Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

0 members and 3,338 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Feeding question? too little? bigger mice/rats?

Hi,

I have a quick question about feeding, i have been feeding my ball python, who is around 2 feet long and 1.5 inches in diameter and 4-5 inches circumference, 1 adult mice a week. Is this enough should i be be feeding her more? Or what size rats/mice should i be using?

Thanks, this forum is great

Thanks
    Please get yourself a digital scale (walmart sells them for $15). Telling us length doesn't mean much when talking ball pythons. Weight is far more accurate way of measuring your snake. Your snake should be fed 10-15% of its body weight every 5-7 days, as a general rule. Rats are more nutritious and switching a mouser to rats later in life can be a real pain sometimes, so it is generally advised to start your ball on rats asap (most of us start them on fuzzy rats right out of the eggs).

Thanks

Re: Feeding question? too little? bigger mice/rats?

Whatever you use for food should be about as round as the thickest part of your snake. If you think you need to feed it more, then after it eats the first rodent, try offering it again. If it is still hungry it will eat and if not no harm done, just toss the rodent in the freezer for next time or feed it to another animal. I hope this helps

Thanks

Re: Feeding question? too little? bigger mice/rats?

Quote Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
    Please get yourself a digital scale (walmart sells them for $15). Telling us length doesn't mean much when talking ball pythons. Weight is far more accurate way of measuring your snake. Your snake should be fed 10-15% of its body weight every 5-7 days, as a general rule. Rats are more nutritious and switching a mouser to rats later in life can be a real pain sometimes, so it is generally advised to start your ball on rats asap (most of us start them on fuzzy rats right out of the eggs).
    I agree, my biggest male is about 3 feet give or take, he is a mouse eater. I feed him 3-5 adult mice every meal and he still wants more. I am trying to get him on rats but it is a pain. try switching from F/T to live and/or different sizes.
    Jon