Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,461

2 members and 3,459 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aww so many cute meanies on here!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Re: The 6th most dangerous dog breed...

Quote Originally Posted by dillan2020 View Post
    My wife giving him a treat
    That is either a very small woman, or a very large dog! Is he a Mastiff?

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillan2020 View Post
    Omg. that looks almost exactly like my pup. o: Mine's a German Shepherd Saint Bernard mix. The face matches exactly, he's just got a but more fluff I think. And he's a bit thinner because he has the metabolism of a child right now. v.v

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I don't have a meanie of my own to share, but if you don't mind me rambling on a bit, I would like to tell you all about my beloved Piper.

Piper was a beagle mix, and we shared our lives with him for 9 wonderful years before we lost him to cancer a few months ago.

Piper's story started when my little girl lost her cat. He was born to a stray we fed, and she let us adopt the kitten when he was weaned. He always was an outside/inside cat, and one night he didn't come home. Ambria was crushed, you can imagine. So I decided we would get a puppy. I always had dogs growing up, and I missed having one. So I decided to get a beagle, my parents had several, and they were wonderful dogs. Well, I scanned the classifieds in the paper and called number after number. There were plenty of beagles to be found, ranging from $325 to $500. I wasn't out to win a dig show, I just wanted a pet for my daughter. Then one day I spot an ad. Half registered beagle puppies, $40. So I called. The lady sounded nice enough, and she had a litter of 5 to choose from. So hubby and I talked it over, and we decided this was just what we needed. I know enough about registered dogs to know sometimes and accident can happen, and then the puppies can't be sold for as much, so I wasn't worried. Friday we went puppy shopping, and Saturday morning we began our trip. Little did we know that the drive that didn't seem very far, was actually almost 5 hours long! By the time we neared our destination, we were way out in the boondocks, and I started getting nervous. Something about this just didn't feel right. We finally pull off the gravel road into a gravel driveway. A dilapidated house on one side, a run down barn on the other side, a dozen or more cars and a big group of dirty men drinking beer. OH, this was such a bad idea! Then as we get out, a lady walks down to us. She hadn't showered in a least a month is my guess, and probably hadn't washed her hair in 6 months. By now my stomach is churning and I'm fighting panic. I keep my kids close by as she walks us behind the house, past a gutted mobile home and into a large yard. Everywhere you look are wire cages with a dog inside. All on stilts to keep them off the ground, and beneath each cage is 18" + of feces. The smell was unbelievable. I was as white as a sheet, and holding on to my kids for dear life as she took us over to a round wire pen with a corrugated tin roof and wooden gate. Next to this pen was a Bishon Friese in a wire cage. She was pregnant. She could sit down, lay down or stand up, she could not turn around. Her sides were raw sores from rubbing the wire. I was sure I was going to vomit. The woman goes over to the gate and says, " I put 'em in here when they us weaned, haven't been touched since!" and she seemed proud of that fact!? She opened the gate and what came out appeared to be a number of Tasmanian Devils! They were just streaks of color, you couldn't tell what they were. My husband asked about the lone female in the litter, so the woman chases one of the puppies down, grabs it in her arms, and brings it to us. The puppy meanwhile, is trying to rip the woman's face off. All I could think was, " And I am supposed to bring one of these home for my kids??!!"

When she gets the girl puppy to us, I scruff her and lay her down so I can look at her. She was mange from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail. Not an inch on her body wasn't covered. I shook my head and let her go. I start trying to count the flying blurs of color, the best I can come up with is four. I ask the woman where the fifth puppy was and if she had sold it. She said, "Nope, he's right thar!" And points behind me at the pen. I turn around, and a lovely 5 month old puppy walks out of the pen, sits down in front of me, looks up at my face and whimpers at me. That was all it took. I told my husband I didn't want to give this woman any of my money, but I would never forgive myself if I left that puppy there to die. He nodded his head. I gently laid the pup down and looked him over. Fleas and ticks sure, tiny spot of mange, we can fix that. Then I decided to se how he'd handle being picked up. Especially after that monster female pup. I gently lifted him in my arms. He looked at me, looked at my kids, then laid his head over my arm and went to sleep. I was crying by now, I couldn't help it. We paid for him and walked back out to our car. Hubby got his new collar and leash out. The woman speaks up, " He ain't never had no collar on, he'll like as break his neck!" I glared at her and she shut up. I set the pup down, showed him the collar, then put it on. He never twitched. I clipped the leash on and stepped back. he looked at the leash in my hand, followed it down to his neck, followed it back to my hand, and almost seemed to shrug. He started to walk away, and I waited until he felt the leash tug. I was expecting him to flip out, but instead he turns his head, looks at me in surprise, and you could almost hear him thinking, " What a great idea, now I will never loose you!" And that was all.

Now we faced the daunting task of a 5 hour car trip with a puppy that had never even seen a car, let alone been in one. We placed him on the front seat, between my husband and I, and he sat up, looking around curiously. When hubby started the car, his ears perked up. When we started moving, he seemed fascinated by the fact that the outside was moving, but he wasn't. After about 5 mintues he laid down on the seat between us and went to sleep. He slept the entire trip home, except for when we stopped for gas. I took him out on his leash, and he walked right beside me like he'd been born with a collar and leash on. He did his business like an old pro, got back in the car and went back to sleep. We had bought a crate for him, since he'd be alone during the day sometimes. We put him in the crate that first night, and he curled up and went straight to sleep. Never a whine or cry or whimper. The next morning when hubby got up for work, we expected he would have made a mess, since he'd been outside his entire short life. But he hasn't. We rushed him outside, I thought the poor dear would burst. But he was house trained from then on. He'd pick up his leash and go to the door when he needed to go out. We taught him to sit in one day. He was so very smart and so very gentle. He learned in two days he was forbidden in the kitchen during meals, but that if he lay quietly between the living room and kitchen while we ate, he always got a scrap or two from the table.

The only two times in his life he barked, was to protect us. One day when we had had Piper for a few months, my kids and I went rambling in the little woods behind our house. Piper loved these walks with us. When we got to the bottom of the hill, I found what appeared to be clumps of rabbit hair on the ground. The kids and I stopped to investigate, and talk about what we figured must have been a fox or coyote meal. Piper had gone on ahead of us as far as his retractable leash would allow. Suddenly he went stiff, his hackles raised up and he growled deeply. I looked up, very un-nerved, because Piper never growled. I mean NEVER. The he began to bark. These were not curious barks, these were deadly serious barks, and that was enough for me. The kids and I bolted up the hill for the house with Piper close behind. I don't know who or what he sensed, but I trusted his judgement over my own. The only other time he barked was even stranger. We lived at that time near a wildlife area and we often went fishing at the many lakes as a family. Piper was always delighted to go on these trips. He waded in the ponds, snapped at frogs, greeted every new person as an old friend, and generally had a blast. But one Saturday while we were fishing, Piper suddenly stood up, and looked intently towards the gravel parking lot. A pickup truck swung down into the lot and parked. Piper began to growl. A man got out of the truck, and took fishing gear from the bed. Piper kept staring at the man and growling. The man began walking down the bank towards us. Piper then began to bark, deep viscous barks, he meant to do damage to this man he had never seen and I was terrified. Piper had never acted this way towards anyone, not anyone. The man paused and spoke to us, and to Piper. I lied and told the man he was upset by all the strange people, but Piper was only upset by him. I advised him not to try and pet Piper, which he seemed to want to do, because I knew if he got close enough, my gentle Piper would have hurt him badly. He walked on down the bank and almost out of sight, with Piper barking the entire time. Once he sat down to fish, Piper quit barking, but he lay down to watch the man, and if the man moved to much, he would growl again.

More people passed us by, and Piper greeted them with wagging tail and slobbery kisses, but when they passed, he went back to watching that man. After a few hours, the man packed up to leave. As soon as he stood up Piper began to growl. When the man began to approach, Piper again began those deep, viscous barks that I had not even known he could make. He barked the man all the way back to his truck, and growled until the truck dissapeared. He then went back to greeting everyone who came by with kisses. To this day I don't know what was wrong with that man, but I promise you something was. Piper never barked at another person like that again. Not in 7 years. He was always a gentle soul who loved kids and cats. He even played with my ferret. I miss him so very much, because I know there will never be another dog like him.

Forgive my novel, it just helps to talk about him sometimes. Makes the grief easier to bear. By the way, yes I called authorities on that horrid woman and yes she was arrested. You don't want to know the details of what they found, but suffice it to say she went away for a long, long, long time.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-08-2013),Capray (11-08-2012),Coleslaw007 (11-08-2012),PorcelainxDoll (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Piper sounds wonderful Gale. I'm so sorry for your loss. That is a truly special companion. I hope the kids are old enough to remember Piper later in life. Thank goodness you took him home, and hopefully that women never gets within reach of animals again.

That was a wonderful read and story, thank you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (11-08-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    That is either a very small woman, or a very large dog! Is he a Mastiff?

Gale
    Yeah he's an english mastiff. it's a little of both she's a little short at 5'5 but he's very big. last trip to the vet a year ago he was 225 lbs and i'm 6' and he can put his paws on my shoulders and look down at me lol.

Thanks
    Uhm... EVERYTHING is dangerous in the wrong hands!
    And I forgot huw gigantic mastiffs are...WOW!
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Here's the picture I was talking about 20something pages ago. I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    brothers american bully

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snowcolt For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (02-10-2013)

Thanks

I always take Cooper to this beautiful park with a lake in the middle of it when we go on walks Mon-Weds-Fri & Weekends. We were sitting nicely on a bench when 2 women and 2 little girls are approaching down the boardwalk. The little girl gets close to Cooper and I say "it's okay! He's friendly!".
    The woman quickly scoffs at me and was like: "NO HE'S NOT! ANOTHER DOG JUST BIT A CHILD AT THE PLAYGROUND".

I'm sorry, WHAT!?
    What does that particular situation with that particular dog have to do with my dog?
    Logic fail.

Also, I said back in an extremely snarky tone: "Well I'm not forcing you to pet him".

That was that. Stupid woman. How does that even make any type of sense ever?

Anyway, here's the extremely vicious culprit!

You can see the devil in his eyes!
    Last edited by CatandDiallo; 11-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast