Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

3 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The 6th most dangerous dog breed...

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Oh God I cant stand that man lol and that dog is NOT an APBT (Pit Bull) thats more than likely some kind of American Bully mix, maybe one of the American Bullies that supposedly contain the OFRN "bloodline"
    Good dogs, great family pets and very chill, but not an APBT
    Alrighty then, if you say so.

0.2.0 Leopard Geckos- Gaia and Prim, 0.0.1 African Fat-tailed Gecko- Latte
    RIP Theia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KTyne View Post
    Alrighty then, if you say so.
    Im just saying, look up a real APBT and then look at Daddy, he is for sure an American Bully. So is his new blue dog, both American Bullies.. probably why they dont get into fights in his yard.
    AmBully are bred for less dog aggression and prey drive and more geared towards pretty house pets, like Chihuahua's..

Daddy

"red nose" American Bully

GR CH XI Bronson "red nose" APBT

Plus wasnt Daddy some rappers dog? They never have real APBTs lol

Thanks

They're called dangerous dog breeds because they are, some more so than others. Any dog can be dangerous in the right situation and under the right circumstances. Too often people down play the potential certain breeds have and the damage they can do when given the chance. They get complacent and in some cases delusional and think that because they raise them a certain way, then they can or will never do harm to anyone or anything when that's just not the case. Add to that the fact that people rarely research the breed they get, or just think that they can train out any negative traits. Those traits (genetic) can be managed but not trained out.

People are more than willing to accept responsibility and praise when the dog does what's expected. But if or when that changes they're quick to point the finger at the dog, or any and everyone but themselves. At the same time people on the outside looking in are quick to blame the owner, even though in most cases it is the owners fault,... but not always.

For me it's both how you raise them as well as their genetics, including mixed breeds.

But to add to this thread, here's 3 of my dangerous breeds.

Powder and Natsuki catching some rays on friday.

Powder later moving out of Natsukis way.

Cocoa razzing Natsuki

And Achilles nuzzling and dwarf bunny he watched me and a neighbor catch outside.

And 3 dangerous breeds with a fluffy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubblz For This Useful Post:

Poseidon (01-31-2013),SlitherinSisters (06-27-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    [I][FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]They're called dangerous dog breeds because they are, some more so than others. Any dog can be dangerous in the right situation and under the right circumstances. Too often people down play the potential certain breeds have and the damage they can do when given the chance. They get complacent and in some cases delusional and think that because they raise them a certain way, then they can or will never do harm to anyone or anything when that's just not the case. Add to that the fact that people rarely research the breed they get, or just think that they can train out any negative traits. Those traits (genetic) can be managed but not trained out.

People are more than willing to accept responsibility and praise when the dog does what's expected. But if or when that changes they're quick to point the finger at the dog, or any and everyone but themselves. At the same time people on the outside looking in are quick to blame the owner, even though in most cases it is the owners fault,... but not always.

For me it's both how you raise them as well as their genetics, including mixed breeds.

But to add to this thread, here's 3 of my dangerous breeds.

Powder and Natsuki catching some rays on friday.

And I recognize Powder and that gorgeous Tegu Natsuki anywhere!

Most of the times it is the owners fault, but yea on occasion you do get a dog that is just plain screwy and no one could have seen whatever coming.

Thanks
    Of course I recognize Bear and those ears

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess90 View Post
    I would definitely be more concerned about getting bitten by a small dog. Lol. I grew up with Huskies and Bull Mastiffs, so in my mind, those scary dogs are just cuddly puppies. However, I have to say I saw much MUCH more aggression in the Huskies than I ever did in my Bull Mastiffs. The Huskies have a very strong hunting instinct and don't enjoy being anything less than dominant in the household. At least not most. We bred them, so we saw more of it maybe...but still. The only ones that were completely submissive to me and my family members were the ones born in my house. They had a very strong bond with the family, and we with them.

It's funny...the protection breeds are my favorite. I love their fiery personalities. But, since I am still a college student and feeding a Bull Mastiff can get expensive, I'll take it down a size or two and get an English Bulldog instead. I love Bullies. <3
    My Husky always wants to be in control of the situation... and he is when it comes to most things lol he's about 6 months old and already if he has his mind set on something it can be nearly impossible to stop him. Their intelligence paired with with their incredible strength makes them difficult at times to say the least lol.

Very strong hunting instincts is the understatement of the century!

But my husky is just a big baby lol

I swear he is part cat

Pictures from the day I got him

Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 06-27-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (06-27-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (06-27-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    I dont know, what constitutes the dog being considered "dangerous"?

I mean my dog is dog aggressive to all dogs but my friends(and even then they are watched so nothing happens), would love to get at anything small and fluffy or yappy, as well as cannot be left alone with my cat or anything prey like.. is that dangerous? Or just him being a dog?

I think mainly the protection bred dogs are the real, imo "dangerous" dogs, because they are bred to protect their people/property. Now with proper training and socialization they should be fine unless called on.. but still, I wouldnt trust or just walk up to a PP Dobie/GSD/Mastiff like it was any other dog lol

I dunno, I tend to over think this question.. mainly because my dog, who is da and has a very high prey drive is considered "dangerous" and "bad" and I am looked down on because he is that way, like I did something wrong.. when its just him showing the traits of his breed and his genetic predisposition to be.. nothings wrong with him lol he is great with people and loves children, like a good Pit Bull type. Other dogs and small animals, now thats another story..

I dont have any recent pictures of him with kitties or cute things, because well.. he would rather eat them than sit still for a picture.

Also, that "dangerous breed list" is complete bull, and is based off nothing substantial.

I mean you hear about any "pit bull attack" as soon as it happens, but no one knows that just a few weeks ago a Husky attacked and killed a boy, or the sheer hundreds of reports a year of small breed dogs seriously biting children in the face...
    I was bitten in the face by a Cocker and a Chihuahua lol
    Along with the Dobermann, I have Ibizan Hounds and a Portuguese Podengo Medio.

The latter two will run down and kill anything that 'acts like prey', except for humans and there's not a single thing I can do to stop them [short of shooting them] once they give chase because they are 'primitive breeds' who were not selected for their human/canine bonding ability or trainability, being expected to work on their own.
    [they were created to hunt and kill food, 5000+ years ago]

The Dobermann will not allow anyone he deems 'suspicious' within 15 feet of me.

Which of my dogs are "more dangerous"?

Having said that, I do not personally put any stock in 'dangerous dog lists'.

I've had many Dobes in the past 37 years and not a single one of them was ever 'dangerous' to anyone who didn't desperately deserve it.
    In fact, several of them literally saved my life at different times.

FWIW, the Dobermann is the only breed ever created solely for the purpose of 'nailing' humans.

Yet they are infamous for their innate desire to love and protect children.

Mine goes berserk when the neighbors chase their granddaughter and she starts to run, screaming.
    He thinks they're attacking her.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

Kara (06-27-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (06-27-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Along with the Dobermann, I have Ibizan Hounds and a Portuguese Podengo Medio.

The latter two will run down and kill anything that 'acts like prey', except for humans and there's not a single thing I can do to stop them [short of shooting them] once they give chase because they are 'primitive breeds' who were not selected for their human/canine bonding ability or trainability, being expected to work on their own.
    [they were created to hunt and kill food, 5000+ years ago]

The Dobermann will not allow anyone he deems 'suspicious' within 15 feet of me.

Which of my dogs are "more dangerous"?

Having said that, I do not personally put any stock in 'dangerous dog lists'.

I've had many Dobes in the past 37 years and not a single one of them was ever 'dangerous' to anyone who didn't desperately deserve it.
    In fact, several of them literally saved my life at different times.

FWIW, the Dobermann is the only breed ever created solely for the purpose of 'nailing' humans.

Yet they are infamous for their innate desire to love and protect children.

Mine goes berserk when the neighbors chase their granddaughter and she starts to run, screaming.
    He thinks they're attacking her.
    Oooh I love me some sight hounds! Especially the Ibizan, so elegant!

I honestly wouldnt label either of the dogs "dangerous", to me they are dogs and should be treated as such. They arent children and thats where imo a lot of people run into issues, they expect them to act like something they arent. Dogs are dogs, they chase things, they eat meat, they might even bite if provoked or prodded. Even a bully breed who has been bred against it for over 100years, they in the end are dogs.

I have had a few Dobies and they were nothing but awesome with kids and our family members, other people if introduced right, but I do have very strong memories of them chasing neighbors(not the good kind) into trees and on top of cars.

I dont think any dog is inherently dangerous, unless of course they are those certain breeds who are NOT pets and are bred for the purpose of human/property protection.

I think people should use more common sense and not just assume a dog is friendly because of this or that, I dont let random people walk up and pet my dog because even though I know he wont bite and hasnt ever shown an ounce of unwarranted human aggression, I just dont think he needs to be touched by anyone and everyone, again he is a mutt dog and who knows if he might have some issues that could pop up at anytime.
    People also need to teach their kids not to run up to every dog they see and never leave dogs and kids alone.

Edit- I also dont think the Dobie is the only breed created solely for that, but the name, its a Mastiff type if I am not mistaken, was bred specifically for human stopping power. I think Dobie are the newest breed bred for that purpose though, and I really appreciate a good PP Dobie
    Last edited by pookie!; 06-27-2012 at 04:03 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post
    Really?

A friend of mine sent me an article of the most dangerous dog breeds to own and I could not believe Athena was on it. I get so used to being around bully breeds that are harmless I forget they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

I had to share this picture I got down at my parents. The kitten is a 7 week old deaf kitten my sister has been bottle feeding.

Anyone else have pictures of their dangerous dogs being cute and gentle?

Sent from my Samsung Aviator
    This isn't a photo of Odhinn being cute, per se, but it does show his remarkable tolerance for his "mommy's" Velociraptor-esque attacks upon him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO61Hq2r4s

The horrible snarls you hear are coming from the little 25 pound dog, not the 100 pound one.

She comes in low and strafing and 'mock hamstrings' him all the time and he's learned to dodge her.

The night he came home, she claimed him as "her puppy" and he still respects her as his 'mommy'....

As a wee pup, she even taught him that all-important task of cricket hunting because you just never know when he'll need that skill.

As you can see, he was a very focused student.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (06-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First of all, I do have to admit I do have a dangerous dog

Thor the long haired Chihuahua, he has bitten a couple kids. I told them not to pick him up or chase him....and they did.

He tells my moms Great Danes where and how they can do things, Herky cannot lay on the couch in Thor's presence.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to comment on specific posts, I have got to work on wedding stuff, only three more days left, YIKES! But a couple things I wanted to say. Huskies were on that list, they were closer to the bottom, but they were there. And German Shepards were #2!!! I totally forgot about them and didn't even think they would be on the list, I have not met a mean German Shepard! The list was based on fatalities in the US, they had a link to a page with all the dog related fatalities since 1988 and the news articles. I'll have to see if I can find the article, it was sent to my work email and I don't work the rest of the week. As I'm sure you know a lot of the fatalities are sketchy, stupid parents leaving a baby on the floor with a dog that has show aggression when poked/prodded, the dobie killings I read about didn't seem like the dogs fault, other than one may have had a neurological disorder. I don't understand how a dog, who was bred specifically to protect you, would kill you. That doesn't make sense to me.

I was never sure Athena would really protect us when push came to shove since she is so gentle and had never tried to go after someone other than bark and growl. My opinion on that changed and we no longer allow wrestling around Athena, she does NOT like wrestling! She had our neighbor's arm in her mouth before we got to her! She didn't hurt him, I think because she knows and likes him, but she was definitely telling him to knock it off.

I have never trained Athena to attack to told her it was ok. I feel like that is just asking for trouble. I like being able to have her off leash anywhere I go and trust her. I trust her instincts to kick in if the time comes. She is very well behaved and in my opinion, not all that scary. I'm sitting outside on the bench with Athena writing this and the mailman just came. Athena was laying next to the street off leash and I told her to stay and she just stood up and watched him, not peep from her. I do understand people being scared of her since she is a dobie, but I don't think she's dangerous as long as you act right. I do think people should respect the breeds though and not come up and pet them without asking, or just waltz on their properties. Any dog could bite you for stepping on to their property!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast