Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

2 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New member and new borneo short tailed python

Hi everyone, I just joined today and I have a few questions. I recently purchased a male hatchling borneo short tailed python last Saturday. I have researched information about them before my purchase but I would like to get some views and opinions from some actual owners. The guy at the pet store told me that he was about 3 to 4 weeks old at the time of purchase and he is about 8 to 10 inches long. I was told that I can keep him in a ten gallon aquarium by the guy at the pet store, is this accurate? Or should I put him in a ventilated rubbermaid tub which I already have? For substrate he is on a combination of coconut husk and sphagum moss, should I keep him on this or give him paper towel, newspaper, eco earth, or something else? The other question is that for heating in the tank he has a heat lamp, but I do not have a heating source for the rubbermaid container. However the ambient air temperatures in my home are 80 to 85 during the day and about 75 to 80 at night in the room that he is in. Lastly I have tried handling the little guy, he has never tried to bite me, but he is flighty. He is ok with the initial pick up, but then when he realizes that he is no longer in his enclosure he flails and tries to get away. Is this normal, and will he grow out of this over time? Apologies for all of the questions, I just want to make sure that I am giving him the best living conditions that are possible.
    Last edited by tamousw; 07-22-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks
    I'd like to think it was older and had had its 1st meal, But anyway..
    Yes you can use a fish tank, BUT, it is 2nd to the rubbermaid which is the norm and prefered or other brand plastic..
    Never used coconut stuff, but spagnum is wonderful for babies, Our new hatch clean themselves up in spagnum but go to newspaper shortly there after..I'd suggest you stay with spagnum until it is a savage feeder..The daytime temps are fine & dandy, if there was a meal in him you'd prefer he did not see 75 though..Wee bit cool for digestion..Being a baby he is not acclimated/accustomed to the world as it will be yet..These guys will get tense and spring right out of your hand/s..Many/most will not bite but want to escape..Keep it in hand until it settles down, Do not grasp tightly but maintain a secure hold..He will in time go on to be a layed back pet if handled and loved..

Was this purchased from an OKC pet shop ? I sold a gravid female to a fellow who went on to hatch them and sold to such..

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Tim. The guy at the pet store where I bought him from said that he had eaten three mice the day before I bought him, and I bought him last Monday to be exact. He was not purchased in OKC though, I bought him here in Chicago Illinois.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I'm curious what pet shop had a borneo short tailed python for you to buy? Was it one of the chain stores? I am also in Chicago

to BP.net! Are you going to repticon this weekend?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: New member and new borneo short tailed python

Thanks for the welcome. I bought him from Pet Luv on 80th and Cicero. Not sure if I will make it to repticon this weekend or not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tamousw For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (07-22-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tamousw View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I bought him from Pet Luv on 80th and Cicero. Not sure if I will make it to repticon this weekend or not.
    Never even heard of that place! Was it pretty decent?

If you've never been to a reptile show I would try really hard to go to Repticon, the next big show isn't til October. Though we are fortunate to have the all animal expo in Wheaton, IL twice a month it isn't nearly as big as NARBC or Repticon.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

The guy at the pet store seemed to be very knowledgeable about snakes. He told me that he owned his own blood pythons and short tailed pythons, this is what made me more comfortable with purchasing from this particular pet store. All of their snakes looked healthy and were easy to handle except the brother to my borneo..lol. I really will try to make repticon this weekend if I can though, if not I will have to wait until October.

Thanks
    If you do decide to use the rubbermaid tub, check out Ultratherm heat mats from the Bean Farm for a heat source. They're efficient, inexpensive, and quite reliable. They also come in a variety of sizes. Good luck with your new STP!
    Last edited by Kara; 07-23-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kara For This Useful Post:

tamousw (07-23-2012)