Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

1 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Maybe it's just me, but...

I've been a snake keeper since I was 5 years old (I'm now 27). I've watched the industry grow, become more and more popular every year. And in the last 10 years or so, the ball python industry especially. Now, before I say anything else, I just want to make sure that nobody takes this as me bashing anyone. This is not my intention at all. I just don't really understand the whole 'morph' thing. I mean, maybe I'm just different but I see more and more people thinking that they are going to get rich off of breeding ball pythons. I don't like this one bit. When I buy a snake, the last thing I'm thinking about is how much money I can make off of it. And yes, I do own a Salmon RTB, but I bought him because I wanted a beautiful snake as a pet. And I care for him just as much as I do all of my normal snakes. I just feel like this industry has become so overly saturated that it's quite ridiculous. If you're buying a morph because you want a gorgeous animal as a pet, then by all means go for it. But to spend tons of money on a snake because you think it's going to make you rich is absurd. Not to mention, the animals deserve more respect than that. I see the same thing with dog breeders in my area. What I'm getting at is... If you plan to start breeding snakes, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. And don't expect to make a living off of it, because it's not an easy thing to do.

Now, I respect anyone who cares about their snakes. But those that are in it simply for money, I say go get a job.

My apologies if this post comes off as offensive. I just felt like getting this off my chest.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    I say, go stuff yourself.

You are entirely entitled to your opinion, and I have no problems with it. However, it's JUST your opinion.

There are plenty of people making a decent living at breeding snakes, many of whom are members right here. I understand your views, but I don't agree with your arrogance (something with which I am WELL familiar) in flat out telling people they shouldn't be in it for the money. Who are YOU again, squirt?

Sure most fail in making a living, but show me a business, any business, that's 100% successful for 100% of the people who get in it. How come breeding snakes can't be the job you're encouraging people to go out and get? What makes it wrong to try to make it on your own?

I don't understand guys like you, and there's a site that's just full of your compatriots that you may feel quite at home on, that feel quite free to do what they feel, and feel quite free to squash the dreams and aspirations of those who choose to do things another way.

I get, sort of, that you have a great care for the snakes, but are you on dog sites and cat sites and horse sites, any site that involves live animals and their reproduction and sale, shoveling this load to them or is it just reserved for this little site here? If you are, then kudos to you. If you're not, why not? Scared? Don't care? What?

What's fine and dandy for you, just you, is not necessarily dandy or fine for anyone else, though I do respect your right to say so, just as you'll no doubt respect mine to publicly disagree.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

1nstinct (08-12-2012),4Ballz (08-12-2012),AK907 (08-12-2012),Andybill (08-12-2012),bad-one (08-12-2012),CCarr33 (08-12-2012),Dave Green (08-12-2012),DavidMundy (08-12-2012),gaiaeagle (08-13-2012),h00blah (08-16-2012),heathers*bps (08-13-2012),heylookitsjon (08-16-2012),Kinra (08-12-2012),Mft62485 (08-12-2012),satomi325 (08-12-2012),snakesRkewl (08-12-2012)

Thanks

Re: Maybe it's just me, but...

This is exactly why I made it clear that I wasn't trying to bash anyone. And the name calling? Come on... You said it yourself, we're all entitled to our own opinion. I was just trying to make conversation and explain my point of view. But you won't see me calling names, bashing anyone, or trying to make someone feel stupid for feeling a certain way. To each his own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William C View Post
    I just feel like this industry has become so overly saturated that it's quite ridiculous. If you're buying a morph because you want a gorgeous animal as a pet, then by all means go for it. But to spend tons of money on a snake because you think it's going to make you rich is absurd. Not to mention, the animals deserve more respect than that. I see the same thing with dog breeders in my area. What I'm getting at is... If you plan to start breeding snakes, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. And don't expect to make a living off of it, because it's not an easy thing to do.

Now, I respect anyone who cares about their snakes. But those that are in it simply for money, I say go get a job.

