Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

1 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you care to see here is a couple pictures of my kind little female leo, Mogwai. She is very docile for a leopard gecko but still nowhere near the level of fatties. Personally I'd go and handle a few in person to see what YOU prefer.

Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Thanks
    I prefer Leos but I haven't had experience with Fatties so I'm kind of bias. What I hear about Fat-tails personalities though I think they would be the go-to Gecko. My Leo Gaia is a fiesty little Diva! She has no problem wagging her tail at you to tell you to back off and she gets really "predatory" at feeding time. She's also jumpy if you make too sudden a move or if there is a loud noise.
    I'm hoping to get a baby Fat-tail soon so I will update my opinion then.

0.2.0 Leopard Geckos- Gaia and Prim, 0.0.1 African Fat-tailed Gecko- Latte
    RIP Theia

Thanks
    I prefer leos over fat tails just because most morphs are cheaper, other than that they are even in my book. No 2 animals are the same so I have a hard time saying one is more "user friendly" than the other. I tried to upload a pic using tapatalk but it's being annoying and not letting me load an image so here is a photo bucket link. This is a girl I used to own.

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...er_media_share

I dont keep geckos anymore because of my true HATE for crickets but I am acquiring some dubias in the very near future maybe geckos will be in my future as well.

Thanks

Re: Leo vs. Fat tail?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    No 2 animals are the same so I have a hard time saying one is more "user friendly" than the other. I dont keep geckos anymore because of my true HATE for crickets but I am acquiring some dubias in the very near future maybe geckos will be in my future as well.
    How are you saying they are the same? One is from Africa the other is from the Middle East and dry areas of Asia. That's like saying crested geckos and day geckos are the same because they can both live in Exo-Terra enclosures and can eat meal replacement diets. They are vastly different from one another. A lot of people mix them up from seeing pictures of them, once you look at a few you will notice big differences. Leopard geckos have more a bull dog head fatties have a round face with big doe eyes. Fatties are just chunkier all around, leos are lean; fatties have much smaller feet as well. Leopard geckos are much more active requiring slightly larger enclosures; fat tails are almost always hiding in the same spot in their tubs. They are very similar to ball pythons (they come from the same region) hiding all the time in small burrows. Even the base morphs are completely different. I'm not a fan of albino leopards but amel fat tails are stunning, there are many affordable morphs to work with in the fat tail world to produce awesome combos or more base morphs, amels, carmels, granites, whiteouts, caramels, zeros, white socks, and various hets. Their personalities are like day and night between the two. Handle multiple animals from each species and you will notice these differences in no time.

I also hate crickets and gave up on geckos many years ago until I discovered how easy roaches were to breed. Dubia and lateralis are amazing feeders with little care. I'd highly recommend feeding these prey items over crickets. Since roaches are mostly herbivores you don't have to worry about them munching on your geckos if you let your prey free roam in their setups like you would with crickets.
    Last edited by EverEvolvingExotics; 06-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    How are you saying they are the same? One is from Africa the other is from the Middle East and dry areas of Asia. That's like saying crested geckos and day geckos are the same because they can both live in Exo-Terra enclosures and can eat meal replacement diets. They are vastly different from one another. A lot of people mix them up from seeing pictures of them, once you look at a few you will notice big differences. Leopard geckos have more a bull dog head fatties have a round face with big doe eyes. Fatties are just chunkier all around, leos are lean; fatties have much smaller feet as well. Leopard geckos are much more active requiring slightly larger enclosures; fat tails are almost always hiding in the same spot in their tubs. They are very similar to ball pythons (they come from the same region) hiding all the time in small burrows. Even the base morphs are completely different. I'm not a fan of albino leopards but amel fat tails are stunning, there are many affordable morphs to work with in the fat tail world to produce awesome combos or more base morphs, amels, carmels, granites, whiteouts, caramels, zeros, white socks, and various hets. Their personalities are like day and night between the two. Handle multiple animals from each species and you will notice these differences in no time.

I also hate crickets and gave up on geckos many years ago until I discovered how easy roaches were to breed. Dubia and lateralis are amazing feeders with little care. I'd highly recommend feeding these prey items over crickets. Since roaches are mostly herbivores you don't have to worry about them munching on your geckos if you let your prey free roam in their setups like you would with crickets.
    I think he was saying that they aren't the same, as no two geckos are alike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to liv For This Useful Post:

EverEvolvingExotics (06-23-2012)

Thanks

Haha, I read it multiple times before I posted. I thought he was saying No 2 as in (number 2 reason). I don't know, it's early for me. Whelp, there's now a novel on the differences between fat tails and leos for everyone to read.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    Haha, I read it multiple times before I posted. I thought he was saying No 2 as in (number 2 reason). I don't know, it's early for me. Whelp, there's now a novel on the differences between fat tails and leos for everyone to read.
    Lol not number two but no two.

Thanks

ok guys i got my first leo today. Its a male patternless albino. ill try to post a picture when i learn how too.
    Last edited by californiakingsnake; 06-23-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Hi i'm Californiakingsnake
    0.1 Girlfriend (Peachies)
    0.0.1 Columbian redtail boa
    1.0 Albino california kingsnake
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.4 normal ball python (1.2 het for albino)
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 aussie/beagle mix pup(Fez)
    "more herps will go here eventually as I get them"

Thanks
    Congrats, to post pictures upload them to a photo sharing site like photobucket and copy/paste the IMG code directly into your thread. It's very convientent and easy to do.

Thanks

My first leo!!!
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 08-14-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Hi i'm Californiakingsnake
    0.1 Girlfriend (Peachies)
    0.0.1 Columbian redtail boa
    1.0 Albino california kingsnake
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.4 normal ball python (1.2 het for albino)
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 aussie/beagle mix pup(Fez)
    "more herps will go here eventually as I get them"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12