Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

1 members and 3,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Went herping today......

So, after doing a little research on the WDFW website last night, my son and I decided to go hiking this morning to see what kind of animals we could find. Unfortunately we didn't have much time nor did we see anything other than some Canadian Geese, a heron or two, some trout in a small stream, and a fleeting garter snake. I took the camera with me just in case we found something cool but we just didn't have the luck we were hoping for. One of the things we were seriously looking for was a snake of any kind, of course. But most interesting on our list was the Rubber Boa. I had no clue that there would be a boa in western Washington so we set out to find one. Even though we encountered only one snake, I am now studying up on the Rubber Boa and all the things associated with it; habitat, diet, breeding habits, locations, laws and regulations pertaining to Wa state, captive care, and everything else. I found a bunch of info on the net just a little while ago and from the looks of it, you can't even pick one up if found in the wild. This is just my interpretation of the laws, but can someone else verify this for me before I pick up the phone and make a call to the local office? It almost looks like you can't pick up any snake or wild animal for that matter.

Here's the info:

(4) It is unlawful to possess or hold in captivity live wild animals, wild birds, or game fish unless lawfully acquired and possessed. Proof of lawful acquisition and possession must be produced for inspection on request of a department employee. Such proof shall contain:

(a) Species;

(b) Age and sex of animal;

(c) Origin of animal;

(d) Name of receiving party;

(e) Source-name and address;

(f) Invoice/statement date; and

(g) Documentation of prior transfers.

Here's the link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=232-12-064

The rubber boa seems to be the perfect first snake for a kid since they have a great reputation for not biting at all, it seems. Does any one here have any or raise them in captivity?
    Last edited by LocoKen; 08-11-2012 at 08:16 PM.