Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

2 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

1.2 ASF colony one momma eating babies

So one of my females had her first litter today. I kept a close eye on them to see what they would do. At first everything seemed fine. All three were laying together with the pinks, cleaning them off and moving them back to the pile if they strayed, but then one of the females (the one who is still preggo, has not had her litter yet) took one of the pinks and just started eating it...Alive. I didn't think much of it until she took a second one and started eating that one too!

I removed the cannabalistic female and put her in her own tub.

I just want to confirm with the rest of you that this is the best thing to do? The other momma seems to be doing a good job with her babies (not eating them) and the male is taking care of the babies as well.

Thoughts?
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    I have a 1:3. One mama had her litter, and she ate the babies. Second mama had her litter and everything is fine. The First mama is still in with the other babies and is doing fine. I'd put the girl back in, but if she does it again (whether to her babies or the others) I'd feed her off.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    I'd leave her in with the other two if I hadn't noticed the other momma trying to take back her half eaten babies...She seemed pretty pissed that the other girl was taking her little ones and chowing down on them. How rude eating someone else's babies! Especially when she is willing to take care of them.

The litter would have been 8 if she hadn't eaten two of them.

Also I don't want to feed her off just yet because she is about to burst with babies. Perhaps if she starts eating her own I will. Is it possible to throw a bunch of pinks from the cannibal mom in with the pinks from my good mom?
    Last edited by Kaorte; 06-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    I've never done it myself, as this is my first litter ever, but from scoping threads, it seems to be fine.

Some people will mix ASF pinks in with mice, if the mama dies etc. I don't see why it woulnt work.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    I'd think culling the cannibal and all children would be best so that you can work towards breeding out this tendency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: 1.2 ASF colony one momma eating babies

I have several breeding colonies and have bred over 200 asf's first time moms will eat their babies and so will the others. When one ASF is pregnant, any other females in the colony will start to lactate so they can help nurse. they are a milk factory. This requires a lot of energy and if they don't get enough, they will eat one of the pinkys to produce enough nutrient and fat they need to keep the colony going. Do Not remove the female. You will not be able to introduce her back without her being attacked. Leave them all together. Just bump up the protein and fat in their diet. Offer plenty of sunflower seeds. put in raw spinach leaves. on my very first litter of 11, they ate 10. after that first litter, when I offered more food, I had no losses.

within 2 weeks of the female dropping her litter she will be pregnant again soon after and drop another. don't worry it is a part of breeding ASF's not pleasant to watch but natural.

ASF's ingeneral are some of the best parents, even the males take part and when you have hopper, they will help clean and care for the new pinkies
    Tom

0.1 Citrus Pewter
    1.1 Butterscotch Orange Ghost
    1.2 Lesser
    0.1 Blonde Pastel
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Het Clown
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 IMG Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.6 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Panther Chameleon
    1.1 Red Eye Tree Frog
    1.0 Albino Red Eye tree Frog
    1.0 Waxy Monkey Frog
    1.2 Human Children

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MeinDraco For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (06-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeinDraco View Post
    I have several breeding colonies and have bred over 200 asf's first time moms will eat their babies and so will the others. When one ASF is pregnant, any other females in the colony will start to lactate so they can help nurse. they are a milk factory. This requires a lot of energy and if they don't get enough, they will eat one of the pinkys to produce enough nutrient and fat they need to keep the colony going. Do Not remove the female. You will not be able to introduce her back without her being attacked. Leave them all together. Just bump up the protein and fat in their diet. Offer plenty of sunflower seeds. put in raw spinach leaves. on my very first litter of 11, they ate 10. after that first litter, when I offered more food, I had no losses.

within 2 weeks of the female dropping her litter she will be pregnant again soon after and drop another. don't worry it is a part of breeding ASF's not pleasant to watch but natural.

ASF's ingeneral are some of the best parents, even the males take part and when you have hopper, they will help clean and care for the new pinkies
    I've already removed her for a few hours. Do you think it would be okay to reintroduce her? She will probably drop her litter in the next few days.

I had a feeling it might be related to nutrition. I will grab some sunflower seeds and spinach and see how that goes.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I've already removed her for a few hours. Do you think it would be okay to reintroduce her? She will probably drop her litter in the next few days.

I had a feeling it might be related to nutrition. I will grab some sunflower seeds and spinach and see how that goes.

Yes a few hours is fine. Its when they are separated for several days and then re-introduced is when you have a problem.
    Tom

0.1 Citrus Pewter
    1.2 Lesser
    0.1 Blonde Pastel
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Het Clown
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 IMG Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.6 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Panther Chameleon
    1.1 Red Eye Tree Frog
    1.0 Albino Red Eye tree Frog
    1.0 Waxy Monkey Frog
    1.2 Human Children

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MeinDraco For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (06-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeinDraco View Post
    Yes a few hours is fine. Its when they are separated for several days and then re-introduced is when you have a problem.
    Cool, I will toss her back in then. Hopefully she at least spares a few babies.. It's just so sad to watch the other mother try and grab her half eaten babies back!
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Cool, I will toss her back in then. Hopefully she at least spares a few babies.. It's just so sad to watch the other mother try and grab her half eaten babies back!
    yeah its rather disturbing because the ALWAYS start with the head. once the other one drops her litter and you have some extra food you shouldn'r lose any. If you do, just hang in there, they will get their fill and on the next litters yo uwill have more survivors. on my first litter where they ate all but one, we named the survivor Lucky and kept him to start his own colony. I figured he deserved it.

you may see the male try to eat one. if he does, it is because he wants to breed again and the two prgo females will ignore him to care for the new ones. The females may even beat him up a little out of frustration. it almost they are saying "I am a little busy raising your babies, you can wait" they will get into their cycle and produce well. it's just adjusting to a first time parenting thing for them.
    Tom

0.1 Citrus Pewter
    1.2 Lesser
    0.1 Blonde Pastel
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Het Clown
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 IMG Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.6 Normal