Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,528

3 members and 3,525 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Sad (graphic) story with happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoduck View Post
    I was driving to my favorite fishing hole about a month ago and saw this woman's bull mastiff jump out of the bed of her pickup truck on I20 in texas. I pulled over and helped her carry the dog back to her truck, the whole time she's crying and saying she knows where local vet office is in the town 5 minutes away. As I picked up the dog from the "front" end, I FELT him die in my hands. I was so angry and frustrated that she had her dog in the bed of a truck ON AN INTERSTATE HIGHWAY that I didn't have the heart to tell her the dog was already gone. Please, DON'T CARRY YOUR DOG IN THE BED OF A PICKUP TRUCK! They are family members, and deserve to ride INSIDE the vehicle

- - - Updated - - -

I cried for 3 hours after helping this woman load a beautiful dead dog into her truck.
    I dont think thats a bad thing, you can use a secured crate or a tie and keep them in the middle of the bed, but an unsecured dog or person in the bed of a truck is ALWAYS a bad idea. People need to secure their animals and who take a dog in a bed of the truck loose on the highway? That is beyond stupid.
    I feel bad for the dog, but I hope it hurts that woman so bad so she never does anything like that again, its sad but sometimes things like that need to happen so people learn.

I recently read a story from a friend of mine on one of my dog forums and her brothers dog was in the vehicle with him and when they got into the accident the dog and him were ejected and they both survived but the dog lost a few toes and has some serious road rash, after reading that I went out and got a seat belt harness thing for my dog and secured him in the back seat of my suv on the middle most seat belt so if we do roll or whatever he is as far away from either window as possible.

I feel much better having him secured like that and he cant fly forward and hit the console if we brake hard or fly into the front seats of my vehicle and cause an accident or hurt him or us.

He doesnt mind wearing it at all, but if you do get one make sure its as tight as possible and the lead part connecting to the seat is as tight as possible only allowing him to get up into a sitting position, no standing or walking freely through the back seat, otherwise its useless.

This is Bear enjoying the car ride wearing his seat belt harness thing

Thanks
    Oh and speaking of hitting animals, me and my man were on the way home from partying all night and out of no where I heard a noise like when you hit one of those man hole covers, and then he says "we just hit a cat".. and I was like, WHAT?? Yep, we just hit a cat.. so I made him turn around in the road and drive back to where the cat was, and she was still laying in the road all sprawled out.
    Thank God it was like 3am and there were no other cars on the road.
    I hopped out and knelt down in the road over this cat and petted its body and said "kitty??" and she woke up, I guess she was knocked out or dazed, and let out this pitiful meow and started to get up.
    So I grabbed her and carried her to the sidewalk and held onto her and checked her over, she was bleeding from her mouth and nose but had no broken teeth or any obvious fractures on her face, I felt her body and she had nothing out of place or any obvious broken bones.
    I got back in the car with her and she was crying at me and trying to get away.
    We drove all around until we saw a cop and asked him where an E Vet was, he asked why and we told him we hit a cat, and the jerk just laughed at us!
    He told us where a E Vet was and we drove the cat there and signed her over to the office so they could work on her.
    I called the next day and she was alive and doing fine, they tried to tell me she was a stray but there was no way a cat that fat was just a stray lol
    I put pictures of her up on CL and that was that.
    Last edited by pookie!; 07-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Re: Sad (graphic) story with happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoduck View Post
    I was driving to my favorite fishing hole about a month ago and saw this woman's bull mastiff jump out of the bed of her pickup truck on I20 in texas. I pulled over and helped her carry the dog back to her truck, the whole time she's crying and saying she knows where local vet office is in the town 5 minutes away. As I picked up the dog from the "front" end, I FELT him die in my hands. I was so angry and frustrated that she had her dog in the bed of a truck ON AN INTERSTATE HIGHWAY that I didn't have the heart to tell her the dog was already gone. Please, DON'T CARRY YOUR DOG IN THE BED OF A PICKUP TRUCK! They are family members, and deserve to ride INSIDE the vehicle

- - - Updated - - -

I cried for 3 hours after helping this woman load a beautiful dead dog into her truck.
    A few years ago my mom and I were driving on the I-17 and a pickup truck had 2 gorgeous German Shepherd Dogs loose in the bed and out of no where one leaps out of the back. It was horrible, it was immediately hit by a truck going 80 and ping ponged all around hitting cars, blood and gore everywhere. No one could even stop without causing a pileup. The other dog was watching this and SCREAMING. The truck couldn't even stop so I don't know if they would have or not. We watched the whole thing, it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I very nearly cried, but being a man and all I didn't. (I'm actually a girl, to avoid confusion, since there has been some.) GSD's are one of, if not my #1 favorite dog breed too.

Yoshi has been secured any time he's in the car the entire time we've had him, he's NEVER ridden loose. When he was teeny tiny he rode in as small a kennel as he would fit in with it seat belted in place and as soon as he got big enough we got him a good safety harness and seat belt it and lock the seat belt tight. He's always loved riding in the car. When he was a tiny baby it was how we could get him to chill out, shut up, and go to sleep lol.

Yoshi when he was about 5 months pimpin' his seat belt harness on his pet seat cover:
    Last edited by Coleslaw007; 07-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks
    I am happy there was a happy ending for you Back in 2009 I was driving home and on the side of I-30 in Texas next to the concrete barrier was a small pit bull mix. I catch a glimpse of it, but couldn't stop, so got off on the next exit and double back, when I was on the interstate again I drove by, saw it, had my ex get a land mark on the frontage road, took the exit again and doubled back and pulled over at the land mark. I was pregnant so the ex ran across the interstate and carefully picked the poor dog up and carried it back to where we were parked. It had a VERY visibly broke leg, road rash covered in fire ants and couldn't stand. And was skinny. So we called the local vets, no one was in town due to it being labor day weekend, but I did get hold of a vet tech, they gave me some instructions to splint the leg and what to watch for. We took her to my father's shop and washed out the road rash, and splinted the broken leg. Gave her some food and water and a soft crate with a big blanket to sleep in and let her rest. She made it through the night, which we were all suprised, but happy. I went to clean the crate out because she had had a accident, and gently set her down out in the front of the shop, she had no use of her back end what so ever. And took the crate to the side of the shop to wash it out and when I looked up, she was following me as fast as she could on her front feet. She had picked up her back end off the ground and walked on her front legs after me. She won my heart at the moment. I continued to tend to her over the weekend and the first appointment I was able to get after the holiday weekend I took her to a wonderful vet in town who did a lot of pro-bono work on her since she was a stray and we helped her. It turns out that both of her back legs were broken, and her hip was fractured. Vet said i did a good job splinting the leg and to keep it up, and to splint the other leg aswell. Gave me some meds and bandage stuff and did follow ups over the next few weeks. No one ever thought she would walk right again, if ever. But she beat the odds, and walks normally, runs and jumps. The only thing is she sits funny She is a permenant member of my family, and one of the best dogs I have ever had.

Here she is after the visit to the vets office, she had put on some weight since finding her

And here she is now

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lana's_mom For This Useful Post:

MakiMaki (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana's_mom View Post
    I am happy there was a happy ending for you Back in 2009 I was driving home and on the side of I-30 in Texas next to the concrete barrier was a small pit bull mix. I catch a glimpse of it, but couldn't stop, so got off on the next exit and double back, when I was on the interstate again I drove by, saw it, had my ex get a land mark on the frontage road, took the exit again and doubled back and pulled over at the land mark. I was pregnant so the ex ran across the interstate and carefully picked the poor dog up and carried it back to where we were parked. It had a VERY visibly broke leg, road rash covered in fire ants and couldn't stand. And was skinny. So we called the local vets, no one was in town due to it being labor day weekend, but I did get hold of a vet tech, they gave me some instructions to splint the leg and what to watch for. We took her to my father's shop and washed out the road rash, and splinted the broken leg. Gave her some food and water and a soft crate with a big blanket to sleep in and let her rest. She made it through the night, which we were all suprised, but happy. I went to clean the crate out because she had had a accident, and gently set her down out in the front of the shop, she had no use of her back end what so ever. And took the crate to the side of the shop to wash it out and when I looked up, she was following me as fast as she could on her front feet. She had picked up her back end off the ground and walked on her front legs after me. She won my heart at the moment. I continued to tend to her over the weekend and the first appointment I was able to get after the holiday weekend I took her to a wonderful vet in town who did a lot of pro-bono work on her since she was a stray and we helped her. It turns out that both of her back legs were broken, and her hip was fractured. Vet said i did a good job splinting the leg and to keep it up, and to splint the other leg aswell. Gave me some meds and bandage stuff and did follow ups over the next few weeks. No one ever thought she would walk right again, if ever. But she beat the odds, and walks normally, runs and jumps. The only thing is she sits funny She is a permenant member of my family, and one of the best dogs I have ever had.

Here she is after the visit to the vets office, she had put on some weight since finding her

And here she is now

What a great story and cute dog to boot. So glad you were able to rescue her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The way we treat animals, and people, whom are not our peers, defines what kind of a person we are. Concern that she had hit YOUR dog but, no concern that she had hit A dog is very telling. I am sure she is really nice to her boss but I would not want to be 'under' her in the office pecking order.

The way I treat feeder rats describes my character much better than how I treat my prize snake. The driver demonstrated that she has a flawed character, you have demonstrated good character. You had nothing to gain but you acted with compassion and integrity. I pity her it is sad when a person decides appearances are more important than character and integrity.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wow, so glad the dog was ok! I'd have been horrified!

EDIT: totally misread the story. Redacted a sentence.
    Last edited by kdreptiles; 07-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I swerved my dad's pontiac grand prix to avoid a possum. Sad to say, I hit it and I almost lost control of my dad's car (it was raining really hard). I still think about the poor possum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123