Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

0 members and 3,346 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I think I got lied to...help ID'ing our baby

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    Maybe it's a Het. Pastel.

Disclaimer; there is no such thing as a het pastel, this was ment as a joke.

Actually ALL pastels are het pastel. The super pastels are homozygous.

The ugliest pastel I ever produced was sold at the same price as a normal, and it still looked more like a pastel then the one in the OP's pictures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    Maybe it's a Het. Pastel.

Disclaimer; there is no such thing as a het pastel, this was ment as a joke.
    I bought 5 balls off craigslist. a spider, 2 pastels and 2 normals. the guy actually told me the normals might be het for pastel. I was so shocked I couldnt say anything. I just said "oh yeah?" and quickly left with the snakes.
    1.0 Okeetee corn
    1.1 amelanistic corn
    2.0 rosy boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to darthsamurai For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (07-22-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I am sorry you had such a poor experience buying your first snake. Do talk to the breeder. Try to be calm and reasonable at first. Sort of, "I believe there was some sort of mix up when I got this snake, it was supposed to be a pastel. Did I accidentally get the wrong one ?" Not, "Hey jerk! What the heck do you think you are doing selling me a normal instead of a pastel, did you think I was so stupid I'd never know the difference?"

At least if you fake being reasonable, the breeder might be more willing to resolve the problem. Since this obviously isn't the nicest or most honest person out there, this approach might be better overall.

Of course, if the breeder makes excuses or continues to lie about what the snake is, then it's time to drop all pretense and tell the creep what for and let us know who it is so we can spread the word of the dishonesty.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

C2cwith3 (07-08-2012),Evenstar (07-08-2012),heathers*bps (07-12-2012),meowmeowkazoo (07-26-2012),moonlightgdess (07-11-2012),OhhWatALoser (07-08-2012),Pinoy Pythons (07-11-2012),Sama (07-23-2012),youbeyouibei (07-08-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    I am sorry you had such a poor experience buying your first snake. Do talk to the breeder. Try to be calm and reasonable at first. Sort of, "I believe there was some sort of mix up when I got this snake, it was supposed to be a pastel. Did I accidentally get the wrong one ?" Not, "Hey jerk! What the heck do you think you are doing selling me a normal instead of a pastel, did you think I was so stupid I'd never know the difference?"

At least if you fake being reasonable, the breeder might be more willing to resolve the problem. Since this obviously isn't the nicest or most honest person out there, this approach might be better overall.

Of course, if the breeder makes excuses or continues to lie about what the snake is, then it's time to drop all pretense and tell the creep what for and let us know who it is so we can spread the word of the dishonesty.

Gale
    "I'm a rolling thunder, a pouring rain. Coming on like a hurricane." comes to mind with that last line you put, lol! To the OP: certainly looks like a normal to me. Hope things work out for you and it gets made right; good luck!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

C2cwith3 (07-08-2012),Pinoy Pythons (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Though not a pastel, still a cute normal.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

It's a bit crazy to me to think that someone would actually try to sell a normal as a pastel. I guess people really aren't as honest as we'd like them to be. Maybe the extra $50 bucks or whatever was really that important to them. Its just sad.
    Brennan Roney
    www.allballedup.com

Thanks
    Of course there are always those people who themselves were lied to and they don't know any better.
    It just kinda sucks all around for the op whom got stuck in the middle. Always do your research before buying. Ask for clear pics in natural light. Always.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

Spookitie (07-14-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    Of course there are always those people who themselves were lied to and they don't know any better.

Ya know, I can't accept that excuse. (I know you're not trying to make an excuse for this ... But I gotta rant for a second. )

First of all, these are live animals we're talking about here. Before you breed two live animals together, you had better have a pretty good idea what you're doing. This isn't even one of those ambiguous morphs that trips up a lot of people, like a specter or a super low-expression calico or even a yellowbelly. This is a pastel, one of if not THE most common morph in the industry. And, no offense to the OP's animal, but that isn't even one of those super-light, "dinker" looking normals that some people confuse for pastels. That is a very very normal-looking normal.

I'm just getting my first few clutches on the ground in the past few years, and I have had no problems picking out various morphs from the bunch (including things like super pastel versus pastel and pastave versus mojave). I had one that confused me a bit this year, spent a half an hour or so looking at tons of pictures on the Internet and educated my eye better and figured it out. If the breeder was so new that he or she couldn't tell a pastel from a normal from across the room, perhaps he or she should have done a tad more research before deciding to breed two live animals together.

... Secondly, never mind the fact that they are alive ... If you sell something, ANYTHING, to another person, you really ought to have at least some idea of what it is before you put it up for sale -- or else say that up front. If someone hands me a comic book and tells me its the 1st printing of the 1st edition of Sandman, and I put it up on E-Bay as such without doing the necessary whopping 10 minutes or so of research needed to tell me that I got had, the person who buys it, unwraps it and finds a common old 75 cent third edition isn't going to take my ignorance for an excuse. (Note: I don't collect comic books -- at least not like that -- so I have no idea the actual values of these things ...)

Yes, I know, caveat emptor ... But I still do not believe that ignorance is any excuse on the part of the seller.

/Rant. To the OP, sorry this happened to you. If your little guy was intended as a pet, and you like him, then that's what is most important.

Thanks
    Oh no, as you said not trying to make excuse and I fully agree with everything you just said. Living in vt and being in this hobby I have seen a lot of those people that were lied to by Petstores, and then they got two and then they had babies. Ya know? I deal with this type of situation on the regular.
    But it's a fact that there are plenty of people that don't do their research but still breed and sell babies anyways.
    I don't buy it and I still personally think that that person straight up lied to make an easy buck. But... Well guess I was being sarcastic and in reality at the same time. Lol

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    I knew you weren't defending the breeder in this particular instance. I have just heard that excuse a number of times before in the world of ball pythons, and I just don't think it flies ... About the only time where there's a grey area, in my opinion, would be in the case of an otherwise reputable breeder making a mistake on a heterozygous animal that then gets re-sold. In that case, I would say that some of the blame lies on the original seller as well as the buyer who re-sold the animal ... Though, even that still isn't an excuse for selling a misidentified animal.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast