Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

0 members and 3,148 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Considering adding a gecko to my collection.

Decisions decisions..
    I really like Pictus Geckos/Fat Tails/Panthers

but I want some other suggestions.
    Last edited by Navy; 07-17-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    -Hanna :)

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would go with a crested gecko! They stay small-ish, are handlable, dont require lights or heating. Only need to feed them a powder mixed with water and the occasional crickets and mist them everyday. That and babies go for about $30! I have mine in a 12x12x18 exo terra and its gunna last her awhile. Just make sure she has a hide on the bottom and thick plants and vines all around the tank. They are easy to breed too only downside is 2 eggs sometimes one per clutch. I love em!!!
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Considering adding a gecko to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by reptiliachnids View Post
    I would go with a crested gecko! They stay small-ish, are handlable, dont require lights or heating. Only need to feed them a powder mixed with water and the occasional crickets and mist them everyday. That and babies go for about $30! I have mine in a 12x12x18 exo terra and its gunna last her awhile. Just make sure she has a hide on the bottom and thick plants and vines all around the tank. They are easy to breed too only downside is 2 eggs sometimes one per clutch. I love em!!!
    X2 on the Crestie! They're great! I love my little one. They are gorgeous to boot!

- Nakita

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    I love crested geckos, but I'm all for fat tails. It all depends on what you want out of your gecko. If you want something that doesn't require heat and insects as well as having a beautiful natural enclosure go with a crestie. If you want something that is equally easy after you setup their enclosure go with a fat tail if you can handle feeding roaches, mealworms, or crickets. Personally I prefer my fat tails over the cresteds. Out of the 17 New Calendonian geckos I have only a couple are relatively calm, out of all 6 of my fat tails everyone is calm. I don't like having to constantly trying to "catch" my reptile while I handle them. Fat tails just have such a cool easy going personality and with all the current and new morphs coming out every season I don't see any reason to wait to get into some cool projects. It really all depends on what you'd like more. I would recommend going to a reptile shop or show and handling a few different animals from each species before making your final choice. You really can't go wrong with a crested gecko or an african fat tail. Good luck choosing!

Here's a little eye candy from my collection...

Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Thanks
    I've got a Leopard, Crestie and a Gargoyle.

I love all of them in different ways. My Rhacs are awesome, because they don't require intense husbandry requirements. Getting their tank set-up initially was a bit tricky, but once I had it rolling they are good to go. I also feed them crickets, however, along with their Repashy food. They are both avid hunters, so it gives them some mental stimulation every week

But I absolutely love my little Leopard gecko. He's my main boy. My crestie is my 'favorite', because he was my first and he's SUCH a character. But my Leopard is a huge part of my collection because I can handle him safely in front of others, and he interacts so well with others. Calm, sweet... He's got the most laid back, mellow attitude. I've met dozens that were kind of flighty, but I've met more Leos that are calm, sweet and almost affectionate.

Recon has a huge personality for such a little guy. All the geckos really do. But Recon is hilarious. I love that gecko. I got to really know him when he broke his little arm with me in less than 24/hr. Turns out he had a bone infection that was literally eating holes in his arm and almost kililng him. So he was medicated, treated, poked and prodded, and I got very attached. Now, he's fine and only has a slight bend at his 'wrist'. Since then, we've been buddies for sure.

No matter which way you go, find a gecko that speaks to you. Don't worry about morph so much as personality! Trust me. It makes all the difference, and is well worth it You should like it, obviously, but interact with the gecko before you get it. It'll tell you whether or not it's the gecko for you.

When I picked up Recon, he looked at me, licked me, walked around my hands, then sighed and laid his belly flat on my hand with his chin propped up on my thumb. Legs fully relaxed and out to the side. Haha. He made himself right at home.... in my heart

Here's Recon, actively stalking my boyfriend on the couch. He'd walk a few steps, then lean out and look. Then walk a few more steps, stop and look... He did this like eight or ten times.

Smiley boy
    Last edited by Vasiliki; 07-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I love my two cresties but after reading my new reptile rag I think I am going to start looking for a couple Chameleon Geckos!!!
    Talk about staying small LOL

Thanks
    I keep leos, cresteds, and pictus. And they are all great pets in their own way, but personally the pictus just stand out to me. They're small little geckos with unique personalities and really simple husbandry. I have several other geckos that are I plan on getting soon including cave geckos and viper geckos, which you might want to look into if you want something to look at more than handle. So believe me I know your indecisiveness lol

Thanks
    I have 4 Leopard Geckos. They're great. Super easy. Cool looking. Inexpensive. Easy to handle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Can't beat a crestie as long as you don't keep your entire house too hot and don't mind a lot of misting!

~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Even though you didn't list it, I would highly recommend a Leopard. I wouldn't trade my 6 for the WORLD. However, my fat tail is a sweet heart so their no bad choices either.

There's a real big variety of morphs in Leo's if you go that route. Their typically less expensive that fat tail morphs, but I like fat tail normals a whole lot.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone
    Last edited by Kodieh; 08-07-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast