eastern king snake slithering over my driveway. It's tiny, my estimate would be 8 inches long and maybe 5 or 6 grams in weight. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience taming wild caught baby king snakes and what should I feed them when they are that small? Also it's very aggressive right now, do I need to worry about its bites when I try to handle it and tame it down? I know it's non-venomous, but could they harbor any bacteria, would a bite from a baby king even break the skin?

Thanks
    Most baby colubrid bites are simular to being attacked by angry velcro

I honestly would look into your local bylaws and see if it's legal to keep him.
    If it is illegal then please find him a nice safe place and let him go.

He should have no problem eating pinky mice. My baby corns where 6-8grams each when they hatched and all had no issues with eating f/t pinkies.

I have a yearling MBK/desert cross. He is from a petshop, given to me by the people who purchased him. He is a 2011 and musks every chance he gets. Young kings tend to be fiesty, thats how they survive! Most do tame down eventually.

Any animal bites can get infected. If you are bitten(by any animal) wash with soap and water. Keep an eye on it. Redness, swelling etc are cause for concern. Make sure to keep your Tetnus updated

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wyldrose For This Useful Post:

camel (08-22-2012),decensored (08-21-2012),fhbob (08-21-2012),Reznor (08-22-2012),Romping (08-21-2012),sissysnakes (08-22-2012)

Thanks

Re: Caught a wild baby king snake, thinking about keeping it, had some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldrose View Post
    Most baby colubrid bites are simular to being attacked by angry velcro
    lmao

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

iCandiBallPythons (08-21-2012),Reznor (08-22-2012)

Thanks
    Just checked the legality of keeping the snake in my state. Non-endangered snakes caught on your own property are legal to keep here in NC. Just wanted to ask one more followup question. I don't have my camera on me so I can't upload a photo, but I was wondering if I could give a description and someone could tell me to the best of their knowledge if it was a king snake or just nonvenomous just to be sure. I don't have huge experience with snakes; I only currently keep one ball python, so I would rather be safe than sorry.

It has a black background with thin white stripes down its full length and a few white spots on its head. It has a rounded head and from what I have researched 5 of the 6 venomous snake species in North Carolina have more of a square shaped head, with the only exception being the brightly colored coral snake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by decensored View Post
    lmao
    Is the lmao because the statement is true or false lol?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Caught a wild baby king snake, thinking about keeping it, had some questions.

Sounds like a garter snake to me, pictures would help..
    Quote Originally Posted by fhbob View Post
    It has a black background with thin white stripes down its full length and a few white spots on its head. It has a rounded head and from what I have researched 5 of the 6 venomous snake species in North Carolina have more of a square shaped head, with the only exception being the brightly colored coral snake.

Thanks
    I have been attacked several times from my hatchling corns not a mark to show for it lol
    Maybe a tiny drop of blood here and there nothing to worry about.

Does it look like this:
    http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects...t/Lam_get.html

Here is a picture of Onyx my little king

Thanks

Your snake is what he looks like except the stripes are a little fuller and more defined. Also smaller, but that could just be because of age. The page you linked to was the exact one I looked at when Identifying him.
    Last edited by fhbob; 08-21-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks
    Onyx is part Mexican black kingsnake, so he has a lot of black. Onyx is also a small yearling. He was not eating for his previous owners, he has had one meal for me here so I think it was just husbandry related(I have had him a week). From the link I posted it says they hatch August to september so you have a new hatchling.

Thanks

Well he is a beautiful snake. Is your's aggressive at all? They do have much more of an aggressive look to them compared to the Balls I'm used to seeing.
    Last edited by fhbob; 08-22-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fhbob View Post
    It has a black background with thin white stripes down its full length and a few white spots on its head
    Ahh, I got confused, thought you were describing vertical stripes with the full length bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast