Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Venomous Training.

I was looking for answers like Anatopism gave at first, not all this. Reason being, is because from all that ive read is that people say to start off practicing with a nasty colubrid.
    Hi i'm Californiakingsnake
    0.1 Girlfriend (Peachies)
    0.0.1 Columbian redtail boa
    1.0 Albino california kingsnake
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.4 normal ball python (1.2 het for albino)
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 aussie/beagle mix pup(Fez)
    "more herps will go here eventually as I get them"

Thanks
    I will probably end up dying from this hobby......That statement right there is a pretty big indicator that maybe you should just stay away from venomous snakes. The whole point of keeping venomous snakes is to do it safely. If you are keeping them properly your chances of being bitten and dying are slim to none. They make so many tools now a days to work with these animals you basically never have to put your hands on them hardly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

Mft62485 (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You don't realize it but you are getting the answer you need. Even if we did suggest snakes to practice with, you buy one, then you practice with it. I would put money on it that you would not be using the proper techniques and therefor when you get a hot you would have trained yourself wrong. No amount of YouTube videos are going to train you for hots. I Would also put money on it that a mentor would be able to tell you a good snake to start with, what they started with, and may even have one. That seems like a win, win, win.

I also think that if it was me. I would set up hot housing and then put your trainer in it. I would treat that snake like it was the most deadly thing ever. Without the proper caging your training is already flawed. Anybody can poke a snake with a stick! But put it in or take it out when thats not what it wants. Also if it was me my hot housing would be a separate room or better yet building. Double locks, no windows, and as snake proof as I could make it. You have yours planned, right?

You came to Ball-Pythons.net and asked a question that most of us here never deal with. We gave you an answer and because it's not what you wanted to hear you want to take it down, I bet you would get a similar answer from a hot forum. Have you asked your question there?

Have you even checked into the laws around you? Need permits? Register hots? Certain housing requirements? Some places do not allow "dangerous animals" and a mentor in your area would be able to help you with all of that.

You need to slow down. This is allot bigger situation then you are making it. It needs allot of planning and preparing and I don't think you have done the needed leg work. It is much more than poking a snake with a stick.

Also I think I need your job. To be able to get into hots and large pythons like you seem to be you must make bank. Snakes are not exactly a cheap hobby, if done right.

You already asked for help here so do it again and ask for a mentor.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (07-09-2012)

Thanks

No I havent nothing set up because I am nowhere even near ready to begin with anything at all. Yes I have checked the laws by contacting the Game and fish commission and there is nothing against owning hots in Arkansas. Might I add that me owning hots is not something that will happen anytime soon either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You don't realize it but you are getting the answer you need. Even if we did suggest snakes to practice with, you buy one, then you practice with it. I would put money on it that you would not be using the proper techniques and therefor when you get a hot you would have trained yourself wrong. No amount of YouTube videos are going to train you for hots. I Would also put money on it that a mentor would be able to tell you a good snake to start with, what they started with, and may even have one. That seems like a win, win, win.

I also think that if it was me. I would set up hot housing and then put your trainer in it. I would treat that snake like it was the most deadly thing ever. Without the proper caging your training is already flawed. Anybody can poke a snake with a stick! But put it in or take it out when thats not what it wants. Also if it was me my hot housing would be a separate room or better yet building. Double locks, no windows, and as snake proof as I could make it. You have yours planned, right?

You came to Ball-Pythons.net and asked a question that most of us here never deal with. We gave you an answer and because it's not what you wanted to hear you want to take it down, I bet you would get a similar answer from a hot forum. Have you asked your question there?

Have you even checked into the laws around you? Need permits? Register hots? Certain housing requirements? Some places do not allow "dangerous animals" and a mentor in your area would be able to help you with all of that.

You need to slow down. This is allot bigger situation then you are making it. It needs allot of planning and preparing and I don't think you have done the needed leg work. It is much more than poking a snake with a stick.

Also I think I need your job. To be able to get into hots and large pythons like you seem to be you must make bank. Snakes are not exactly a cheap hobby, if done right.
    You already asked for help here so do it again and ask for a mentor.
    All you got to do is be family with someone who owns a car dealership and will pay you under the table. There you go.
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by californiakingsnake View Post
    No I havent nothing set up because I am nowhere even near ready to begin with anything at all. Yes I have checked the laws by contacting the Game and fish commission and there is nothing against owning hots in Arkansas. Might I add that me owning hots is not something that will happen anytime soon either.

- - - Updated - - -

All you got to do is be family with someone who owns a car dealership and will pay you under the table. There you go.
    Kid, you're right, you probably will die from a hot bite. You're not smart enough to have a venomous snake. Or, unlikely but possible, you're smart enough, but far far far from mature enough.

Now, let me see, what's that IRS website that gives you a percentage of the taxes they collect when you turn in fools stupid enough to say things like you did on the internet? I think they're paying 10%. How much did you get paid under the table last year?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

KMG (07-09-2012),wolfy-hound (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Okay people you got me, thank you for all your "support" I guess you would call it. I will research a mentor around. Since someone thinks I posted about a retic just trying to get a response out of you, That is completely false. I have pondered on getting one for a while now, and now decided that I do indeed want one. So please people enough, I am tired of this, and I can see that i have become one of the posters that I am sure people dont like. So thank you.
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Okay people you got me, thank you for all your "support" I guess you would call it. I will research a mentor around. Since someone thinks I posted about a retic just trying to get a response out of you, That is completely false. I have pondered on getting one for a while now, and now decided that I do indeed want one. So please people enough, I am tired of this, and I can see that i have become one of the posters that I am sure people dont like. So thank you.
    I don't think people have a problem with you personally, least I don't. You may consider trying to learn from your "mistakes", especially if you want to work with hots and large constrictors.

Thanks

Oh I understand. My plan for my life has always been to go to college and master in herpetology (guess it would have helped to add this info wouldnt it?). I have always loved reptiles and I take very good care of the ones I have, I go out of my way to keep them healthy. When my favorite boa (my first ever snake) got mites I spent hours and hours of research and spent lots trying to care for it. As for the large constrictors I do honestly think I am ready for them, but that shouldnt have to do with this thread. So please, lets allow this to die down.
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe

Thanks
    Its just that you seem so careless about the subject matter and hots are NOT something to be taken lightly.

Its ignorant snake keepers that make us all look bad and harm the hobby.
    We don't want you to be that kind of person. Honestly you probably won't get much support with your arrogant attitude.

You need a mentor and even then mistakes and accidents happen.
    This is a huge decision and needs to be thought over for quite some time.
    It could be your attitude that ends your life.

Just think about it and don't be so careless please, for your and everyone's sake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

If you want the thread to die, stop posting.. What I was hinting at about learning from your mistakes, an adaptation you have yet to grasp.. If you decided to blow a kiss at your 20 foot retic, point blank, and got bit in the face, would you do it again and again and again?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast