Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

3 members and 3,433 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: My personal opinion as to something they should add to BP.net

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    I'd double check that. although you might find your experience here poorer for it. you don't have to like wilomn, but he has a way with words.
    I actually double checked and she is right about not being able to ignore paid members, however he does not have Mod/Admins privileges I want to clear that up, we are looking into it.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-30-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    I'd double check that. although you might find your experience here poorer for it. you don't have to like wilomn, but he has a way with words.
    I don't dislike wilomn at all, he can come off a bit.. grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I actually double checked and she is right about not being able to ignore paid members, however he does not have Mod/Admins privileges I want to clear that out, we are looking into it.
    Thanks, Deborah!
    Last edited by Navy; 07-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    -Hanna :)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    It's probably because I have my own forum in which I can act as a moderator.

It is the ONLY place on this site I can do that and I do not have access to any other Mod stuff. Outside my own forum I'm just a plain ol member.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    And awaaaaaaay we go...
    Yuppers....

Slim, where have you been? Missed ya.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    YOU ASSume much. I seriously doubt that anyone reading this thread will "freak out" at what you have said. Unless, as I suspect, like you they are 17 and know all there is to know now and forever because ''it's always been that way."

Do you understand ballistics? Once that projectile leaves the muzzle, the shooter no longer has control of it. It therefore, behooves the shooter/writer to be as clear and concise as possible to prevent those whose limitations, such as yourself, from getting it wrong, misconstruing, or just flat out not understanding what was written.

Just because YOU don't think it matters does not mean that it matters not. I take words fairly serious as a rule. I know I am not alone in this. You seem to think that a writer bears little, if any, responsibility for they represent by what they write.
    Why do you keep doing caps every time you type the word ASSume? Can I assume YOU ASSume you are being clever?
    For someone who thinks words are as important as a gun shot...

BTW do YOU understand ballistics? lol seriously...the person shooting a gun has complete control of where the bullet is going...it's going where you pointed the gun and fired. You can't control velocity. You kind of miss the point of a gun.
    And, therefore, i can see where you would think words are just as important. It was ignorant YOU ASSuming you knew.

Btw i never said i thought the posts should be deleted, i just think it's extremely over dramatic to say words are a like a gun. I'm rubber and your glue, so now you have words stuck to you! And they were stuck fast. Like they hit you like a bullet. But because i aimed i couldn't control the bullet so i shot and it bounced all over and then hit you, because i don't understand ballistics.
    Last edited by Missy King; 08-01-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    14 snakes, 12 bugs, 1 skink, 1 frog, 2 dogs, and tons of fresh and saltwater fish. I've also begun snake rescue. What a ride!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy King View Post
    Why do you keep doing caps every time you type the word ASSume? Can I assume YOU ASSume you are being clever?

BTW do YOU understand ballistics? lol seriously...the person shooting a gun has complete control of where the bullet is going...it's going where you pointed the gun and fired. You can't control velocity. You kind of miss the point of a gun.
    And, therefore, i can see where you would think words are just as important. It was ignorant YOU ASSuming you knew.

Btw i never said i thought the posts should be deleted, i just think it's extremely over dramatic to say words are a like a gun. I'm rubber and your glue, so now you have words stuck to you! And they were stuck fast. Like they hit you like a bullet. But because i aimed i couldn't control the bullet so i shot and it bounced all over and then hit you, because i don't understand ballistics.
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Wind, temperature, caliber, humidity, elevation oh genius of the firearm, are, from what I understand, all variables that serious shooters take into consideration, much as a wordsmith with a sense of humor, something you seem to either lack entirely or simply don't understand, does with how words, punctuation, grammar and spelling are utilized in center-punching the intended target.

If it was as simple as point, shoot and plink goes the bullseye, there would be a LOT more sharp shooters, don't you think? Much as when one tries ineffectively to write a zinger, but fails to understand or possess the requisite skill to do so, makes a fool of herself. Or himself.

I'm also pretty sure, though with the infability that comes with age combined with a large degree of apathy concerning the children currently posting here, that I was not the guy who brought up guns at all.

I'm always willing to take credit for my actions, words, what have you, but if you're going to be stupid enough to make accusations that any fifth grader could research and refute, any attempt at serious dialogue on your part is worthless.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Hahaha... "complete control of the bullet"....

Thanks. I needed the laughter, although I now have bits of fig newton up my sinus.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Go easy on Missy. Being in Cali I'm sure its hard to know about things they are trying so hard to outlaw. I think it is the cousins of the guys making the snake bans that's making their gun bans.

Wilomn, I'm glad you explained the factors that can control a bullet once it leaves the gun. I was about to.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

because i aimed i couldn't control the bullet so i shot and it bounced all over and then hit you, because i don't understand ballistics.
    Indeed, you do not. Seems that ballistics is not alone on the list of things you don't understand. I would recommend learning to research or a LARGE investment in foot powder before your next attempt and word play. I've heard you can get athletes foot on your tongue if you're not careful.

Let me know how that turns out.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

BTW do YOU understand ballistics? lol seriously...the person shooting a gun has complete control of where the bullet is going...it's going where you pointed the gun and fired. You can't control velocity. You kind of miss the point of a gun.And, therefore, i can see where you would think words are just as important. It was ignorant YOU ASSuming you knew.

And you miss the point of language.

I really think the whole point of the initial bullet/gun comment was that once it has left the gun, it is out of your hands. It is not about how guns work. It's about not being able to take back your actions. The advice to treat your words on a public forum as if it were the same as firing a gun, would be entirely accurate. What has been fired/spoken and then impacted/read/interpreted, does not simply disappear because you say it does. Arguing ballistics is like arguing whether you used a particular word or punctuation. How you punctuated or in which direction you aimed the gun, has nothing to do with the definite and lasting consequences of a bullet hitting a target, or words hitting their audience.

It isn't an argument about how SERIOUS words are, but that they can't be taken back once they're put here. Some words are like nerf guns, completely irrelevent and just there to fill space. Some are world altering. The point is you can't take them back once they've hit their target.

You mention people taking things too seriously, or saying people are being extremely over dramatic for saying words are like a gun. Nobody else thought they were being unreasonable or outlandish.. you are apparently the one getting far too upset about a simple simile. If I say a Giraffe is so tall it's like it just goes on forever into the sky, are you going to call me crazy for making a comment regarding the enormous height of a giraffe? Of course this is a silly comment to make, but not as silly as it would be to get mad about it.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 08-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567