Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

0 members and 3,260 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Anything you may want to delete in the future, should best be left unsaid...or, grow a sack and stand by what you do say.

Once you reach the age of 12 or so, there are to take backsies...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (07-09-2012),heathers*bps (07-30-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll answer your question. No, you should not be able to delete your posts. One should man (or woman) up and own what they put out there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (07-30-2012),Kara (07-09-2012),Slim (07-10-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    I honestly don't see why people being able to delete threads, such as for sale threads, shouldn't be allowed. It would definitely keep things tidy.
    0.1 Pastel (Alice)
    1.0 Spider (Hunter)
    1.0 Mojave (Mopar)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fedele View Post
    I honestly don't see why people being able to delete threads, such as for sale threads, shouldn't be allowed. It would definitely keep things tidy.
    It will not happen either each ad counts toward one's annual limit, should someone be able to delete their ad they would than be able to post an unlimited number of ad.

Why not being able to post as many ad as someone want you may ask? Because advertising is not our main purpose/mission therefore there are limits, therefore we must be able to know whether or not a member has reached his limit which is why ads are not deleted.

As for keeping things tidy, no worry that's why the staff is here for.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (07-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Since we can't post on ad threads anyway, I don't see how ad threads can make it "untidy" in the first place. The ad is placed, then it drops down as other threads are posted and "goes away" as it is older and no longer "new".
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fedele View Post
    I don't find the site untidy to begin with. We've worked hard to make this site very organized. We have staff to maintain that order.

Deborah has already explained the ad angle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    look we've all said stupid things on the internet before...

I try to reread every post before I submit them and then again before the 10 minute period is up. occasionally I am in a hurry or something and don't reread a post and it goes across badly. It's embarrassing and seeing that thread back at the top of the list can make you feel even worse. But the truth of the matter is that eventually it falls below the front page (or forum page) and is out of sight and eventually out of mind.

This site is very forgiving in most cases, and all is forgiven/forgotten with time. Posting well thought out and helpful posts or asking good questions and responding to answers appropriately will go along way. Everything in this hobby is based on reputation (if you ever intend on selling)

All of this isn't to say that you can post whatever you want and everything will be fine... but that a few posts/threads that don't go over so well aren't the end of the world. People will move on if you do. It only becomes an issue if it is a reoccurring thing.

Deleting posts is the last thing we want to do. As I already said this hobby is completely based on reputation. Being able to delete posts just makes it harder to know who you can trust.

In addition this site has a fairly good search feature that allows people to see if their question has already been answered (wish people would use it more often sometimes lol) Individual threads don't just help the people posting on them, you always see guests/other registered members viewing but not posting. The entire point of this site is to share information and help create a community that is helpful and trustworthy. Deleting posts goes against that in every way.

Things like the for sale ads are confined in their own section of the site... It isn't like they are strung through out various forums. Once they run off the front page the only way to see them is to go to the for sale section of the site. This site is in no way cluttered up.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    yeah I am agreeing that you should be careful of what you post... my only regret usually is I catch a spelling error or grammar or something silly after the fact

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks
    It's been said, but no. Imagine you're on the winning side of the argument, and the losing side decides to delete their post. This makes you look like a weirdo who is talking to himself, and no one else knows what's going on.
    1.0 Normal {S.W.A.N.}
    0.1 Lesser Platinum {Genesis}
    1.0 Lemon Blast {Fabio}
    0.1 Borneo STP {Coho}
    0.1 Green Iguana {Goober}
    0.0.0 A. brocklehursti {Vengence}
    0.1 G. rosea {Kiwi}
    0.0.2 B. albopilosum {Sideshow Bob}
    0.0.1 G. pulchripes
    1.0 P. regalis
    0.0.2 Reef Tank: 20g, 9g

Thanks

Re: My personal opinion as to something they should add to BP.net

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I understand why you have created this post. The rules of this forum were made available to you before you posted your first thread. They are the same rules that apply to everyone that posts here. Why should they be changed because one person is disatisfied with the result?

However, your original thread and this one does bring to the foreground a larger problem. People should think very carefully before putting anything out on the internet. Be it this forum, or facebook , etc. You should think of it like firing a gun. Once you pull the trigger, it is no longer in your control, as is any collateral damage that results. And that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility or consequences.

Whether you delete a post or not it is too late to stop the ripple effect. Let this be a lesson to you. Choose your posts, words carefully.
    wow, like a gun? lol someone takes the internet WAY too seriously. Not that i'm agreeing with the OP but dang...there are way too many people out there to expect that we're all going to get along. Kind of makes it even harder when people take typing online so seriously.
    "It's no longer in your control" "collaeral damage" "Think of it like firing a gun"

Wow. Seriously? They are words, that can be construed any way. IN any way, in any light. It's more like art...you bring your own history and interpretation to what you are reading. Generally it's not as serious as people take it, and really, who on earth other than your friends and family are worth your time to consider internet posts THAT important? Surely i'm not the only one who thinks that. For instance is even saying this going to freak out a bunch of people? If so, you guys seriously need a life.
    14 snakes, 12 bugs, 1 skink, 1 frog, 2 dogs, and tons of fresh and saltwater fish. I've also begun snake rescue. What a ride!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast