Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,300

1 members and 2,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

BP Coming after me like I'm food!

I have a younger Spider which Ive had since late last year when it was a baby. Recently it comes after my hand like its food. I can tell its not defensive but thinks im food because it actively comes out of its hide and follows my hand. it hasnt taken a shot yet but I've seen that look a hundred times and I know if I get too close it will strike. My other BP is as tame as can be but this one I'm sure will bite. I believe its because I fed him in the cage a few times. When I was trying to make the transition from live to frozen, it wouldnt take it at all at first. Then it started taking it if it was fed in his cage, now it always takes it. I believe I'm feeding him the proper amounts but after a couple days hes right back trying to track me down whenever im cleaning his cage or I get my hand near. Is there a good way to get him back to understanding im not food? I do rub on sanitizer prior to handling by the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Maybe the sanatizer smell is too strong. Try removing the snake from the tub for cleaning.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    The look before a defensive strike and a feeding response is almost identical. He sounds scared to me, has nothing to do with feeding him in the enclosure I promise.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

SRMD (06-29-2012)

Thanks

Re: BP Coming after me like I'm food!

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    The look before a defensive strike and a feeding response is almost identical. He sounds scared to me, has nothing to do with feeding him in the enclosure I promise.
    hmm may be. I just thought that because he would be in his hide, and as soon as I start opening the top of the cage, he comes out and starts following my hand. I would be cleaning on the complete other side of the cage and he will come right at me. After that, he will follow any movement around him for awhile and then go back in to his hide.

Thanks
    Open the tub, and gently touch the top of his head with a piece of paper, or somthign else soft in the event that he strikes, he doesn't smash his face.. if he comes right back, to it again. Our biggest girl sees anything that moves as a potential meal, but if I gently touch the top of her head, she pulls back and I can lift her out of her tub. It is an entirely different behavior than being defensive, or the slow steady stalking of some of the other girls... but with rats she does the same thing. She's more liky my carpet in that she is an active hunter, and she hits rats HARD. She isn't nervous otherwise, and never hisses or gets defensive.. she's just opportunistic. I don't believe this has anything to do with feeding in the tub - we have 50+ other snakes who are not aggressive or stalk my hand like she does. IMO it's an individual personality thing - if she thinks there might be food, she'll try it out -- unless I gently remind her I'm a human, and not a rat by tapping her on the head with her feeding card/chart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (06-29-2012),Spookitie (06-29-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Open the tub, and gently touch the top of his head with a piece of paper,
    x2 this ^
    and also feeding him in his tub has nothing to do with as well.

how much does he weigh,
    what are you feeding him?
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Open the tub, and gently touch the top of his head with a piece of paper, or somthign else soft in the event that he strikes, he doesn't smash his face.. if he comes right back, to it again. Our biggest girl sees anything that moves as a potential meal, but if I gently touch the top of her head, she pulls back and I can lift her out of her tub. It is an entirely different behavior than being defensive, or the slow steady stalking of some of the other girls... but with rats she does the same thing. She's more liky my carpet in that she is an active hunter, and she hits rats HARD. She isn't nervous otherwise, and never hisses or gets defensive.. she's just opportunistic. I don't believe this has anything to do with feeding in the tub - we have 50+ other snakes who are not aggressive or stalk my hand like she does. IMO it's an individual personality thing - if she thinks there might be food, she'll try it out -- unless I gently remind her I'm a human, and not a rat by tapping her on the head with her feeding card/chart

This sounds exaclty like what I am dealing with. Will definitely try this. No hissing, and doesnt seem like theres any nervousness but looks like hes gonna come after me like he does with food. Great tip. Thanks! On the plus side, at least I dont have a problem getting him to eat haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

A few of my bigger girls do this. My bumblebee and mojave occasionally do. I always just keep doing whatever and hope they don't decide to try and eat me. They just get so darned excited about possible food.
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    My mojave does this nearly every time I open the tub. I just tap him on the nose and he balls up. Don't be afraid It's only a ball python.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just reach behind and grab them and put them back down. Rats don't lift them up, so they Know it's not a rat. Plus, I've been tagged before. Trust me, the fear of getting bit, is WAY worse then the bite itself. Of course you won't trust this until you get tagged a few times lol