My apologies if this post comes off as offensive. I just felt like getting this off my chest.
    You apologized because you KNEW it was offensive.

Your entire post is not your opinion, it's a declaration- don't breed balls for a living, it's not only bad for the snakes, it's impossible.

Your 'right' reasons are great for you, but much like those in the god club of choice, if I ain't a member, tell me again why I should have to follow your well meant 'advice' any more than the rules of any other club to which I do not belong?

Perhaps different wording, or tack, would have put your so-called opinion in a more flavoursome easily palatable conversation generating way, but as you wrote it, all of that was lacking.

For me.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I have to agree with Wilomn. You are completely entitled to your opinion but I find it insulting that you insinuate that people are in it for the money care less for their snakes than people who just keep them as pets.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big and I think most people are realistic about breeding. I will openly admit that I hope to make some money breeding and I have a few I bought for the sole purpose of someday making a profit from breeding. That doesn't mean I don't give them proper care or enjoy taking care of them. I also understand that while I may dream big and hope a clutch turns out a certain way that I could (depending on the pairing) end up with nothing but male normals.

I personally believe that anyone who gets into breeding for the purpose of just making a quick buck isn't going to be doing it long. It is a lot of work and one of those things you have to enjoy doing to succeed at. There are people who greatly succeed at breeding and they have the same passion for reptiles as you do, if they didn't they wouldn't be where they are today and they wouldn't be producing morphs that make most of us drool. Just because you don't really care for morphs doesn't mean everyone doesn't. To most this is a hobby and a passion and breeding helps them continue to maintain that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    I think that as long as the breeder is keeping the animals healthy and giving them the right enviroment to thrive, then they can breed all they want. Even if they are in it just for the money. That doesn't mean they are going to mistreat the animals. I think it would be difficult to maintain a breeding business if you don't like the animals though. You'd get tired of cleaning them and whatnot. But then again, if it makes you enough money, it'd be worth it. Everybody that breeds as a hobby probably knows exactly how much money they could sell the babies for, just like a non-hobbyist does.

After I get a few years of breeding corns under my belt, I'm going to branch out to other snakes. Even if I don't particularily like them as much as other species. Probably go with the best seller at the time. Now, does that mean I'm not going to take good care of them like I do for my corns? No. It just means that I might not handle them as much as the corns. As far as care goes, they will all get treated the same. I love all the different snake species, I just have favorites. And yes, I will buy the morphs that I like, while knowing exactly how much the babies will go for.
    Corns:
    0.0.1 Normal; 0.1.0 Amel Motley
    1.0.0 Butter Motley; 0.1.0 Charcoal

Thanks

Well, again my apologies. I just can't help but feel the way I do. I do not know any of you personally, and am not trying to attack anyone in particular. It just seems to me that the money is overpowering the fact that these are animals that deserve love and respect. I'm sorry if you took my post as a personal attack and I wish you all the best with your breeding projects. But my point was.... people that get into it simply to make money disgust me. I never said there was anything wrong with dreaming big. Do what makes you happy. But make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    As long as the animals are properly cared for, why should it matter if people breed for money?
    Personally, I do it for fun and because I enjoy the hobby. I love the beauty of certain morphs and combinations that could only be achieved through breeding. My snakes are well cared for. They have freshwater, clean enclosures, and food in their bellies weekly. I don't expect to ever make a profit, but it's nice to have money to put back into the snakes and pay for their care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (08-12-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William C View Post
    Do what makes you happy. But make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
    Sage advice.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Think about it like this.... people that breed simply for money will sell a snake to the first person that has the cash. It's like a pet store, they sell a pet without knowing what is going to happen after that pet makes it to its new home. These people buying your morphs might not have a clue how to take care of it. So basically the snake is doomed from the start. Just like when I purchased my Salmon boa, nobody asked me if I knew anything about how to care for snakes. I paid them, and the snake was shipped immediately. That, in my opinion, seems like they don't care what happens to the snakes after they are sold. I don't care if you agree with me or not, but that is just wrong.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast