Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

1 members and 3,067 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

I'm considering breeding and freezing my own mice?

How exactly do you kill them? I don't think I could break their necks or anything, and just shoving them in the freezer seems way too cruel.
    I know this sounds stupid, but I've never done with before.
    -Hanna :)

Thanks

Re: I'm considering breeding and freezing my own mice?

The most humane way to kill a mouse is to make a Co2 chamber. they cost less then $50 to make all you need is a rubber made box, a paintball Co2 tank with a remote connecting them. If you go by youtube they have tons of videos on how to make them. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythongloves For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    I used to briefly work in a lab at a medical school, when I was an undergraduate. The most humane way is definitely a CO2 chamber (sounds kinda...genocidal, but you can do this to groups at a time). Years prior, they would break necks...but this was later deemed to be a less humane technique and was consequently banned. The CO2 technique is actually very quick.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    CO2 is definitely the best way. Done right, they just go to sleep then die peacefully.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    CO2 is the most humane way to euthanize them and have them safe for consumption. All you need is a plastic box, a CO2 canister from a paintball gun, and an adapter. Oh, and a way to make 2 holes in the box.

You are correct about putting them in the freezer as cruel. It is a long and painful death to be frozen.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    Like everyone else has said, CO2 is the way to go. You don't have to have a fancy set up either (they can be very expensive). I use dry ice and water. I have a small cooler that I put the mice/rats in, and a container with dry ice inside with wire mesh on top so the rodents don't walk in it. Pour water on the ice, close the lid, and wait.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Thanks
    I use cervical dislocation when I kill my mice. The moment of panic they experience with C02 seems downright cruel to me. I have never had an issue with CD though. Always died instantly and since my mice are so used to being handled anyway, they had no idea what was coming. It's a matter of personal preference in some cases though and you absolutely NEED to know how to perform CD correctly in order for it to work.