Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Leopard Gecko Eye Issues

I got my leopard gecko back in April and have been battling eye issues ever since. I took her to my reptile vet who is great with BP's, but he even admitted himself that he wasn't up to date on geckos. The treatment that he gave me (at a reduced price) didn't do much so I'm hoping I can find some answers here.

So I'll start off by giving you some detail:

I got this leopard gecko as a baby from a reptile shop. They get them directly from a local breeder here in the central florida area. she was healthy with both eyes open at the time of purchase. About a week later I noticed that one of here eyes seemed swollen and she couldn't open it. Ever since she has had issues with both eyes on and off.

Her cage is a 10 gallon glass tank that at first I was heating with a UTH regulated by my herpstat 4, but I've since switched to a infrared heat lamp that is regulated by my herpstat 4. I switched to try to lower the humidity in the cage (which was about 60% with the UTH and is now about 40% with the heat lamp) she is on paper towels, has 2 reptile basics "mini" size hides (one hot, one cool) and a humid hide in the center. she has a water dish big enough that she can soak in it, but shallow enough that she can't drown in it. She has a small dish with Repashy Calcuim Plus in it, and is offered crickets daily. I dust the crickets with calcium plus every other day. I had trouble getting her to eat at first but now she is a strong feeder. She does have trouble eating when both eyes are stuck shut but can still eat on her own (it just takes a long time) I feed her in a separate tub to make removing uneaten crickets easier.

Besides her eyes she seems normal and healthy.

Here are some pictures:

From the day that I got her (4/2011)

Here are some pictures from a about a month ago:

And finally some pictures I took today:

I can take more pictures/give any information I left out if necessary.

I will add that I have some Vitamin A power that I occasionally give her and when she eats crickets coated in the vitamin A powder she almost always can open her eyes for about 15 minutes after eating. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I figured that I would put it out there.

Also is it normal that her colors change so much? when I got here shoe had a lot of black on her... but now what was black now looks like blushing on a pastel BP and at times even yellow (illustrated by the 3 sets of pictures above)

Thanks.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I have heard that hatchling to adult colors can change. Is she always like that? Maybe she is just sleepy? I have no idea what would cause that. Stuck shed? Hope someone has some info. Maybe Heather will pipe in here, she has lots of gecko info.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (07-06-2012),The Serpent Merchant (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    She is like that all the time. I've read that it can be related to a number of things, everything from RI to vitamin deficiencies...
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Bump...

No one has piped up? Aaron has helped tons of people, anyone?????

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (07-05-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    For that last question, yes, your baby will lose the banding and gain spots. It's very cool to see and compare pics! The yellow can turn various shades during this process.

When he does open his eyes finally, is it cloudy looking or clear? Are the eyelids crusty? I have a gecko rescue that has spent a lot of time at the vet for his on-and-off eye issues, part of it was that the shed from the eyelid had gotten stuck in his eye. My vet says he is also not cleaning/licking his eyes like he should be, so his eyes are cloudy. Antibiotic cream under the eyelid didn't help him, but it was the first course of action my vet took, and maybe it might work for yours? My vet said there's not much we can do if he isn't cleaning his eyes except to clean his eyes for him when he needs it, which a good vet could probably teach you how to do.
    She looks like she needs a couple grams, but as you say he appetite is strong, so that's good. I'm sure her eye issues would hinder her ability to hunt, as that was the case with mine. Try free-feeing her mealworms in a dish, as they are easier to catch and she'd be able spend the time to poke her nose around and feel around for her food without the food running away.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdreptiles For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (07-06-2012),The Serpent Merchant (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Her eyes look normal when she opens them. My vet gave me an antibiotic cream and it didn't do much. Maybe it was the wrong type... I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 07-06-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I would have to say that maybe she has some shed stuck in her eye. She looks healthy otherwise, and you say that her eyes look normal when they are open. Do you see her licking her eyes at all?

I would also add mealies to her diet, just to give her more variety, and it being easier for her to eat. I use those little glass votive candle holders from Walmart for $.50 for my mealworms.

The type of calcium you are using, is it with or without D3?

And yes, leos change drastically from hatchling to adult!!
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have never seen her lick her eyes

Could it really be a piece of shed? This has been going on for months and switches between her eyes (sometimes in both at the same time)

The calcium supplement says that it has vitamin D in it (though doesn't specifically say D3)
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    It could be a piece of stuck shed in the eyelid, I had a Leopard with a similar problem. I used a cotton swab with either saline or warm water (i don't remember which) and gently rubbed it across her eyelids, which seemed to help. I would draw it back gently, just from front to back, as to not irritate the eye too much and also go with a more natural shedding direction. Also, even if its been going on for a while, a piece of stuck shed could just accumulate more skin and never come off.

I would suggest seeing a vet, but as you have already done that to no avail, it seems that an infection isn't likely since the cream didn't help, and the gecko looks otherwise healthy. So my input is probably some stuck shed.
    Last edited by StormSerpent; 07-06-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    1.0 Leatherback Het Hypo Bearded Dragon - Crush

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StormSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Eye Issues

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I have never seen her lick her eyes

Could it really be a piece of shed? This has been going on for months and switches between her eyes (sometimes in both at the same time)

The calcium supplement says that it has vitamin D in it (though doesn't specifically say D3)
    What I would try doing the next time you notice she is about to shed, is mist her. I always mist my geckos when they are about to shed. I don't mist around the tub or anything, just directly on my gecko. Once you do that, see if she starts licking at her eyes. All my geckos lick at their eyes, even when not in shed. Maybe some water droplets on/around her eyes would get her to lick them. I hope this helps.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast