Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

1 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that GTP and Carpet pythons are both of the Genus Morelia, and virtually share the same geographic range. Some subspecies of carpets are much more arboreal than keepers give the allowance for, so it's not a stretch to imagine "carpondros" in the wild.

If you do end up trying this, I would make sure the female is a ball python. GTP eggs are smaller than BP eggs, and you might run into even more problem with a slender gtp trying to pass larger eggs.

Just for the record, I'm not opposed to hybrids, but I wouldn't want to be the first time try a cross for fear of losing either of my snakes due to complications.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dabonus For This Useful Post:

loonunit (08-13-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Your thinking on which sex to pair is backward. I doubt the ball would have too much affect of the chondros eggs size but you never know. In my experience, male chondros will breed a rope if it smells like a female. I'm not really sure where this myth is coming from that chondros are difficult to breed. They breed like cornsnakes. The difficulty come with getting eggs to hatch and getting babies to survive. I would choose to go with a female ball just due to the hardiness of their eggs and babies.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Osborne For This Useful Post:

arialmt (10-09-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ball Python X Green Tree Python Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Osborne View Post
    In my experience, male chondros will breed a rope if it smells like a female. I'm not really sure where this myth is coming from that chondros are difficult to breed. They breed like cornsnakes.
    That's good to hear. I've got a male chondro that I would like to pair with my IJ in the near future.

Thanks
    Excuse my ignorance,

Why ???

I know the idea is fascinating to some but have you stopped to think about the what if's ??

I know it is something that could possibly happen in the wild and who is to say it hasn't.. What if the risks out weigh the rewards and you end up with a clutch is mutant snakes that won't make it or lose your female and clutch...

I don't know I just think some things are best left to thoughts and discussion
    1.0 Normal (Diablo)
    1.0 Platinum Lesser (Aurora)
    1.0 Russian Blue Cat (Magnum)
    0.1 House Cat (Porsche)
    1.0 Australian Cattle Dog (Diesel)
    0.1 Yorky (Mercedes)
    2.0 Kids (Matt & Leland)
    0.1 Wife (Jennifer)
    No The wife and Kids do not conform to the Automotive type Names haha
    All Lessers are equal, but I got the pretty one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExotixTowing View Post
    Excuse my ignorance,

Why ???

I know the idea is fascinating to some but have you stopped to think about the what if's ??

I know it is something that could possibly happen in the wild and who is to say it hasn't.. What if the risks out weigh the rewards and you end up with a clutch is mutant snakes that won't make it or lose your female and clutch...

I don't know I just think some things are best left to thoughts and discussion
    You can end up with a bunch of snakes that won't make it or lose your female and clutch by breeding ball x ball.

I, personally, love hybrids. I plan on trying for a hybrid in the future. But my personal opinion would be to have experience breeding gtps and ball pythons ( separately ) before pursuing breeding them together
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (08-14-2012),Valentine Pirate (09-18-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dabonus View Post
    That's good to hear. I've got a male chondro that I would like to pair with my IJ in the near future.
    IJ Carpondros make the best looking hybrids. We produced a stellar clutch last year and they are said the be the best looking Carpondros produced by many breeders. Good luck!

Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandon Osborne For This Useful Post:

bman123 (08-06-2012),rjk890 (08-05-2012)

Thanks

@Dobonas, and brandon osborn, I have heard theyre pretty comfortable in trees, but I never looked into it. And if the sex drive in GTP males is good then I would absolutely opt to have the female be a ball. Ive never heard anything about the durability or survival rate of hatchlings, but I would totally beleive balls being a little hardier in that department.

@Exotixtowing the simple passion and desire to create them(as stated in my first post) is enough of a reason. Why did anyone mix red and blue together? To create the specific shade of purple they wanted. No one that breeds balls is furthering the species by doing so. They are selectively breeding gene pools that they LIKE. Or that sell well. We may try and pick the biggest females, or the least aggressive snakes. But that isnt helping them to survive as a species, so I am going to ask you WHY you breed ball pythons. Or anything else for that matter? It is because you want to. Plain and simple.

As someone earlier mentioned. there are a lot of what ifs, and thats part of the allure. When breeding ANYTHING there is signifigant risk that somthing and anything may go wrong and youll lose the babies and the mother. There is always that risk in the breeding of any animal humans included. So thats like asking a person why they wont have kids, and them responding why would you? It could impact your health.

As far as mutant snakes go, thats EXACTLY what im going for = P a mutant combination of both species. Heck, BP morphs are mutant variants. What we all do here, is look for new strains we can isolate and combine with others. Hybrid breeders just do that on a broader scale in unexplored territory. And If I wound up with a clutch that wouldnt survive, then no one who doesnt support hybrids has anything to complain about. On the other end of that, if no one tweaked their forumla and tried after an experiment failed and blew up their lab the technology we use today never would have existed.

Yes, I suppose their are things that should be left to thought and discussion, like whether to inject mountain dew, or whether its a good idea to paint your rabbit. Things that can actually hurt or provide a negative life for you or your animal. But breeding two species of animal together does not deteriorate their quality of life, or provide any *additional* risks, so long as quarentine is upheld, and there is honesty in the sale of a hybrid.

That is just my opinion, but I think that the people opposed to hybrid breeding are slightly more conernced than is called for. There is just as much if not more potential to improve both species as there is to creative a mutant desiese through hybrid breeding that wipes out both. When I think of a decent sized snake that doesnt prefer to strike but isnt scared to, whom is equally comfortable in trees and on the ground, and is capable of hunting happily in either terrain, that screams survivability to me. And offers a portion of both worlds, and absolute varieability in the species that could potentially outlast both of its ancestors if it started breeding on its own. At least in my opinion, the benefits of succeeding greatly outway the possibilities of failure, and while I may or may not choose to persue this goal I do think that it should be achieved.
    Last edited by Riv; 08-05-2012 at 03:40 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Riv For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (08-05-2012)

Registered User tattoos & snakes's Avatar
    Thanks
    you got my vote keep me posted on this.am exicted for you
    tattoos & snakes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoos & snakes For This Useful Post:

Riv (08-05-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think a GTP with a ball could be pretty cool looking depending on what female ball is used. I have never seen a GTP/Ball hybrid but if you could mix the ball morph pattern and color with the GTP it could be pretty cool.

I think a lot of people just hear hybrid and pitch a fit over no real reason other then it would never happen in the wild. Hey this is life and a lot of stuff wouldn't happen in the wild but guess what it still does. Life without taking chances is extremely boring I say go for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riv View Post
    That is just my opinion, but I think that the people opposed to hybrid breeding are slightly more conernced than is called for. There is just as much if not more potential to improve both species as there is to creative a mutant desiese through hybrid breeding that wipes out both. When I think of a decent sized snake that doesnt prefer to strike but isnt scared to, whom is equally comfortable in trees and on the ground, and is capable of hunting happily in either terrain, that screams survivability to me. And offers a portion of both worlds, and absolute varieability in the species that could potentially outlast both of its ancestors if it started breeding on its own. At least in my opinion, the benefits of succeeding greatly outway the possibilities of failure, and while I may or may not choose to persue this goal I do think that it should be achieved.
    Almost following you right up until this little bit here...You can cross any species, colors, etc, as you want; it's not going to increase the "survivability" factor for animals that are kept in enclosures in our homes. That's as moot a point as "it could never occur naturally". If you're going to work with hybrids, you're doing it simply because you want to(not right, nor wrong, IMO); not in any way, shape or form for the benefit of either species.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Mutheruva (10-11-2012)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast