Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

1 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does my BP look skinny?

Hey guys, as some of you may know I recently adopted a BP that was being kept is less-than-ideal conditions. Not that the previous owner disliked the snake, mind you, she just seemed a bit misinformed. I'm still brand new to keeping snakes, but I've learned a ton in my weeks of research.

Anyway. After looking at loads of BP pictures all day, every day, I'm beginning to suspect that my guy is a bit on the skinny side. I especially suspect this since the previous owner told me that she only fed him once a month. I plan on feeding him once a week, starting this Monday.

He's about 4 years old, approximately 50" in length, and currently weighs 1550 g (though he ate two medium rats last Thursday - he bit the previous owner's hand after she fed him one rat, so she fed him another "because he seemed hungry" - I can't imagine why, being fed once a month! - anyway, he hasn't pooped yet since then, so the weight's a bit off). Here's a few pictures, what do you think?

-Savanna

0.1 Normal BP (Onyx)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Looks like a healthy male to me!

Thanks
    I'm just gonna go on a limb here and say with a snake that size unless it's sexed male I'd bet female. And (s)he looks healthy.

Thanks
    He doesn't look too skinny to me either. Males tend to be lankier. If it were a female, I'd tell ya to bulk her up some, but I think you're good to go.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that he looks good
    -Savanna

0.1 Normal BP (Onyx)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Does my BP look skinny?

I agree with the posts that he looks good. My male Bee is 1600+g, so it is very likely that he's male. Only caution I would give: If he just ate two medium rats Thursday (~100g each - yesterday), then you might want to give him at least a full week before feeding again, especially since he just relocated. If you meant that this feeding was Thursday, August 9th, then disregard. Oh, and he'll really be fine on one small rat per week (50-80g).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Only caution I would give: If he just ate two medium rats Thursday (~100g each - yesterday), then you might want to give him at least a full week before feeding again, especially since he just relocated. If you meant that this feeding was Thursday, August 9th, then disregard. Oh, and he'll really be fine on one small rat per week (50-80g).
    Yep, he was fed on August 9th. I figured between the bigger meal and the move to my place that he likely wouldn't feel like eating for more than a week, so I figured this coming Monday would be a good time to try feeding him.

As for the rat size - I thought that you were supposed to feed them a rodent that is 10-15% of their body weight, meaning a 150g(ish) rat would be good? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've picked up from the caresheet and various other sources on this forum. Plus I found a nifty chart someone posted at one point that indicates a medium rat is perfect for him.

-Savanna

0.1 Normal BP (Onyx)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gruneaugen86 For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (08-17-2012)

Thanks
    This snake was given to me a couple of weeks ago. The picture was how I got her, and am currently trying to beef her up.
    She is pounding back food, and doing it with grace. I had her on weaned mice (live), and just converted to f/t adult mice. I now have baby rats ready to go for her shortly. She has increased her weight by around 35-40 grams. I'm sure she won't poop for awhile, as her body is absorbing as much nutrients as possible to make up for the lack of feedings she got. Apparently she is 2 yrs or older. She is always at the end of the tub waiting for food, it's crazy lol.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, your snake looks great btw
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gruneaugen86 View Post
    Yep, he was fed on August 9th. I figured between the bigger meal and the move to my place that he likely wouldn't feel like eating for more than a week, so I figured this coming Monday would be a good time to try feeding him.

As for the rat size - I thought that you were supposed to feed them a rodent that is 10-15% of their body weight, meaning a 150g(ish) rat would be good? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've picked up from the caresheet and various other sources on this forum. Plus I found a nifty chart someone posted at one point that indicates a medium rat is perfect for him.

I reserve medium rats for large females (2500+g). The 10-15% "rule" really only applies to juvenile/hatchling BPs. Once mine hit ~500g, small rats are all they ever get unless they are regaining weight from laying eggs. Can he eat mediums? Sure. Does he need that much to thrive? No. If you want to feed mediums, I'd go with a ten day schedule instead of seven. Also, if you are feeding live, larger rats have more potential to cause damage than small rats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ballz View Post
    This snake was given to me a couple of weeks ago. The picture was how I got her, and am currently trying to beef her up.
    She is pounding back food, and doing it with grace. I had her on weaned mice (live), and just converted to f/t adult mice. I now have baby rats ready to go for her shortly. She has increased her weight by around 35-40 grams. I'm sure she won't poop for awhile, as her body is absorbing as much nutrients as possible to make up for the lack of feedings she got. Apparently she is 2 yrs or older. She is always at the end of the tub waiting for food, it's crazy lol.
    If she's already been eating for a few weeks, I would go ahead and get that poor girl on weanling rats (35-40g), and then on up to smalls in a week or two. Good job and good luck on your rescue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (08-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks Anna. I've just been waiting for a few of my litters to get bigger, and thankfully I had 7 litters recently. They are all different sizes, and this will help me very much.

I had some over stock of f/t rats and mice. I weighed my rats, and they range from 170grams-400grams (frozen). Too big for most of my snakes atm.

I'm glad my rescues are both doing well. Eager little ones :-D
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"