Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

3 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

View Poll Results: Do you soak your snakes?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • Yes - but only if I have a specific reason (i.e. stuck shed)

25 73.53%
  • No

9 26.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Soaking Your Snakes - Discussion and Poll

All species of snakes have skin that is made from Keratin. All snakes shed and I will go out on a limb here and assume that the same physiological processes occur when any species of snake does shed. While some snakes' ecology has them in water for long periods of time (water snakes, yellow anaconda) or just every so often (copperheads, cottonmouths), so snakes are just fine living in the desert. However, given that all snake skin is made of the same stuff, I do not believe there is a species of snake in the world that would be harmed by a short dip, to include your ball python, whatever the reason for taking a dip would be. They can, however, suffer from being wet for too long, with one of the issues that could arise being scale rot. I don't personally soak my snakes as I don't have a reason to. If I have a snake with stuck shed I will place them in a wet pillowcase for about 15 minutes and then take the shed off by hand; soaking is not necessary here.

If someone truly believes that there can be problems that arise from a simple, short soak, would you mind posting what they are and include some evidence to support your claim? I ask as this would be news to me. Is part of proper husbandry not providing a bowl large enough for them to soak in if they so choose? Thanks.
    Last edited by gsarchie; 06-25-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    theres nothing wrong with a quick soak unless they are in shed. from my understanding as other have stated before you run the risk of washing out the oils that allow the snake to shed there skin. Other than that I have not heard a bad thing about soaking a snake

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Soaking is a tool that should only be used in certain situations where the good outweighs the bad.

Most of the time the stress induced from soaking and the stripping of oils outweighs any potential benefits... but in a few cases such as stuck shed (after the BP has attempted to shed on his/her own) dented eye caps, and mites the good outweighs the bad.

Soaking shouldn't be thought of as a preventative measure, but rather a tool for certain situations.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I've yet to find a reason for soaking a snake. I can deal with stuck shed using the pillow case method, and I can deal with them crawling through poop with a baby wipe. The only thing that could happen to make me change my mind would be a mite infestation. *knocking on wood as we speak*
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (06-25-2012),interloc (06-25-2012),satomi325 (06-25-2012)

Thanks
    Good point, I had forgot about mites and how soaking is a good treatment for that. As to the losing oil issue, and I am in NO WAY being argumentative or trying to be an ass - is this just advice that has been passed around or is there some science out there than can back it up? I did my undergrad in ecology and am working on a master's in rangeland ecology, and you'll have to forgive me here but as a result of my schooling, field work, lab work, etc. I don't believe claims that aren't backed up by some type of science, be it a publsihed, peer reviewed study or just someone's personal experiences.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gsarchie For This Useful Post:

StormSerpent (06-25-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I don't know of "research" on soaking being bad for shedding snakes.

But I do know of empirical evidence. I know personally of 5-6 different owners who told me "My snake always has issues shedding and I always soak him before he sheds and everything!" I told them to stop soaking them, and to just provide a humid hide or adjust the humidity or just not to soak them(depending on what type of enclosure they use).

Every one so far as reported how the same snakes shed properly without the soaking. I explained that the snake wasn't having issues shedding and they then needed to soak it... but that they soaked the snake causing the snake to have issues shedding. Is it correct to say it removes oils they need? I dunno. It sounds right to me. I just know that it's been correct in my experience that snakes that are about to shed seem to have MORE issues shedding properly if they are soaked beforehand.

Soaking to get stuck shed off AFTER they have a bad shed is okay, although the pillowcase method seems much less stressful and easier overall. Just my opinion.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

BallsUnlimited (06-25-2012),gsarchie (06-25-2012)

Thanks

Re: Soaking Your Snakes - Discussion and Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The only thing that could happen to make me change my mind would be a mite infestation. *knocking on wood as we speak*
    Thats one of the tools I used to fight mites when I had them. I find that my snakes shed fine in the basement where they are kept. When I was noober than I am now, I used to soak my big male when he had a bad shed. Then I learned more about husbandry from all of you dudes/dudettes and havent had a bad shed since. So in conclusion, only when mites are a problem will I soak.

Thanks

Re: Soaking Your Snakes - Discussion and Poll

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I don't know of "research" on soaking being bad for shedding snakes.

But I do know of empirical evidence. I know personally of 5-6 different owners who told me "My snake always has issues shedding and I always soak him before he sheds and everything!" I told them to stop soaking them, and to just provide a humid hide or adjust the humidity or just not to soak them(depending on what type of enclosure they use).

Every one so far as reported how the same snakes shed properly without the soaking. I explained that the snake wasn't having issues shedding and they then needed to soak it... but that they soaked the snake causing the snake to have issues shedding. Is it correct to say it removes oils they need? I dunno. It sounds right to me. I just know that it's been correct in my experience that snakes that are about to shed seem to have MORE issues shedding properly if they are soaked beforehand.

Soaking to get stuck shed off AFTER they have a bad shed is okay, although the pillowcase method seems much less stressful and easier overall. Just my opinion.
    That is what I was looking for. So, whatever the reason, it does cause the snake to have a bad shed. Good enough for me to believe it. I won't pass it on as fact but will pass it on as a case of having heard of multiple cases of it being bad for the shedding process. Thanks!
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I posted this image in a different thread the other day, but it's applicable here also:

My vote is no, they do not need to soak directly in water.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    We haven't had to soak a snake in months, and we only ever do so for specific reasons:

1) Dehydrated rescue. I'm told some people soak in pedialyte or gatorade rather than straight water, but I've not had a need to do so.
    2) Bad shed or stuck eye caps. We haven't had a shed so bad to warrant a soak (usually just a small patch that flakes off just by dusting a hand over it), but have helped others remove eye caps by soaking and gently wiping the snake down with a wash cloth.
    3) Sugar-water soak. Not straight water, but can be good for wounds and reducing inflamation.
    4) Mites. Plain water or water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap to catch any mites trying to climb onto the head, a wipe down with reptile relief, and a tub sprayed down and dried with PAM, water dish removed entirely for 2-3 days.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 06-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast