Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,659

0 members and 1,659 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Smile Ball Python Newbie - Cincinnati, OH

Hello Everyone! So today I finally got my first ball python, and I couldn't be more excited! I have really become fascinated with snakes in the last year and my first was a corn snake, which I got in November 2011. He has turned out to be great, but what I really wanted from the beginning was a Ball Python. So now I have both! I have been doing research on them for the last year, and I have eagerly been wanting one as I learned more and more about them. After seeing them for months, I gave into temptation today (after researching of course... stated above). I got my Ball Python at the Cincinnati Reptile Show. There were so many to choose from, but this is the one I fell in love with. He was shy to begin (and still is), but is extremely sweet.

It is a male Pastel. After doing tons of research and seeing several pictures, I really ended up liking pastels. Don't get me wrong, I think the normals are beautiful and each seem to be different in their own way. However, when I saw this little fellow, I really felt like he was the one. The only thing I didn't get to ask the breeder was the hatching date. I know that many people don't worry about that, but to me it's special I guess since it is my first one. I do have the breeder's email though so I'll probably end up sending an email asking.

I know that many people prefer the tubs versus the tank (which from what I have read seem to be great), however I'm a college student living at home and when I mentioned the tub, my mother wasn't thrilled. She insisted he be kept in a tank (she seems to be warming up to him though
    ). I know it will be more of a challenge to keep the heat and humidity up, but I'm sure it can be done. Will just have to keep at it. I've put a boarder around three of the sides to help in giving him some privacy. We'll see how this works.

He was very curious when put in his tank. He explored for a while and finally found a small dark spot to curl up. He drank from the water bowl three times too! It's very hard not to hold him, but I know that I shouldn't for a week.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the feeding. It seems as if all the breeders at the show fed live to their snakes. I would prefer F/T. I have never fed live and I know it can be dangerous as the prey gets bigger. He is use to live food, but the breeder said that he is a good aggressive eater. Hopefully this will help some. I've also been reading up on many tricks to help convert them. Hopefully I will have some luck!

Here are some pictures . Sorry for the glare and reflection in some of them. I'm also still trying to think of a name. Any ideas? Also, any tidbits you have about ball pythons that you have found to be helpful will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance!!!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Hello and welcome. That is a good looking pastel!

Check out these 2 threads. They are full of great information.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...04#post1845904

Don't know what your budget is, but PVC cages hold in heat and humidity very well and most have the option of keyed locks. Tubs are great for humidity but heating can be an issue.

Here is a thread on PVC cages:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

What are you using to heat the cage?
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 07-09-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

dchapman10 (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Nice pastel, who did you get it from? I live right here in cincy too!
    0.4 Normals
    0.1 Het pied
    0.1 Cinnapinn
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Cinnamon
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Pied
    1.0 Fire
    1.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Hedgehog(Archie)
    0.0.1 Turtle(Mr.Puddles)
    3.2 Puppies
    http://theconstrictorlab.com/index.html
    Come Like Us On Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-C...90435107662206

-Kyle Gephart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kylegep For This Useful Post:

dchapman10 (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Congrats on your new bp! He's really nice looking! I would be sure to put a hygrometer in there, I didn't see one in the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pigfat For This Useful Post:

dchapman10 (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Newbie - Cincinnati, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Kylegep View Post
    Nice pastel, who did you get it from?
    I'm curious as well.

To shed a little light on feeding live. Feeding live is only as dangerous as you make it. It is all about being responsible and using common sense. Supervise all feedings and NEVER leave a feeder in with your snake unattended. I keep a pair of tongs handy to put in feeders mouths if needed and you may have to adjust their coils or even thump the rat if it poses a threat. The horror stories you hear about are very rare and the result of irresponsible breeders leaving feeders in with their snake unattended for extended periods of time. I feed live, always have and I feed off thousands of rats every year for many years now. I have had ZERO serious injuries. A lot of the other breeders here will tell you the same. F/T has its dangerous too. An improperly thawed feeder can be very dangerous to your snake, among other things. Again, its all about being responsible. That said, even an established f/t eater may need to be fed live someday. It isn't uncommon for them to change their minds without notice as to what they want to eat. So be prepared for that.

Lastly, congrats on your new ball and welcome to the forum. He looks great!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

dchapman10 (07-09-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to BP.net! Nice looking pastel you have there! As far as recommendations, I'd say buy a rack...at least an 8-slot but 12-slot would be better. It won't stop at just one ball python, lol! I started with a corn snake...and now I have 14 animals in my collection with a new rack on order to supplement the two I currently have. Best advice I could offer would be to read and research and if you're ever in doubt, don't be afraid to ask. By the same token, be willing to take the advice that's offered, as there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this forum who gladly share their experiences and knowledge. Good luck and look forward to "seeing" you around!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

11. The Following User Says Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

dchapman10 (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the links! Looks like I have some more reading to do now . I'm definitely going to look into other types of enclosures. I just had the glass tank so that is what I am using for now. I would like to get a rack system in the future. From what it seems on here, you can never stop at just one . As for the heating, I am using an UTH at the moment. The temperature is at 89.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Hello and welcome. That is a good looking pastel!

Check out these 2 threads. They are full of great information.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127203-Ball-Python-(Python-regius)-Caresheet

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...04#post1845904

Don't know what your budget is, but PVC cages hold in heat and humidity very well and most have the option of keyed locks. Tubs are great for humidity but heating can be an issue.

Here is a thread on PVC cages:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?165571-How-to-set-up-a-PVC-cage-(AP-T8)-With-Pictures!

What are you using to heat the cage?

For the heating, I am using an UTH at the moment. The temperature is at 89.

Thanks for the links! Looks like I have some more reading to do now . I'm definitely going to look into other types of enclosures. I just had the glass tank so that is what I am using for now. I would like to get a rack system in the future. From what it seems on here, you can never stop at just one .

*This appeared as post #7 originally. When I clicked reply, I thought it would put it under your comment instead of at the bottom. Couldn't figure out how to delete it so it's still there :-p*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kylegep View Post
    Nice pastel, who did you get it from? I live right here in cincy too!
    I got him from a guy named Fred Talbert. I think he is just a small breeder. He gave me a business card with his name, phone #, and email. I'm not seeing a company name or anything like that.

Do you go to the reptile show often? Silly question?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
    I'm curious as well.

To shed a little light on feeding live. Feeding live is only as dangerous as you make it. It is all about being responsible and using common sense. Supervise all feedings and NEVER leave a feeder in with your snake unattended. I keep a pair of tongs handy to put in feeders mouths if needed and you may have to adjust their coils or even thump the rat if it poses a threat. The horror stories you hear about are very rare and the result of irresponsible breeders leaving feeders in with their snake unattended for extended periods of time. I feed live, always have and I feed off thousands of rats every year for many years now. I have had ZERO serious injuries. A lot of the other breeders here will tell you the same. F/T has its dangerous too. An improperly thawed feeder can be very dangerous to your snake, among other things. Again, its all about being responsible. That said, even an established f/t eater may need to be fed live someday. It isn't uncommon for them to change their minds without notice as to what they want to eat. So be prepared for that.

Lastly, congrats on your new ball and welcome to the forum. He looks great!
    You really do learn something new everyday! I had no idea that F/T could be dangerous. I'll definitely have to look into that a little more. I guess the reason I don't feed live is because I would feel bad for the prey. Lame? I'm sure it is. I'm sure I would get over it as well. When I first got a bearded dragon, I felt bad for the crickets. How bad is that!?!? Within a couple feedings it was no problem. Just dumped them in there and watched him run and gobble them up! Everything has to eat too I suppose. Just life I guess

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Does your UTH have a thermostat regulating it?

What are you using to measure temperatures?
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)