Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

2 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mis sexed ball python

So I bought a "female" mojave back in April this year, at this time we didn't know how to pop or probe, so we took the breeders word for it. Turns out that the snake is a boy, another breeder showed me how to pop so after discovering this mistake I had a few other breeders confirm for me. I don't want to give up the snake as my family has grown attached to him. The breeder offered a credit, but since then I've decided that I don't want to deal with them anymore. Is it unreasonable for me to want more then the difference in cost of a male and female to make up for the mistake

- - - Updated - - -

Should note that this breeder isn't local, they are a 2hr drive away

Thanks
    sucks, sorry you got lied too. was the breeder well known, or just a small business type deal?
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Thanks

Re: Mis sexed ball python

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ballz View Post
    sucks, sorry you got lied too. was the breeder well known, or just a small business type deal?
    Yes, I'm curious of who it was just in case I do business with them one day

Thanks
    I'm not going to give names but it happened in Canada so I dont think it will be an issue for you doing business with them. They are a smaller breeder but have been around for a few years now. They breed geckos, balls, and carpet pythons.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danrjc View Post
    So I bought a "female" mojave back in April this year, at this time we didn't know how to pop or probe, so we took the breeders word for it. Turns out that the snake is a boy, another breeder showed me how to pop so after discovering this mistake I had a few other breeders confirm for me. I don't want to give up the snake as my family has grown attached to him. The breeder offered a credit, but since then I've decided that I don't want to deal with them anymore. Is it unreasonable for me to want more then the difference in cost of a male and female to make up for the mistake

- - - Updated - - -

Should note that this breeder isn't local, they are a 2hr drive away
    Yes it is unreasonable, the breeder has made a mistake it happens you weren't lied to it was a mistake we all make them. If it were me and I was really upset about it I'd ask the breeder to take the snake back and refund my money. But as you said you weren't so upset that it was worth getting rid of the animal so take the cash difference in the price and move on with life.

Mistakes happen, we're only human but to demand more than what you're owed is just absurd.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

AK907 (08-20-2012),ChrisS (08-20-2012),JaGv (08-20-2012),John1982 (08-20-2012),JustMeBC (08-20-2012),PitOnTheProwl (08-20-2012),TheVipersHouse (08-20-2012)

Thanks
    They have been giving the run away, said they produced it and it was the same line as another breeders that was at the show we were at, and it turns out that they bought it wholesale. I gave them photo evidence of the hemipens they still don't believe its male.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Yes it is unreasonable, the breeder has made a mistake it happens you weren't lied to it was a mistake we all make them. If it were me and I was really upset about it I'd ask the breeder to take the snake back and refund my money. But as you said you weren't so upset that it was worth getting rid of the animal so take the cash difference in the price and move on with life.

Mistakes happen, we're only human but to demand more than what you're owed is just absurd.

thank you i feel the same way! things like that happen this weekend for example i went to pick up what i tohught was a male pastel and as i was walking away the breeder tracked me down and asked to see the snake turns out it was a female so instead of laughing in his face and walking away i gave the snake back and got a great price on a butter male instead so just know people make mistakes especially when you have alot of snakes they tend to blend together

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Yeah, if someone is going to make a mistake in sexing a ball python, it's going to be that mistake--if you pop a ball python, and you see hemipenes, then it's a male, but if you see nothing, you call it a female--every once in a while, you might make a mistake if you can't get the hemipenes to pop.

It was probably an honest mistake, unless this person has a suspect reputation. If it had happened to me, with a snake I sold, I would have offered to take the snake back for a refund or credit, or offered a partial refund for the cost difference, if you wanted to keep it. I wouldn't offer more than that, either. I don't think asking more is reasonable.
    Most breeders will have information on their site about what they guarantee, and how they will handle it if a mistake like that is made. It's a good idea to be certain you are ok with their policies before you buy from them.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

They have been giving the run away, said they produced it and it was the same line as another breeders that was at the show we were at, and it turns out that they bought it wholesale. I gave them photo evidence of the hemipens they still don't believe its male.
    Then Cowboy up..send the animal back and get your money back..I mean it sounds like a raw deal all the way around.
    so you're Three options are

• Take the difference in the cost and keep it.
    • Send the animal back at the breeders expense and get a refund.
    • Or take this one on the chin and chalk it up to the School of Hard Knocks.
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 08-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Well, that's a different story, then, they're just being shady. If they're willing to give you ANYTHING concrete, I recommend you take it right away, because otherwise you're likely to wind up with nothing--obviously they're trying to scam you, if they won't accept evidence.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast