Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

3 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency evac?

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks

Emergency evac?

So my city here is up in flames! Thankfully I'm far from the fire and it would be highly unlikely to impossible to get to me, however others are not so lucky. Anyway it's got me thinking how I would take my collection and what I would do to keep them alive for a couple days to a couple weeks. What methods have you guys thought of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm not sure how many animals you have, but get lots of pillowcases, asap. They are by far the easiest to put snakes into, and to move around, without taking up too much space. I'm not sure if you would need additional heating where you are at this time of year, but putting them under the covers with you at night will help keep them warm, and you can use a few hand warmers (not in an enclosed space) during the day if you can't be with them. Never hurts to have a couple extra sterilite tubs, and dishes to offer water, if necessary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

KMG (06-24-2012)

Thanks

Re: Emergency evac?

My city I live in just had a huge wildfire sweep within 100 yards of town...my area was up wind a mile so didn't have to evac....im wondering the same thing

Thanks
    Pillowcases and a couple tubberware in case you have a large collection. That way you can put more pillow cases/ snakes in at a time for faster evac. A spray bottle for humidity purposes, if you have eggs waiting to hatch a cooler with wheels, temp gun in case you're concerned about keeping them warm. Most of all, a friend or family member willing to take all of you in.
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Same Thought

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Having a small collection I do have a container for each so I could move them fairly easy. My real fair is loosing power. During the last hurricane that hit Houston I was without power for a week and a half. (Didn't have them then) I guess I would hope that the temps here would be close enough to keep them happy until power was restored. I Guess at that time I would be thankful for humidity.

It is usually warm enough here for them but if it got to cool I would try placing the break open hand warmers under the tanks for heat first. If that didn't work I guess I would have to bring them in container with a fee lamps to work. I'm sure that would go over great.

Being in the emergency service loop I don't get to flee and have to hunker down, work, and try to make it through. Makes my option choices different.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Personally, I make sure that all of my tubs have lids so that if we have to evac, I can just take the snake, tub and all, with me. I also keep extra heating mats and have 4 hydrofarms that could be quickly taken with me. There is also a converter in my car so that if needed, I can hook up a temporary system in there for them. That would be in the event of a long evac. For short term, I have small tubs for all the corns and bags for the balls. Anything longer than 24 hours though, and their whole system will go with us. Eggs could be done similarly though with my corn eggs, I've never thought about it too deeply.

You might also want to see how long it would take you to actually evac your animals. In many instances, you aren't given much notice and if the winds were to change with the fires, you may only have a few minutes to an hour to get out. Keep everything near each animal that you would need to evac them that way, if something happens, you don't have to look for it.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks
    I don't have a hurricane, flood, fire, or earthquake threat... for once I'm really glad Oklahoma is in the middle and far away from all major disasters. The last time we had a blizzard it lasted for twwo weeks and knocked a tree on top of our house. Not once did we lose power so I usually don't worry about evac but if I had to I would just take them to my boyfriends house which is in a major city
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    I literally just posted a similar thread a couple hours ago due to today's Tornado scares here in Florida. I panicked not knowing what to do with my animals if I had to hunker down. In a way, I'm glad it happened because I never would have thought of it otherwise. Now I am going to set out pillow cases and keep a couple extra tubs lying around just in case. I already bought extra smoke alarms a few weeks ago. Lucky for me, the temps and humidity here are ideal in or out of the cage...as long as there's no air conditioning.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Chick View Post
    I don't have a hurricane, flood, fire, or earthquake threat... for once I'm really glad Oklahoma is in the middle and far away from all major disasters. The last time we had a blizzard it lasted for twwo weeks and knocked a tree on top of our house. Not once did we lose power so I usually don't worry about evac but if I had to I would just take them to my boyfriends house which is in a major city
    Don't you have allot of tornados? No warning system to let you know to take cover?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    They usually post warnings but tornadoes are fickle things sometimes they form in minutes and other times it can take hours or never form at all so you never know about them
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast