Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

3 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

I'm such a sucker!!

Well folks, I don't know if any of you read my post about the Salmon morph RTB I bought from Prehistoric Pets, that was advertised on their site as a baby. I had just gotten a baby normal RTB, and to go along with my pair of ball pythons I just figured what the heck... what's one more gonna do..? Well, as it turns out, the ad was almost 2 years old. This was not ever made clear to me until after I had paid for the snake and it had been shipped. Of course, I had a small terrarium set up for this baby I was expecting. When it arrived, come to find out... he's basically the same size as my 13 year old ball pythons... only a bit thinner (and a lot more nervous around people). I was livid, and had heard from many people that I should send it back. So, I got the shipping label and about 15 minutes before I was about to drop it off at the UPS drop off point, my heart just wouldn't let me do it. I immediately went to Wal-Mart and bought the biggest sterilite they had, which is only temporary until my AP cage arrives. But I must admit, I'm glad I had a change of heart. While he may be a bit aggressive, and hard to handle, he's absolutely gorgeous and he eats like a champ. My only conclusion is that over at Prehistoric Pets (in California), he was rarely EVER handled. Probably just long enough to clean the cages and that's it. I've dealt with snakes all my life so I'm not afraid of a bite. I just expected another boa that is as docile as my baby female. I'm hoping that with time and effort he will come around. He seems to be doing a bit better. I've named him Rocky... as in, balBOA (aren't I clever??) .

Also let me take this time to apologize for not being available to participate in the forums as much as I'd like. I work for the town's public works dept' and it has been hectic lately. So anyway, I honestly do plan to become an active member here (again).

Anybody have any suggestions on commercial brand rock hides that will suit a boa? I'd appreciate the feedback on that.

Here is a recent photo of the lil guy to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks for reading and I look forward to some replies if you all have time.
    -Will

Thanks
    Nice "baby"

I hope you tore a strip off f the person you dealt with

Sent from my iPeed using Tapatalk HD
    1.0 Normal (Diablo)
    1.0 Platinum Lesser (Aurora)
    1.0 Russian Blue Cat (Magnum)
    0.1 House Cat (Porsche)
    1.0 Australian Cattle Dog (Diesel)
    0.1 Yorky (Mercedes)
    2.0 Kids (Matt & Leland)
    0.1 Wife (Jennifer)
    No The wife and Kids do not conform to the Automotive type Names haha
    All Lessers are equal, but I got the pretty one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    That's too bad they don't update their ads (pretty ridiculous to leave an ad up for 2 years without changing the info or updating the photo), that's why I always ask for updated current photos before buying a snake For hides you can use kitty litter pans with a hole cut out of them, but usually subadult/adult boas don't really use hides too much (mine sure don't). I think reptile basics (?) has larger hides for bigger snakes too. Good luck with him.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I cant help but lol. I would be pleasantly surprised if I got a "baby" boa that was 5 feet long! Lol. Still I cant believe they didnt update the info.... And his name is awesome! I couldnt have picked a better one!
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

Thanks

Re: I'm such a sucker!!

Yeah, I mean.. I was pretty upset. Imagine my surprise when I pulled this monster out of the snake bag. I like to get my snakes as young as possible. Both of my ball pythons I got right out of the egg. And my other boa, Kona, she's probably around 10 months. In my experience, the younger you get them the better your chances are of having a puppy dog tame snake. This guy, Rocky... He makes me extremely nervous. I'm not afraid of a bite, but he's going to be a big boy. And I have a pug and a cat. And plan to start a family soon. So, if his behavior doesn't start coming around in the next year or so, I'm going to give him to a breeder. He has some beautiful salmon features. His 'red tail' is probably the longest I've ever seen. His belly is a pinkish/orange. Around his mouth is also that color. Just a gorgeous snake all around. And sometimes he's fine when I'm handling him. But I like to take him outside because I think the smell of my dogs gets him into hunt mode. I've noticed when we're outside, he's totally fine. Too bad they can't talk, ya know? I'd tell him to chill out or no more rats for you! lol...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    ^ I'm sure with time he'll calm down. I doubt the smell of your dogs are getting to him, most likely he's just exploring since he's out of his tub (boas act much different then balls, they like to go here and there and are very "in your face" and inquisitive most of the time). Will you be moving him into a viv soon? Around 5' is when I move mine into their vivs from their tubs.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    He is gorgeous. I hope he works out for you. My boa I think would eat everyday if I let her. I have dogs around in the room when I take her out. She doesn't seem interested. She just wants to explore.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks

Yeah, I've been in contact with the sales manager from animal plastics and we're trying to figure out the best option for him. Right now he's content in his tub. But what I want to do is buy two of the same enclosures, so when my baby grows up I won't have to buy another one. She told me she'd cut me a deal if I bought two. Very good people over there, I'd recommend them to anyone. She even talked me out of buying the one I was looking at and directed me toward a cheaper one. It was obvious that they care about the animals that they build these enclosures for. I will be going with the AP model T13 with the sliding acrylic doors. Still deciding on the heating options. I can't remember what she called it, but there is some sort of heat source that they do not offer.. however if I ordered it and had it shipped to them that they would install it free of charge. Supposedly it is a lot more reliable as far as gradient temp goes as opposed to the flexwatt belly heat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... I have had issues with one of my ball pythons and my mothers dog. One time I was sitting with my feet propped up on a stool, and my female Peanut was laying on my legs stretched out. My mom's dog walked under my legs and Peanut tagged her right in the back. She didn't try to coil around her or anything, so I'm guessing she was just startled. It definitely wasn't easy getting her teeth out of the poor dogs back, so ever since I've been cautious when I have my snakes out and my dogs are around. Of course the ball python couldn't have killed the dog, but when Rocky is an adult, he could easily put the squeeze on my pug. And as much as I love my snakes, my pug (Bambam), he's my best friend. It wouldn't be pretty, let's just leave it at that.