Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,676

1 members and 2,675 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python X Green Tree Python Hybrid

Hello all,
    Let me start by saying I do know there are a very signifigant number of snake keepers opposed to hybrids whether it be the simple lack of information we have on them, or the risk with combining two species bloodlines and linking a species in a way it naturally never would have, and I respect those who feel that way and their opinions. The last thing I would like is to have a friendly conversation about a theory turn into a conflict no one is enjoying. I have very literally NO idea if I will ever participate in attempting hybrids, but it is a thought I love to entertain and think about XD

I personally love hybrids. Theres nothing more interesting to me then seeing which parts of each snake are presant, and nothing more intriguing than watching their behaviors and chipping away at all the possibilities. And I wont lie I personally love the feeling of facilitating life. Bringing new life into the world is a beautiful thing. But im equally as allured by the thought of creating something that has never existed before. The idea that a project I may work in on the future could produce something unique to the world, to know that I directly added a new factor, and contributed to the evolution of both our world and the two species involved would be an incredible feeling. Whether people find it morally acceptable or doesnt remove the signifigance of the event in my eyes.

Originally I had intended to try my hand at producing Spider Burmballs(I set the goal high, I know XD), but with the lacey act and whatnot even if I did by some miracle produce some, by the time is happened, burm hybrids may also be unable to cross state lines not allowing me to sell any offspring in the event I felt it was the right thing to do.

So I started thinking about whats out there right now, and I thought, hey why not attempt a GTP X BP cross? GTP's are considered tricky to breed in the first place, much less with a terrestrial species, but someone managed to create Carpondros right? In theory, it should be possible. The biggest issue would be getting them to lock because of their different hang out spots.

My two normal females have plastic frogs aquarium sealented to the sides of their tank walls as well as bamboo climbing bars, and a hemp hammock that reaches every corner of the tank. Now my girls may be strange, but they use the climbing bars quite often, and coil around the frogs for hours at a time. The hammock isnt used that often, but Id say then spend 60% of the time grounded, and the remaining 40% suspended. I couldnt find much on how GTP's behave when they arent given a perch, and I figured better not risk it frankly.

I would more than likely choose to outfit a 90 gallon tank(24"T-18"D-4'L if I remember correctly), and keep the pair in that using heat lamps and a humidifier to regulate the environment. I dont want to stress them out more than necessary by moving them, or deny them the oppertunity to lock. On that note, I would probably choose to pair a larger male Ball Python, with a female Green tree Python. I think that a male is more likely to seek out the female and mate, and Ball Pythons seem to be less out of their comfort zone in trees than GTP's are on the ground.

Two crossed PVC perches 7" off the cage floor would be provided. I think that should be enough for the GTP to feed comfortable, and not too high for the ball python to make his way up to her.
    On the warm side of the enclosure, I would put an 8" Perch(the tallest in the cage) with a platform below it, but just enough that the male BP may be able to finnagle a lock while the GTP would be on the perch.(I have no experience with GTP's whatsoever, so im not sure if that would work, but it does SEEM like a nice middle ground for them XDD

The underside of said platform would also act as the BP's warm hide, regulated with a digital controlled UTH if the heat lamp is unable to create the right temp.

Please everyone critique my plans, and expand upon them. If I ever do decide to try this out, im gonna want to make sure that Im doing everything I can to happily facilitate both snakes and encourage copulation. Thanks for reading!

Thanks
    You might want to check out Hybrid Haven and pose your questions there. It's a hybrid specific forum. There might be other people trying to do this and you could bounce ideas off of each other.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyknees For This Useful Post:

loonunit (08-13-2012),sissysnakes (10-09-2012)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python X Green Tree Python Hybrid

Is that another forum? I looked for a subforum specifically geared toward hybrids but didnt find anything. Man I expected some people to not be happy about the idea, but its been complete radio silence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riv View Post
    Is that another forum? I looked for a subforum specifically geared toward hybrids but didnt find anything. Man I expected some people to not be happy about the idea, but its been complete radio silence.
    I think the concept is fascinating, but I know zilch (functionally) about GTPs, so couldn't even venture a guess at advice. You'll probably be better off trying the suggested forum to learn from the "right" people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Yeah, Ill have to check that place out = P

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Man I expected some people to not be happy about the idea, but its been complete radio silence.
    you'll find silence isn't necessarily approval, just silence
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I'm of the disapproval group, but not sure if I'm ready to spend energy describing why.

GL, I guess
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Fair enough I suppose.

Thanks
    Hey idk anything that will help you but you've got my vote. I think it would be cool.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zach_24_90 For This Useful Post:

Riv (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    www.hybridhaven.net

different forum all together.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast