Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

0 members and 3,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Breaking the barrier and making a bridge!

Alrighty, I know that a lot of people here tend to enjoy saying that pet stores are almost always wrong on the advice and instructions they give to new reptile owners... Well hopefully that is about to change a little in my neck of the woods. I have applied to a local, very popular, pet store chain as a pet care technician for reptiles, fish, and small mammals and I'm going in for another interview here soon! I finally decided that since I was willing to complain then I might as well be willing to try and make a difference. Why not try and fix the problem and maybe create a harmonious balance between the market, the community, and the customers? I'm hoping I get the job and that I have everyone's support. I realize that I cannot change the world, but I can at least try and give out the correct advice and show them the correct products for the animals they are buying.
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I could never work at a chain store, props to you though.

Id be fired within a day for not promoting any of the stores products. None of the pet stores near me sell flexwatt, quality t-stats, plastic tubs, racks, or pvc cages...

Good luck with getting a job though.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thank you! Like i said I can't change the world but if we can maybe get more people to work with the stores and show them that they need more stuff and they could be selling more quality products that really work then maybe it'll happen. One step at a time I have to get hired first
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

Thanks
    I know you didn't ask for advice (and this is where I usually stop myself) but...

When you deny a sale, and your manager gets mad at you, remind them that you are thinking long term. A customer leaving with more information, or perhaps a different more suitable animal that is less likely to fail in their care, results in a loyal returning customer. An animal bought on impulse with an improper set up, might be more profit up front, but you run the risk of losing customers not only due to that direct situation going south once the animal is home, but you also risk losing customers due to 'word of mouth' because that customer will blame you for their mistakes.

Make sure you explain to the customer WHY you are denying selling them an animal in a logical way... or work with them to set up a proper habitat.. get them on your side, so they feel encouraged to research and learn more, and not shut out or belittled. I've seen far too many pet store employees that know plenty of information, but feel they are above everyone else who doesn't know as much, or talks down to people who don't make the best choices in reptiles. Make customers feel like you're on their side. Don't just shut them out, suggest alternatives - you can still help the store make a profit, but you will have more customers, and you will also help the animals in your care.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Royal Chick (07-17-2012)

Thanks
    You can give me advice any time! Thank you for being supportive of me and my effort and being objective about it!
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

Thanks

Re: Breaking the barrier and making a bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Chick View Post
    You can give me advice any time! Thank you for being supportive of me and my effort and being objective about it!
    I worked at Petco for 5 years, with two stores with amazing employees that busted their butts to make sure the habitats and animals were the best they could be, with the restrictions placed on them by corporate. When the habitats were required to be a certain way that wasn't necessarily the best for the animals, we did what we could to speak to the district manager about making alterations. Didn't always work, but lots of little steps eventually lead to progress.

Another tidbit--- the next time you see a thread on here bashing chain pet stores, understand that there ARE people who understand that it is dependent on the specific staff at a specific store, and don't mean to lump everybody into the 'horrible stupid petstore employee' category. If you must comment, just take a deep breath first, and do so calmly.. just don't take generalized pet store bashing comments as a personal attack. It'll make your forum experience more pleasant

Thanks
    Very true, and I understand that. The biggest thing is that a lot of people find it funny when the pet stores get it wrong and they comment about it but they never intervene to change the sales rep's idea or instructions. They never stop them and camly and politely say, "Hey I noticed that you had to look at the care sheet for the bp customer, I own some and I can maybe give you some pointers so you can feel more confident in helping the next one." make it to where they're building the employee up instead of going behind their back and not helping EVERY customer instead of just the ONE they saw. I want to be able to help make a bigger difference in a diplomatic way you know.
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx