Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

0 members and 3,151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

cant decide what to get

ooh man i dont know what to do.i had my heart set on a blue tegu and then i saw dwarf retics and fell in love with them.i planned on getting a blue tegu but then i saw the dwarf retics and wanted one of those.i only have enough money to get one and i cant decide so will you guys let me know what you think.also please dont tell me im not ready to get something like that and say other bs about it cause i do plenty of research and i am a very responsible person.thank you Gregory Bonner (Elite Morphs)

Thanks
    I would think the dwarf retic would be the more enjoyable of the two. Plus if you ever need any help you will find more retic keepers than tegu keepers to help you.

Thanks
    What is it you're wanting when you look for an animal? There's got to be a reason you picked those two animals.

I got my Leopard gecko because he can't climb and I can do an awesome terrestrial tank with him, and he likes to sit and chill. But I got my Corn snake because she's active and interactive.

So tell us a bit more about what you're looking for, what you're looking to do for a set-up, etc etc. Background information always allows us to help you find the pros and cons in things, and eventually help you decide
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (07-03-2012)

Thanks

Re: cant decide what to get

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliki View Post
    What is it you're wanting when you look for an animal? There's got to be a reason you picked those two animals.

I got my Leopard gecko because he can't climb and I can do an awesome terrestrial tank with him, and he likes to sit and chill. But I got my Corn snake because she's active and interactive.

So tell us a bit more about what you're looking for, what you're looking to do for a set-up, etc etc. Background information always allows us to help you find the pros and cons in things, and eventually help you decide
    i was looking at a tegu cause i wanted a larger lizard i could interact with and a retic cause i like the bigger snakes but not the mainlands cause they get to big for me so i was looking at the dwarfs

Thanks
    I'd go for the dwarf retic hands down.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks
    Which do you have the money to set up a proper enclosure for, including the initial cost of the animal itself? Which can you afford to maintain over the long run, once you have the animal home?

Thanks

i have enough to setup a cage for either one and food and husbrandy wont be a problem neither

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Morphs View Post
    i was looking at a tegu cause i wanted a larger lizard i could interact with and a retic cause i like the bigger snakes but not the mainlands cause they get to big for me so i was looking at the dwarfs
    After looking at both I be looking at the future and what I can provide for him in the long run. Like Anatopism stated this is what has stop me from getting what is my list. Just not ready.

"Anatopism
    Which do you have the money to set up a proper enclosure for, including the initial cost of the animal itself? Which can you afford to maintain over the long run, once you have the animal home? "
    Our Current Family:
    1.0 Green Tree Python (ARU)=Hercules: 1.0 Borneo Blood Python=Sir Lancelot
    0.1 Ball Python=Sheba: 0.0.1 Gopher Rescue=Dirty Harry: 1.0.0 Corn=Apollo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:
    1.1 Jaya Carpet Python: 0.1 Black Pastel Python:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Morphs View Post
    ooh man i dont know what to do.i had my heart set on a blue tegu and then i saw dwarf retics and fell in love with them.i planned on getting a blue tegu but then i saw the dwarf retics and wanted one of those.i only have enough money to get one and i cant decide so will you guys let me know what you think.also please dont tell me im not ready to get something like that and say other bs about it cause i do plenty of research and i am a very responsible person.thank you Gregory Bonner (Elite Morphs)
    Research is very important, but have you ever handled or worked with either of these species? I would recommend talking to some local breeders/owners that would be willing to show you the ropes of each animal before committing to one. Dwarf retics can still get relatively large, especially females, and retics are capable of a lot of pain if raised improperly. As for adult tegus...I'd say the number of positive "interaction" stories I've heard are far fewer than the "I got the bejeezus whipped/slashed/bit out of me" stories. I'm not saying that either can't be a rewarding pet, but I personally would want actual experience before learning reality the hard way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (07-03-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

please dont tell me im not ready to get something like that and say other bs about it cause i do plenty of research and i am a very responsible person.
    Research is one thing hand on experience with either of those animals is another.

I would recommend you to spend time with someone who owns each of those animals (and I am not talking about babies) and get some hands on experience with some adults including on feeding day for the dwarf retic.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (07-03-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast