Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,661

1 members and 2,660 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Clarification: Humane Euthanasia

Good morning, everyone,

A topic came up recently that I won't delve into too much, other than to say that someone approached our local herp group with questions about her gecko that's suffering severe MBD (drooping jaw, lethargic, non-responsive, body and limb distortion).

The first reaction, obviously, is vet care. Said owner has an appointment made for the animal. At one point the question was asked how a person can put down an animal that is suffering.

I have heard prior about some breeders who 'cull' their own hatchlings through various methods, such as if the babies are hatched with severe kinks, deformities or are not thriving.

Obviously vet euthanasia is going to be the best solution of all, but what do breeders do if they, say, have a number of smaller animals that need to be put down?

It was said that reptiles are different from mammals, and their brain technically 'survives' longer than ours would if their spinal cord is severed. So does that remove decapitation as a form of emergency euthanasia?

I'm just curious on this. It's a tender topic, and I certainly don't mean it to come across as morbid. However, I'd love to learn more about the subject for when these discussions come up.

What forms of emergency euthanasia are actually considered to be the most 'humane'? If you are a breeder and have had to cull, what method have you used? Do you feel comfortable with said method?

I don't encourage euthanising at home, but as breeders, I'm sure you guys are exposed to this situation moreso than day to day pet owners.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Destroying the brain as swiftly as possible. As nasty as it sounds if i had to cull a bp iwould probably hold it in place with one hand and then crush the skull with a brick in the other had. I always thought that decapitation then crushing the head to destroy the brain was the best but after seeing this topic come up from time to time that doesnt seem to be the case.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

mackynz (06-27-2012)

Thanks

Re: Clarification: Humane Euthanasia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Destroying the brain as swiftly as possible. As nasty as it sounds if i had to cull a bp iwould probably hold it in place with one hand and then crush the skull with a brick in the other had. I always thought that decapitation then crushing the head to destroy the brain was the best but after seeing this topic come up from time to time that doesnt seem to be the case.
    x2 It sounds terrible, and gross on our end. But total, instant destruction of the brain would prevent any pain. We shy away from methods like this because we like death to be neat and tidy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It would be best done by a vet. However emergency cases pithing is the fastest surest way. This would be very difficult for many to do however. The answer is going to change person to person. Freezing although not exceptionally fast or actually the most humane is still a viable option because it is easier to do than pithing so if a keep just cannot pith a beloved pet (understandably) and something needs to be done now due to a server trauma freezing is better than waiting for help.

emergency cases need to be done fast not wait if a person is not able to do the surest quickest then the next best option is in order. Pithing is the first choice but assuming a person could not bring themselves to do this the other bloody methods are also likely as well and freezing offers a easier way out it still is better than for example my case driving 30 min to a vet and waiting 30-45 for the vet to be avaliable.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I would never freeze under any circumstances Kitedemon. Im not quite sure if youre suggesting it or not, but i wouldnt do it, ever. I love my snakes alot, but if they were in pain and suffering id be able to kill them. I would rather do it myself than take it to a vet. Driving to vet and waiting there is just longer for them to suffer and be stressed. Plus whose to say the vets method is the best? I would think a needle to the heart would hurt more than instant crushing of the brain.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Re: Clarification: Humane Euthanasia

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    It would be best done by a vet. However emergency cases pithing is the fastest surest way. This would be very difficult for many to do however. The answer is going to change person to person. Freezing although not exceptionally fast or actually the most humane is still a viable option because it is easier to do than pithing so if a keep just cannot pith a beloved pet (understandably) and something needs to be done now due to a server trauma freezing is better than waiting for help.

emergency cases need to be done fast not wait if a person is not able to do the surest quickest then the next best option is in order. Pithing is the first choice but assuming a person could not bring themselves to do this the other bloody methods are also likely as well and freezing offers a easier way out it still is better than for example my case driving 30 min to a vet and waiting 30-45 for the vet to be avaliable.
    I would never torture a cold blooded animal by freezing....

http://www.pnwhs.org/Articles/Freezi...orm-euthanasia