Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

2 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP's and Stress

Thanks
    I changed my bp's tank around on Friday night ie new hides,removed UTH added human heat pad etc.
    Next night offered food ,it had been 8 days, he didnt eat, no interest at all so I figure he is stressed due to new surroundings.
    He has been in his hot hide since Friday, he did come out Sunday and run around the tank for a couple hours and I have actually seen him drink a few times but other than that hot hide all the way.
    Now my bp seldom used his hot hide before only when I put back in cage after handling he would hang out in it for a few hours then right back to cool side.
    Today it is fairly warm here and I have windows open and temps were fine when I left this am 91.5 in hot hide 81.5 cool side hide, anyway I came home and the temp in hot hide had gone up to 96.5 yet he still didnt leave and retreat to cool side. Same hides on both sides.
    Do bp's tend to stay on hot side when they are stressed.
    His habits have really changed since the tank change.
    Anyone have any ideas on this???
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Banned
    Thanks
    I've never experienced a bp get stressed by moving things around, but I suppose it's possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's probably just something about the new arrangement that makes his warmer hide more comfortable to him now than it was before. Maybe he wanted to be warmer before, but felt more secure in the cold hide? I've heard that they'll tolerate less-than-optimal temperatures if it means they can feel more secure.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Try switching which hide is on which side. If he likes the hide better then he should follow it and you'll know to consider replacing the other hide.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    The hides are the same-plastic take out bowls from my fav carryout cut open the same exact measurments thats why I couldnt figure it out.
    My son said maybe cuz there was more stuff around the hot hide like plants and limbs where the cool side hide was out in the open with nothing around it.
    But I changed that and he is out now exploring so we'll see!
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Your son may well be right -- he may have felt that one was more secure because of the additional cover. You clearly have a budding herper on your hands.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    I'm having a similar issue, I hope you don't mind me butting in on your question. My ball hasn't eaten since I brought him home 2 and a half weeks ago, and I added a second hide to my enclosure so that there would be one on the hot side, and one on the cooler side. (Thanks to Marla's advice) I originally had a hollowed out log on the hot side, and it was pretty open. The one I added on the other side is much more enclosed and secure for him, and he seems to like it better. But he has not left that new hide since I put it in there on Saturday. Is this normal? If he likes the new hide so much and won't leave it for the old one, should I get rid of the log and have the same hide on both sides? I just want to get the ideal set up for my little guy so won't be stressed out and so he'll eat.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, bp's find a place to sleep and will stay there all day long. They come out at night, you just never see them. They're pretty active at around 2:00 in the morning.

Is the bp WC, that might help with fixing the feeding problem.

Thanks
    Well Ozzy is tucked in and sleeping in his cool side hide!
    My son must have been right. I 'm proud of him to have picked up on that.
    I think you may be right Marla
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Gen, you can try fixing the problem with the log being too open by draping a dark bandana or something over it so that it covers the ends nearly completely. That's not as secure as something solid on all sides but the opening, but it may be good enough that he'll use it. If not, a more secure hide is a good idea, though it doesn't have to be identical to the first. Just be creative and try to think like a bp. By the way, he probably has come out when you're asleep and eventually you'll see him sometimes late at night or early in the morning cruising his cage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast