Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

1 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

odd.. some questions..

yesterday I bought a spider ball python and I have some questions:
    I know it's long but please please please read and give me your replies.
    1. Does this seem odd?

When I went to look at the spider ball I bought yesterday, the guy told me that he doesn't use any substrate and that he puts the UTH under the tank. He wouldn't let me see the tank "because the dogs were in the room with the snakes". His other snake tanks had no substrate either and he had a burmese... no hide.. no heater... no soaking bowl... in a tank I thought was only big enough for a full sized BP. Granted, this burmese was only 5 feet long, but still. The spider I chose felt very cold and looks thin, and probably dehydrated when I held him, so I'm assuming that he was in the same boat as the burmese. He said he's had these snakes since they were hatchlings, sooo my question is.. this is wrong right? is it possible that he's kept these guys alive in these conditions since hatchlings?... None of them appeared to have mites and no signs of an RI in any of them. I went ahead and paid $100 for the spider and brought him home, which again seems odd since I've seen them sold between $400-$500, sometimes more. I had someone else that has morphs look at him right after and they said he is definitely a spider.

The enclosure I now have him in is an under the bed storage unit with ventilation holes all over the top, a UTH, and paper towel for substrate. I don't have a heat lamp because the UTH seems to do great on it's own and I don't feel the need to bake the guy with a light too, but please, correct me if i'm wrong.
    Humidity- 70%
    Cool side-fluctuating between 70-75 degrees
    warm side-fluctuating around 90 degrees
    I have his water bowl on the cool side and his hide on top of the UTH. I put my hand on the heating pad and it isn't hot, just warm, nothing that could burn him. (he will not go in it and it is big enough for him to curl up into. I've tried moving it off the UTH for a few hours, he doesn't want to go in it. I've moved it to the cool side, nope, still doesn't want to go in.) I understand he could be stressed, but he moves around his enclosure when he gets his dark time, but curls up in a corner when I put the enclosure out in the light of the room.

2. Feeding...? I don't know what to do...

The guy I bought him from said that he last ate 15 days ago right after his shed.. keep in mind that this snake is thin already. maybe it's just me, but why would he sell the snake to me hungry?.. because now I'm in a stuck spot. i have always waited a week after bringing a snake home before feeding, but this guy is thin already and hasn't eaten for 15 days. plus he is a young age and still growing, and I always fed my juveniles once a week. the person with morphs that I had look at him said that I should definitely feed him by today because he is thin and hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks now. what should i do? Also, the guy that I bought him from feeds him pre-killed and I am so so sorry but i cannot knock a mouse out. i just cannot. I have always fed live.. but everyone at pet shops keeps nagging at me that it takes off 10 years of their life and they can be harmed, but i never ever leave a snake unwatched with live prey. what do you guys think? frozen or live for this guy?

Thanks
    1: your cool side is too cold. It needs to be 80-82 degrees. Some say even 78 degrees, but I wouldn't go any lower than that. Your hot side sounds good.

YOU NEED A THERMOSTAT FOR YOUR UTH!!!!

This is a must have, not a luxury.

2: feeding your snakes live does not shorten their life span. I have never heard of that before. Try feeding him, if he eats, great! If not, wait a week and try again. No harm, no foul.

I would like to see pics of your new snake.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow...lots to address here. I'll try to be quick and brief because my time is short, but thorough as well...

1. Sounds like you got that snake from a horrible place. Good deal or no, I wouldn't have given someone like that my money...all it does is reinforce their bad business/husbandry practices.

2. I'd be very concerned about the overall health of an animal from a place like that. He may be harboring all sorts of nasties...from mites to parasites to any manner of germs. Make sure you keep him VERY WELL quarantined away from the rest of your animals...different room, different handling/husbandry supplies....never, ever share supplies or rodents with the other animals. Watch for signs of mites, signs of RI, and seriously consider a thorough checkup from a good vet.

3. Your cool side temps are too low...especially for a ball python who is at such risk for health problems. Aim for something closer to 80 on your cool side....definitely nothing below 75. 90 is good for the warm side, BUT...is that the temperature of the surface? Or the air? Our hands are NOT accurate ways to measure a heated surface. And what if he goes under the paper towels? They like to do that, and would be directly against the heat pad. What are you using to measure that surface temp? And what are you using to control the max temps on the heat pad? Both critical questions.

4. Nothing wrong with live feeding, so long as it is done carefully and correctly. Do what works for you and for your snakes. The dangers in live feeding come primarily from tossing in freaked out, hungry, thirsty rodents and then leaving them unattended for some stretch of time. Don't do that. Make sure your rodents are well fed and watered before feeding them off...and don't do anything unnecessarily rough before putting them into the tub...and don't leave them in there if the snakes don't show interest in eating right away.

Hope this helps some....you've got your work cut out for you on this one. Good luck!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Go live first of all and try and feed ASAP but don't be too alarmed if he doesn't eat.
    Secondly, some folks heat the whole room and don't use belly heat. It is summer time and that is fairly easy to do at moment. No matter what the ball is going to feel cool to your touch. The subsadrate part well that's not something I would do.. I use aspen bc I find it much easier to spot clean.
    Some of the things you said It I guess depends on the whole set up of the room, etc. without knowing any if that can't really say its off or not.
    The price of him really isn't bad. It's a male spider and ive seen them at shows for inbetween 75-150.00 for youngins. The price goes up when weight goes up.
    Him not eating in 15 days could be a sign that he's a picky eater. I would go with a smaller than normal live prey. He won't starve even though he hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks. I've seen neonate hatchlings go for 1.5 month without eating anything after hatching. It's not what I like to see but these guys can handle alot. Your set up sounds great and I would seriously keep him in the dark for a week before you try and feed. At least for a few days. We don't want to make him refuse and keep refusing by hovering and offering before hes ready. Let him settle and then offer. Well go from there. Pics too wth!

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    All of the above X2. Cold side is too cold, and you must have a thermostat on your heat pad, or else your snake could get terribly burned. I would go ahead and try to feed him. You may need to start with live or p/k until he settles in. Let's see some pictures of him.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...=1#post1898651
    i have pictures of him on this thread! i will take more here in a minute(: enjoy!

Thanks
    I run a small fan/heater to help the ambient air outside my tubs. Which usually is around 77-80f. My wife hates it. Oh well.

All the above comments are very useful.

It's sad the guy isn't taking care of these animals correctly. He prob. didn't want you to see the other snakes, cause of their conditions, and lack of care.

Please continue updating us on the conditions of your spider.
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Ballz For This Useful Post:

aimeejmpr (08-19-2012)

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aimeejmpr For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    good size. :-)
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Thanks

Re: odd.. some questions..

the pictures make him look bigger than he is(: but thank you. he is beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast