Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

2 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    GTP hybridization projects are notorious for being difficult to get successful offspring from. Slug clutches, eggs that fail halfway through.. it's tough. Do some reading on GTP egg incubation, incubating GTP eggs is also notoriously more difficult than many other python species.

One thing is for sure, any offspring from a ball x gtp would likely not be mistaken as anything else, and that's what I like in hybrid projects!!

Hybridizing very similar species makes for more confusion than hybridizing drastically different species, and tends to make for the most spectacular successes when they occur.

For examples of distant hybrid successes, please see:

ball x woma
    ball x burm
    carpet x borneo

For examples of hybrids I consider failures (defined as, once you see the offspring, you think "well, that wasn't worth the effort"):

ball x angolan
    blood x borneo
    rhino x gaboon (this one even occurs in the wild, but I much prefer the distinct species' looks at the extreme furthest edges of each others' range)

Good luck, don't count on succeeding even on your fourth season attempting this cross. Try it enough and change things up when you encounter failure, and you might get a few eggs to go full term and produce healthy hatchlings.
    Coming from an STP perspective.. i have seen some amazing blood borneo crosses... but im biased. Check this out:
    http://thereptilereport.com/coastal-carpet-x-black-blood-python/
    Last edited by sissysnakes; 10-09-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    *M.~

1.0 Western Hognose
    1.0 Cay Caulker boa
    1.0 Ghost Motley Corn
    1.0 Woma python
    1.0 Sumatran STP
    1.0 Cape File Snake
    0.1 Pastel Dream Boa
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not specifically opposed to hybrids, but I'm really disturbed by the fact that you don't seem to know what you're doing. The idea of novices playing god really bothers me. These are living animals, not science experiments.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python X Green Tree Python Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
    I'm not specifically opposed to hybrids, but I'm really disturbed by the fact that you don't seem to know what you're doing. The idea of novices playing god really bothers me. These are living animals, not science experiments.
    I don't think he plans on starting anytime soon.
    1.0 normal ball python
    0.1 normal ball python
    0.1 quaker parrot
    1.0 motley anery corn snake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    @sissysnakes: I've never seen a STP cross I liked! Generally they come out "muddy" to my eyes. I always have an open mind however, and a spectacular animal could sure change that mind I'm perfectly ok with carpet subspecies crosses, but pretty much because a few specific ones turn out spectacular and beautiful. There are plenty of carpet crosses I dislike however (any IJ, NG, or inland crosses), and I've only ever seen one individual bredli/carpet cross I thought was a truly beautiful hybrid.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 10-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks
    Hybrids are a touchy subject so I feel uncomfortable naming names.. but i have seen a few beautiful stp hybrids from some private collections. I think the reason that stp hybrids are so acceptable to me is their proximity in the wild.
    Ill ask around to see if I can get permission to post a pic or two.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    *M.~

1.0 Western Hognose
    1.0 Cay Caulker boa
    1.0 Ghost Motley Corn
    1.0 Woma python
    1.0 Sumatran STP
    1.0 Cape File Snake
    0.1 Pastel Dream Boa
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa

Thanks
    I'm not against hybridization per se. I'm against misrepresentation of hybrids/intergrades. I myself am trying for some colubrid intergrades and hybrids this season. And maybe down the road after I get some experience under my belt with Pythons, move into Walls and Comas. It would be interesting in seeing the out come of a GTP X BP, I do hope you keep us updated when you decide to go thru with it.. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row before playing, and when/if you sell them be clear they are hybrids(if they arent painfully obvious.. even then still note there hybrids.)

-Sand

Thanks
    Dude, I haven't seen may hybrids personally, mostly in pictures. I have seen some beautiful morphs. I was suggesting a morph similar to this "hybrid" and I say go for it.

IF you can get everything lined out and get a way to do it. Let me know. I support your idea 1000%!

I cannot say I am against hybrids. If you are against it, think of your house cats you love and your dogs. Most fancy types are hybrids. Heck we breed HYPOALLERGENIC animals. NOT natural, we just accept them for what they are. GO FOR IT!!!

Who knows, it could be so beautiful noone would then reject it. Its all about bias in the end, and every human has it. Just open up to great possibilities. Its our nature. If we are not releasing into the wild and polluting our general snake populous, we would be fine. You never want to upset mother nature, but as a fellow hobbyist, I wanna know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234