Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

2 members and 3,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Sudden Unexplained Death

So I recently rescued a very thin ball python. He was blind in one eye and he had an old wound that wasn't healing well from the previous owner feeding him live mice and leaving them in there resulting in him being attacked. He was just starting to do really well, he'd had several layers from a bad shed stuck on him that I had been able to get off, his wound was getting better with me caring for it (Neosporin and some rinse/soaking), and he just ate on Sunday which I was so excited about cause he hadn't eaten for about 3 weeks. He was even starting to get back some muscle mass and become more active. The temperatures and humidity have been perfect, he's been drinking water and getting hydrated. He was doing really well just last night. I was surprised to see him come out this morning because when he does come out, he usually doesn't go as far. I noticed he'd been in that spot for a while and I was going to take him out and look him over because he's frequently lethargic since he's so underweight (you can physically see his ribs and he's too weak to hold himself up or wrap around you) and he wasn't responding as he usually does.. Even though a lot of people would say i'm wrong, he seems to actually like when I handle him. He let me help rub off his stuck shed without any fussing or pulling away but he'd pull away when my boyfriend tried. His breathing calms down and he nustles up with me. However, this time he was freezing cold despite it being over 80 degrees in his tank and there was actually an odor too. It's honestly hard for me to believe he's gone, I really fell in love with him fast and couldn't wait to get him healthy. It seemed so special to me that he trusted me. It seems abnormal to me that there would be a smell when he hasn't been deceased more than a couple hours. I would also think that he wouldn't have eaten two days ago if he was feeling really sick because it wouldn't be the first time he refused. I'm just heartbroken and want to know what it could be. :/

Thanks
    sorry to hear about the news on your snake. sounds like you did everything you could. never had it happen yet, but been told that snake will sometimes die for no reason. even a healthy looking snake. when reptiles start going down hill, it's can be hard to turn one around. hope you decide to get another as from what I read, sounds like the new one would have a great home! sorry again don

Thanks

Re: Sudden Unexplained Death

It's so unfortunate when things like that happen and I'm sorry that you lost him! ):
    As for the food, do you mind sharing what you fed him exactly? Was it a frozen/thaw or a prekill? If it was F/T, how did you thaw it? Also, considering that her was suffering from a previous injury, do you think he could have been experiencing some blood poisoning? That's always a possibility when dealing with wounds. A friend's corn snake go that way in the past, it was very unfortunate and unexpected especially since she too seemed to be recovering.

Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss! I rescued a very thin ball python myself about 6 weeks ago and I know I would be crushed if I lost her. I've invested a lot of time trying to pull her around so I can totally relate if anything were to happen to her. Hopefully you'll be able to open your heart to another BP. Sounds like he/she will have a loving home/mama.

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your ball python. You did everything that you could for him. Get a new one, you'll be a great caretaker.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Extreme starvation can cause organ damage, sometimes beyond repair, so even though they take in nutrients, their bodies can't recover. It sounds like from the lethargy and by how skinny he was that he was very sick indeed. They will sometimes eat even if their bodies can't handle it, just because of instinct.

There probably was an odor because of the warm cage. The warmth speeds up decomposition, hence the smell.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but at least for the short time you had him, he had a good home.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    It sounds like he has a great home. Sorry for your loss. My buddy has had a ton of BP and he told me that sometimes it just happens. But it sounds to me lime complications from the previous owner. Get another one and treat it the same it will make you happy as well.
    0.1.0 Columbian Boa: Nibbles
    0.1.0 Ball Python: Cuddles
    1.1.0 Pit Bulls: Rosie and Conan
    0.0.1 Black Moore Gold Fish: Godzilla
    0.0.1 Multi Colored Gold Fish: Multi Cam

Thanks
    I rescued a 2 big healthy looking girls last year. Literally 2 days after bringing home (and put in qt) one of them began to smell like death and started losing strength. She died within 3 days. I still dont know what happened. The other one never showed signs of illness and after a lengthy quaruntine she produced a healthy clutch for me .

The rotting smell comes long before death and its unmistakeable. Sorry for the loss