Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,957

3 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Okay, I made a temporary pin for him out of my spare dog crate that is 42"L x 30"W x 32"H

and I took an old cat taxi and took the bottom and flipped it over for a hide box

I'm going to try to find a place that sells hay and put it at the bottom

but I have no idea what to use for a water source.

Is this okay?
    I want to keep him, but I'm not sure if I can.
    I'll call the wildlife sanctuary monday and ask them

what do I feed him?
    I'm guessing he eats mainly meats like fish and worms and stuff
    but is there anything specific

I thought he would like this more than a cramped box in my room for the weekend.
    Last edited by Navy; 07-14-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    -Hanna :)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    They eat kind of like an adult bearded dragon.. Greens, diced veggies, edible flowers like dandelions, berries, and feeder insects like worms or crickets only as a treat maybe once or twice a week. They are not aquatic and will sink and drown in water where they can not reach the bottom. They like to burrow and dig. They require a large enclosure with a natural substrate and a large shallow water pan like a big plastic cake pan with a ramp or rocks to get in and out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-14-2012)

Thanks
    They have a great memory of their range and should be released close to where they are found. This is usually near a shallow water source like a creek, pond, marshy area, or even a river with easy banks and a wooded area nearby. They know where all the best food sources and water sources are in their range. If it was found very far from an area like this it was either released or lost near there, or carried by a predator. Their season to travel looking for mates should be over with now so it doesn't make sense that it would have traveled that far on its own.

They are naturally shy and friendly. Much less likely to bite than an aquatic turtle.

Thanks

Re: Look Who Was In The Road!

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    They eat kind of like an adult bearded dragon.. Greens, diced veggies, edible flowers like dandelions, berries, and feeder insects like worms or crickets only as a treat maybe once or twice a week. They are not aquatic and will sink and drown in water where they can not reach the bottom. They like to burrow and dig. They require a large enclosure with a natural substrate and a large shallow water pan like a big plastic cake pan with a ramp or rocks to get in and out.
    aye captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    They have a great memory of their range and should be released close to where they are found. This is usually near a shallow water source like a creek, pond, marshy area, or even a river with easy banks and a wooded area nearby. They know where all the best food sources and water sources are in their range. If it was found very far from an area like this it was either released or lost near there, or carried by a predator. Their season to travel looking for mates should be over with now so it doesn't make sense that it would have traveled that far on its own.

They are naturally shy and friendly. Much less likely to bite than an aquatic turtle.
    Honestly, we have nothing like that anywhere around here.
    I think he was a pet, since he eats okay from hand and was either released or got out.
    Last edited by Navy; 07-14-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    -Hanna :)

Thanks
    It's quite possible then. If thats the case, it wouldn't do well if released until it learned the area. It's probably best if you keep it. When I had mine I just kept it in a large Rubbermaid tote with a mixture of cypress mulch and ecoearth. A few inches. They will dig to find the worms if you just dump some in there. Then just a lid for a storage container to put its salad and veggies on every day. The bedding doesn't need to be changed very often because ecoearth helps break down waste if it's misted down a little when it dries out so I'd only change it if it got an odor. You can find care info on them pretty easily.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-14-2012)

Thanks
    I use rabbit pans at work for our box turtles and they work great. Places like Tractor Supply or feed stores will sell mini "barrels" of hay. I get small timothy barrels for my rabbits. As far as feeding goes I agree with the previous posts. They love sardines I give them as a treat a couple times month. They do love to dig. If they are going to be kept in an outdoor enclosure this should be kept in mind. Our indoor enclosure has 4-6 inches of soil/mulch and then a deeper area of about a foot for them to burrow. Since they are native they do well with most temperatures, but ours have shown to love their heated area. Good luck!
    Herps are cool.

One of the attractions of outdoor pursuits activities for many people is that life is reduced to the barest essentials, and in the process a more intimate connection to the natural world is established. Food that would be trashed or fed to the dog at home tastes wonderful, a cup of murky water is much appreciated, and after a few days, even a thin sleeping pad can feel like a comfortable mattress as tired bones are able to rest after a hard day's work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12