Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

0 members and 3,314 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Your thoughts on my health guarantee

When I sell an animal I always guarantee the health of the animal just like anyone else and I always back it up. But there is a difference with mine. When you buy and I have to ship there is a 7 day guarantee due to the shipping of the animal and because you are not here in person looking it over and so on. But when you come to me and buy it and walk out of my door with it after looking it over and usually doing this multiple times over a few weeks I do not offer the guarantee. The reason for this is you have seen the animal in person and you can see the health of it, how it is kept, how the other animals are kept, and you also went through and picked that one that just stands out to you in person. I feel that this is fair and just wanted to know what you thought of it.
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

Thanks

Re: Your thoughts on my health guarantee

Are you that doubtful of the health of your animals that you can't guarantee 7 days of health to those who have seen them firsthand? If not, I would extend the same courtesy to all buyers.

Thanks
    Sounds fair to me. The hardest part of offering an animal for sale is getting screwed over by dumb people. I know a breeder that had ADULT animal that was eating well and after a few days the buyer demanded their money back because they couldn't get them to eat. I give people the option to bring animals back, but if the reason is stupid than I offer to buy it back at 75% of what I sold it to them for. But they only have 30 days to do it. It's a retainer for wasting my time.

If there is a legitimate health issue than they have 14 days to return it for a full refund. I don't bother my new additions for 7 days after I get them.. so 7 days is useless to me, I extend that courtesy to my customers. If they want to bring it back because they shove a rat at it every 4 hours and wonder why it wont eat than they only get back a portion of the original cost. I'm not out to get ripped off. With that said I do my best to educate everyone who gets an animal off of me.. But some people believe they know everything.
    Last edited by decensored; 08-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    One guarantee to in the darkness bind them.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

decensored (08-15-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have no doubt in the health of my animals at all. The reasons I do not offer a health guarantee on an animal that has been picked up in person are that you have the chance to see the animal in person and see that it is acting as it should be, i also offer to let you feed it and see that it is eating when it it feeding day if you would like, and also due to the fact that 3 people this year have purchased from me in person that ended up with a dead animal within hours due to them. The first left my house with a ball python and went shopping and left the snake in their car in the middle of winter, the second one purchased a lizard and while leaving placed the deli cup on top of their car and ended up running it over, and the last one purchased a lizard took it in a deli cup and put in a black plastic shopping bag and tied it shut then stuffed it under their seat and drove home and let it sit in that bag after they got home for over an hour. Each of these demanded refunds or exchanges. I found out how everything happened from someone that was with them and in the first and last situation was just as mad as the person who made the purchase. So in this case a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch. I always offer to have the animal looked over by a vet and if they find it was something from my care that caused the death I would pay for the procedure as well as replace or refund the costs but if found that it was not my fault the purchaser would be the one having to pay for everything.

Thanks

yay to LOTR references.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol I would have a field day with those situations.

Honestly, as long as the animal is free of parasites, physical deformities, and other serious complications that are pre-existing to the sale of the animal than I would offer a refund, but human beings err, and it's possible to overlook things. I wouldn't knowingly sell an animal with any of those health issues in the first place. I wrote up a health guarantee as part of a transfer to ownership document I was playing around with. If your interested I can see if I can find it in my files.

I would offer 7 days if that's what your comfortable with but only in certain circumstances. Death brought on by the owners negligence is a total, "you break it you bought it," circumstance.
    Last edited by decensored; 08-15-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattlife2001 View Post
    due to the fact that 3 people this year have purchased from me in person that ended up with a dead animal within hours due to them.
    IMO, negligence or fault of the buyer voids a health guarantee altogether.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

On the same note if I know the person and they have a lizard for a week and it will not eat at all then I will gladly replace or refund the money and if I do not know them I will offer to come look at things and see how things are set up and if they are all good then I will make the same offer as well. That is where the vet comes in as well. If it was my fault then I will gladly replace or refund every penny with out hesitation but if it is not my fault then I should not have to replace or refund anything. With all sales I give a paper form of my terms and conditions and I also keep one signed on record for all sales that are done in person. I have within that document that "if the animal dies due to anything that is as a result of my care prior to sale then it will be replace or a refund given at the buyers choice but if there was no fault on my behalf then no refund or replacement will be given. The fault is to be determined by a veterinarian through necropsy and the expense of said procedure would be the responsibility of the party found at fault for the death of the animal. If no fault is found, random event of death, then 50% refund will be issued either is cash or in credit towards another purchase whichever the buyer chooses."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to T&C Exotics For This Useful Post:

decensored (08-16-2012)