Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

0 members and 3,211 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, imagine trying to get one of those feeding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Re: Ball Python X Green Tree Python Hybrid

@robNj Touche sir. Youre absolutely right. It wouldnt increase survivability at all as long ad they were kept jn captivity. Im not saying I intend to release them or anything. But if the Gtpxball hybrid did come to exist, and people began breeding more of them, in the event of an apocalypse, that hybrid would have a higher chance of surival based sheery on the level of comfort in both trees and on the ground. Comvined with a passive disposition, I thibk it would last a lot longer than within that scenario. In captivity that doesnt matter of course. They are on to road to being domesticated, Eliminating the need to furrher imprive their survivability.

Thanks
    You talk about "improve both species..."
    But you haven't mention what improvements are those?

What are you expecting, besides the skin color morphs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    It'll be harder to cross python regius with morelia viridis than it is morelia viridis x morelia sp., or python regius x python sp., simply because they're not as closely related, so there will be far fewer genes in common. The result will be a lot more non-viable eggs. And the final hybrid is even more likely to be a mule, i.e. sterile.

But if carpets and balls have been successfully mixed, and womas and balls, you should be able to cross balls and chondros. In theory. Maybe.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rvcasa View Post
    You talk about "improve both species..."
    But you haven't mention what improvements are those?

What are you expecting, besides the skin color morphs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Riv outlined this in his post previous to yours...in the case of cataclysmic events that would undoubtedly free all captive bred animals, hybridization may be the key factor in benefiting said species by equipping them with the best behaviors of both worlds, so that they can be more adaptable to living in all environments.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Riv (08-14-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    It'll be harder to cross python regius with morelia viridis than it is morelia viridis x morelia sp., or python regius x python sp., simply because they're not as closely related, so there will be far fewer genes in common. The result will be a lot more non-viable eggs. And the final hybrid is even more likely to be a mule, i.e. sterile.

But if carpets and balls have been successfully mixed, and womas and balls, you should be able to cross balls and chondros. In theory. Maybe.
    I was thinking about that. They arent as closely related. And as a result the hybriid being sterile is a very real possibility. But there is the link of carpet pythons. Even if one was completely unsuccessful breeding a pure GTP to a pure ball, they may be able to be combined using carpets as a catalyst. Lets say you attempted to breed a Carpandros with a carpall. Now, im no expert, and this is going on my basic understanding of breeding and genetics, but even though you would never really get a what a pure GTP X Ball hybrid would be like, it would allow the two species genetics to mingle, and with selective breeding you could wind up with a snake that would be the closet thing to that hybrid. I dont really see the carpet genetics really adding anything new to the mix except maybe some cool patterns, but It was fun to think about XD

Thanks
    Go for it , I would love to see this hybrid.

Thanks

Snake of my dreams, Albino Burm-ball or Blue-eyed Lucistic Burm-ball. It doesn't get prettier than that
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    I think it is also important to take in consideration if you do manage to produce the hybrid offspring. If you do not get the disired outcome, what will you do with the offspring? I feel it is important to consider others, and the purity of both the GTP and BP line. If you did decide to sell these to the general public, even if you do specify to the buyer that this is a Crossed/hybrid animal, what is to stop them from selling that animal to the next buyer as a BP or GTP (depending on how it looks).
    Just a thought, I am not against hybrids, I just think there is a certain responsibilty when "creating" these animals.
    *M.~

1.0 Western Hognose
    1.0 Cay Caulker boa
    1.0 Ghost Motley Corn
    1.0 Woma python
    1.0 Sumatran STP
    1.0 Cape File Snake
    0.1 Pastel Dream Boa
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    GTP hybridization projects are notorious for being difficult to get successful offspring from. Slug clutches, eggs that fail halfway through.. it's tough. Do some reading on GTP egg incubation, incubating GTP eggs is also notoriously more difficult than many other python species.

One thing is for sure, any offspring from a ball x gtp would likely not be mistaken as anything else, and that's what I like in hybrid projects!!

Hybridizing very similar species makes for more confusion than hybridizing drastically different species, and tends to make for the most spectacular successes when they occur.

For examples of distant hybrid successes, please see:

ball x woma
    ball x burm
    carpet x borneo

For examples of hybrids I consider failures (defined as, once you see the offspring, you think "well, that wasn't worth the effort"):

ball x angolan
    blood x borneo
    rhino x gaboon (this one even occurs in the wild, but I much prefer the distinct species' looks at the extreme furthest edges of each others' range)

Good luck, don't count on succeeding even on your fourth season attempting this cross. Try it enough and change things up when you encounter failure, and you might get a few eggs to go full term and produce healthy hatchlings.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 10-09-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast