Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,235

0 members and 3,235 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

New with questions

I have a ball python of about six months old. At last feeding(a week ago) she ate two hoppers, and she had no buldge. My question is do I now feed her a mouse? And when do I wait longer between feedings? I don't want to over feed, still feed weekly?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How much does she weight? you know a hopper is a mouse, or are you asking if she can eat adult mice? feeding is all personally preference i feed all my snakes once a week doesn't matter if they weight 150 grams or 1600 grams. some people like to feed every 5 days until they hit ___ grams. seeing a bulge is not the best way to measure food IMHO. my albino is 700 grams and eats small rats(80 grams) and i do not see a bulge on her and it is in the 10-15% body weight.
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks

Re: New with questions

Welcome to the forums!

If two hoppers aren't leaving a bulge, it's probably time to switch to larger feeders. I just eyeball it when selecting feeders and find something slightly larger than the girth of the snake at its widest point (one feeder of this size is a sufficient meal, and feeding multiple prey items of this size may induce regurgitation). And as far as frequency of feedings, it's your call. Many people feed even adult bp's weekly. It really depends on the snake's feeding behaviors and metabolism. If you do want to slow down feedings when she's older (if your girl is a good eater, I think it's a healthy choice), you could start feeding her every 10-14 days once she nears her adult size and her growth rate plateaus. But that is something that's a decision for you to make as you get to know her and her behaviors.
    Last edited by Crazy4Herps; 08-13-2012 at 11:08 PM.