Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

1 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    If people abuse the right to ship live reptiles and that right gets taken away, the ball python industry sinks pretty fast IMO.

Let's continue to ship within the law and encourage others as much as possible to do the same
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Using your own packaging

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Mandatory? From where have you gleaned this? Seems to me that if you don't need the extra thickness there's no reason to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Depends on the temps...I would think 1/2 inch is fine in most cases...
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfexports159 View Post
    Can I just buy regular brown shipping boxes and right live harmless reptile on them and ship them? Do I have to use the expensive shipping supplies if I use ship your reptiles? I would cut the foam for the inside and do it like the ones they sell it would just be brown with handwriting instead of white with perishable handle with care. Has anyone used there own boxes or knows if this is ok?
    The OP asked about shipping with your own supplies through Ship Your Reptiles, not a general question about insulation and temperatures. I personally prefer 3/4'' for normal shipping but it doesn't really matter here. Ship Your Reptiles requires a minimum 3/4'' insulation to use their shipping service.

From their website:

Insulation lining must be at least ¾ inch thick. The insulating lining must cover all four sides of the inside of the cardboard box, as well as the top and bottom.

http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/g...s/#question-20
    Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons; 08-21-2012 at 11:20 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Don (08-21-2012),snakesRkewl (08-21-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    It's unclear to me what SYR even does for you. They allow you to print labels and have the package picked up at your house? Is this because you can't drop off live animals at the pick-up locations? Couldn't you go about all of these steps directly through UPS yourself?

I don't understand the purpose of SYR...
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    It's unclear to me what SYR even does for you. They allow you to print labels and have the package picked up at your house? Is this because you can't drop off live animals at the pick-up locations? Couldn't you go about all of these steps directly through UPS yourself?

You can't ship snakes via UPS.
    1. You can avoid getting FedEx certified if you ship properly through SYR.
    2. You can save a few bucks as they get a discount.
    3. Probably another reason or two but I'm a bit tired today...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Green For This Useful Post:

MrLang (08-21-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post

SYR does not use UPS nor should YOU use UPS when shipping snakes, it is against UPS policy to do so.

You can have your package picked up or dropped of at the hub, it is up to you however I would encourage to use common sense and not using pick up in extreme temps.

Using SYR allows you to print your shipping label without having to be fedex certified, it also allow you to ship residential to residential which is not allowed in your contract if you are fedex certified. People who are certified to ship reptiles via Fedex can only ship business to business in other word hub to hub and not door to door even if many do so.

Even though I am Fedex certified I benefit from a greater discounts when using SYR.

Lastly SYR has insurance available which is not the case. when using your own fedex account.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

reptileexperts (08-25-2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12