Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

2 members and 3,172 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Vivarium Electronics VE-300X2 question

So I'm going to build another rack but deciding whether or not if it will be the same rack as the first rack or different. The Ve 300x2 can control two different rack systems and can be used for two DIFFERENT rack systems. If the second rack has the same length of heat tape as the first rack for each level would I still need to use two separate thermostats or have one thermostat to control both?
    For example, if I had a hatchling rack and used just one continuous strip of 3 inch heat tape for all the levels. And I have another hatchling rack but instead of a continuous strip, each level on the hatchling rack has their own individual 3 inch heat tape. So because the measurement of heat tapes on two racks are different, the heat/wattage given for each rack is different so you would have to use two thermostats because if the two racks were controlled by one thermostat, the rack with continuous heat tape would be like 90 and the other would be 80.
    BUT for my case, if I had a rack and on each level it had 11 inches of 4 inch wide heat tape on each level and the second rack had the same heat tape and same length of heat tape for each level, couldn't I use one proportional thermostat for both racks because each level of both racks equally gives the same wattage. And lets just say that there are 4 levels.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Rack system question

So I'm going to build another rack but deciding whether or not if it will be the same rack as the first rack or different. The Ve 300x2 can control two different rack systems and can be used for two DIFFERENT rack systems. If the second rack has the same length of heat tape as the first rack for each level would I still need to use two separate thermostats or have one thermostat to control both?
    For example, if I had a hatchling rack and used just one continuous strip of 3 inch heat tape for all the levels. And I have another hatchling rack but instead of a continuous strip, each level on the hatchling rack has their own individual 3 inch heat tape. So because the measurement of heat tapes on two racks are different, the heat/wattage given for each rack is different so you would have to use two thermostats because if the two racks were controlled by one thermostat, the rack with continuous heat tape would be like 90 and the other would be 80.
    BUT for my case, if I had a rack and on each level it had 11 inches of 4 inch wide heat tape on each level and the second rack had the same heat tape and same length of heat tape for each level, couldn't I use one proportional thermostat for both racks because each level of both racks equally gives the same wattage. And lets just say that there are 4 levels.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    A dual probe T-stat the racks would be controlled independently. The configuration of each is not relevant to one or the other as long as the whole rack is the same. You could run two identical racks off a single t-stat providing they are the same and that the total wattage is not exceeding the max of that given T-stat. That said, I personally, would not run that risk. The T-stat is cheap compared to the animals it guards, having two allows more fine tuning of each rack rather than having to balance top and bottom left and right. You could find one to run a degree warmer than the other and the tops to run 3 degrees warmer than the middle it could be if the middle of the left rack is 90º the top of the right rack might be 96º. Unlikely but to my mind it is easier to just have independent controls of either two T-stats or a multiple probe one.

I would suggest with anything other than a herpstat a failsafe. Racks have been well known to pull probes loose as tubs move or jerked cables ect. A failsafe will protect the group if a probe is accidentally pulled free. This is a down side of a multi head unit the fail safe can only protect one rack not the other. The work around is the herpstat 2 which has over and under set points that will shut the unit down in the event of a loose probe. They also due to the relay system employed will tend to fail cold rather than hot. Two huge advances in tek of the hobby. The ecozone units have mobile monitoring and alerts I prefer the herpstat but this is a close second but it is very costly. Herpkeeper also allows email text alerts and I have a friend whom has switches that when a drawer is open it beeps until it is fully closed. I still think the herpstat offers more safety... it is all separate components and the cost racks (lol) up fast.

The VE adds nothing really to the table, it is old tech in a new wrapper. It is 1¢ less than the herpstat 2 so I would not bother with it personally as the herpstat matches all its features and adds more they have also been at it a lot longer too, all the others have actually.