Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

4 members and 3,393 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Aggression Genetic or Learnt?

I have heard a lot that aggression is a genetic trait that can be breed out by selective breeding. However I saw a YouTube video where a guy claimed in the description that aggression is a learnt trait and he had left offspring with aggressive parent and all the offspring turned out nasty but when he took the litters from an aggressive parents and had them fostered by non-aggressive parents that all the babies turned out non-aggressive as well. I don't have any ASF yet but I found that interesting and wanted to see if anyone else has done this or has any knowledge of such?
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.0.1 Nicaraguan Boa
    1.1 Corn Snakes
    0.1 Jungle Corn
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake

Thanks
    With ASF's, Just hold them and make sure to spend time with all the babies for a little bit and they will not be aggressive.

Thanks
    On Netflix there is a show called dogs decoded that deals with the genetic aspect. They showed with foxes that it can be bred into an animal. A pretty convincing argument that at least some of behavior is genetic. However it can also be a learned behavior as well.
    Skagit Reptiles

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    On Netflix there is a show called dogs decoded that deals with the genetic aspect. They showed with foxes that it can be bred into an animal. A pretty convincing argument that at least some of behavior is genetic. However it can also be a learned behavior as well.
    I have seen that show before and it's really interesting and is the example I usually think of when is comes to breeding for tameness( I'd love to have one of those foxes too!).

I've also taken a couple psychology classes last year in college and that's opened my mind to the nature vs nurture argument. That has opened my mind too idea that it could at least be somewhat learnt. It would be and interesting experiment.
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.0.1 Nicaraguan Boa
    1.1 Corn Snakes
    0.1 Jungle Corn
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's definitely influenced by genetics. Regular rats pass on their personalities to offspring, which is something I've witnessed firsthand. I don't handle my ASF colony much at all, but I feed off any aggressive ones. Now I have a bunch of soft furs that I can pick up (by the tail) with bare hands and not worry about getting charged/attacked. I can rest them on the back of my hand as well without fear of being bitten.

- - - Updated - - -

Handling them from birth is also very helpful, though. I think it's a combination of genetics and handling.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks
    i have been working with my asf handling them picking them up all that good stuff and i can reach in there and pick them up no problem unless they have babies